Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Passing On the Torch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Passing On the Torch Reply with quote

I’ve led this site for some time: Something like 2 years of behind-the-scenes calling the shots and making sure things get done. I was there for the appointment of every CM on the Council, there for every makeover LVI went under as it kept improving through the ages to its current status, and there to watch as some CMs and members of the site left and didn’t come back.
I witnessed how a busy schedule can consume even the most diligent of us as LC – Lostcalier (Aimee), our beloved site founder – gradually drifted away with her crazy RL and I took command of the site. I realized – through her and others – that people aren’t going to be around here forever. Sometimes they have to move on. Once I understood this, I decided that if people had to leave, then the best thing to do would be to make it so LVI can run without them.
I kept this in mind as LVI 5.0 came around. I made it so people could edit their own videos and such – cutting down on CM work, I made things simpler behind-the-scenes so CMs without webmastery experience could run things without a problem, and I added a voting system that would make it so that – worst comes to worst, and the Council is gone – the vids would still get the quality ratings they deserve and the site would stay organized.
I did all this because I knew that some day soon I wouldn’t be able to keep up with things anymore. That it’d get a bit too hectic for me to handle leading this site. And I wanted to make sure that when that day came, I’d be giving this new leader all the options he/she needs to run the site as well as always, and keep things going forward.

Well, that day is today.

It’s been an honour leading this site for so long, and I will enjoy hanging out on the forums and continuing to bring new cool features as a site webmaster, but it’s time for me to retire as the head of the site. I’m just not around enough to do all that is needed of me anymore. I keep finding myself actually holding LVI back, and it deserves more than that. It deserves someone who’s here all the time, who has time to vote, watch vids, take charge, and come up with new ideas – instead of just trying to desperately catch up constantly like I’ve been doing.
This plan to pass on the leadership of the site has been going for a while - before 5.0, actually - but due to a ton of stuff happening in this past year LVI-wise I just haven't been able to get around to it until now. But it can't wait any longer. The site needs a new stable leader that will be here more often than I have been of late. Add in the fact I’m going on vacation for much of August, then I’m off to University – where I’m sure to be getting a lot less time than I do now – and it seems natural that now is finally the time for me to pass on the torch.
I will miss being the boss around here, but don't worry - I won't be going anywhere. I may not be around quite as frequently, but I hope I will still be able to have fun on the forums, watch some vids, and work on webmaster stuff.

Perhaps it hasn’t always been made clear to everyone I was the one calling the shots the last year or two. In a way, that was because it was never truly clear to me either. LC drifting off without directly appointing a new leader, and having no way to really put CMs who haven’t directly resigned out of the spotlight, it kinda came unclear to the public who was “here”.
To solve that problem, we’re gonna have a Part-Time CMs status for those of us who just aren’t around all that often – but still come around now and then to help out with voting and the odd decision. It’s just a way to make sure you know who to turn to when you need help (or more accurately, who not to).
So, some CMs going to part-time are:
Lostcalier, Enchirito, Lostzilla, Crazymol4588, Rocksiren, and Cylune. They’ve each done an amazing job back when they were active, but right now their lives are just a bit too hectic to be around here all the time. But they may be coming back and becoming more active at some point.
( Also, I hope that makes some things clear, like why we seem to have 13 CMs but can’t even vote on some vids for many days . The truth is, we don’t have that many fully active CMs at any one point. We just try and keep as many active CMs as we need to keep voting under control. )

I’ll also be changing the LVI Council Page to show these changes very soon.

And so, with me stepping down as site leader, someone new needs to take my place – someone who will, this time, clearly be the leader of this place, and who can hopefully take LVI to new heights. I want it to be clear that I’m giving this person all the authority to make any changes to the site she deems necessary. I have no doubt that she will continue to keep everyone at LVI happy and make things as great – or greater – than they have ever been. My hopes are that the site is now organized enough so that she – and one day, who she passes on the position to, should she choose to – can run the site just as well as I have. (And if not, then I’ll still be around frequently to provide some much-needed webmaster experience).

This new Site Leader has been with LVI just about as long as I have, and even though she hasn’t been a CM for all that time, she’s been the heart of this site for ages. Knowing her professionally, back in the CM lounge, I know that she’s an insanely hard worker and dedicated CM who would do anything for this site. I would trust her with my life. And so I completely trust her with LVI. The new site leader is….

Aislynn!

Congrats Ais. I know you and all the rest of the full-time CMs – Paul, Heather, Karolina, Bel, and Carrie – will do a fantastic job with this site.
The one thing I worried about over the years, when I thought about what would happen to the site if I left, was that it would start to decay, things would get dull and there’d be no more changes. But I think, with these CMs on board, they can overcome this roadblock and keep the site going forward. I have faith in you and the others Ais. I know you’ll keep this site as great – or greater – than it’s ever been.

Good luck, and thank you everyone for making these years as the leader of LVI an amazing experience. I will miss it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So sad to hear you're leaving us Hobbes!!! Congrats on all the excellent work, come back and visit!!! And congrats to Ais, I know you'll do fantastically!

mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*wibble* Aww, Warren it's sad for me to see you pass the torch, seeing as how I'm still pretty new and, for me, LVI is synonomous with you, but I think you're right that Ais will do a great job. I really hope you mean it when you say you'll still come around *big hugs and a Warrenette cartwheel for good measure*

That said, congrats, Ais! *starts fangirl merry-go-round*
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren!!!!!!!!!!!!! *flying glomp* We'll miss you as site leader and imparter of all wisdom

AISLYNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This just proves why I've been calling you the Queen of LVI inside my head Congratulations, and I know you'll do an AMAZING job. *bows down, before jumping on the merry-go-round*

Supernatural Video Station
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARREN! Like Jen you and LVI are to me synonomous. Its very sad that your going to leave. I really hope to see you around posting and stuff. But i totally understand, with college and everything. Good luck bro!

Aislynn!!! WOOOOTTT! congratulations big time AIS! Your going to be great i know it!!! *bows obiediently to Aislynn!*
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've done a great job here!!
Congrats Aislynn!!!!
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sitting here trying to think of a way to really say what I mean to say (and you know how it's sooooo haaaaaaard for me to come up with long posts ). But even still, I'm just not sure that I can really get across my appreciation for what all Warren has done for LVI. Nobody will really ever know just how much work he's put into this site, all of the way from the huge things like the 5.0 upgrade (not only coming up with the concepts but writing the code to make it all happen) down to every decision and to keeping everybody's morale from faltering... It's like he's written in LVI's code itself! *has Matrix moment* Whoa. [/Keanu]

Pretty much the first time I "met" Warren, it was because he was trying to help me keep my poor old computer from blowing up. He even walked me through how to install new RAM for it! I would never have guessed how very young he was at the time because he just sounded so together!

And once I got the chance to work with him as a CM, I've continued to be impressed by his awesome business-sense and his ability to make level-headed decisions. I think it's the mark of a natural leader that people go to him without anybody having to say "Well, you should ask Warren about that." We've just always known to turn to him, known that he'd come up with a fair, thoughtful answer to any problem. (Dude, don't forget... when you're a bazillionaire CEO, I still get to be your secretary! )

Seriously? I don't think that anybody could even try to replace you; we're all just walking in your footsteps, following the trail you've worked so hard to blaze for us. I just hope to be worthy of the faith and confidence you've showed in me, not just now but all along. Okay, so now I'm getting all weepy here... *sniffle*

Anyway, I've got my fingers, toes AND eyes crossed that now you'll actually have more time for LVI in the long-run, time for the FUN parts! (Okay, so you're allowed to have a Real Life but... but... we still want you around here, too! So when you've got some spare time just to hang out, consider this a formal request that you spend it here. )

I could go on here for a while but I'll try to spare y'all. Warren, thank you SO MUCH for your years of hard work and dedication. But especially thank you for being such a wonderful friend! I look forward to seeing what great things you're going to accomplish in the future! (And remember about that secretary position - it's MINE! ) *hugs!*

Kat, Jen, Kayla, Trey and Becca: thank you guys so much! *giant group hug!* And whee, the fangirl merry-go-round!
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren our leader no more?

Sorry, but it seems I've lost the ability to speak the English language...

It's just weird. For as long as I can remember, that bluish Locke icon and banner has been everywhere. I can't imagine it not being there anymore so much...

But you definitely chose the right successor. Aislynn will do us all proud; she always does.

Best of luck, sweetie! Congrats.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Ais! I know you'll be awesome and I got your back if you need any help or advice
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, it's a pity to lose you as Site Leader. You did such an amazing job here!!! We found a more than worthy succesor though and I'm sure Aislynn will be just as good.

Congrats, hon!! You really deserve this job and you'll be doing great!
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, it's so sad to lose you as site leader! You've made this into such an awesome site, and anytime I have a question about something, my first thought is "ask Warren". I wish you the best of luck as you go off to college! *hugs*

As for the new site leader, there's no one that would be a better choice than Aislynn!!! You're gonna do a great job and I'm always here to help with anything!
Belxf
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's gonna be really weird not to have Warren as the site leader... but at least he will still be around...
and...
Congratulations Ais!! I know you're gonna be great!

_bel_
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually didn't see that one coming. I thought you were like some kind of robot connected to LVI, Warren. We're gonna miss you heaps! Thanks for all the great stuff you've done over the past few years though!

But Aislynn, you're like the perfect person to take over. Can't wait to see the changes you make (I'm hoping you'll award cookies to good vidders or something ) and I'm sure you'll keep everything running really well along with everyone else.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok that was a shock to the system reading that just, I can't believe Warren's passing the tourch but i think it's a great choice with Ais, But you've done such an amazing job with the site and it's just been great.

She's always there and always helping. You're gonna do a great job and can't wait to see what happens now
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't think of anybody better for the job than Aislynn. Congratulations honey and don't forget to try and relax and have some fun cause that's a lot of responsibility there! We trust you and we love you and you'll do just fine!

I've been coming to this site since it's been open practically, since before there even was a forum! Ancient times, those. And I have to say that this site has been through so much, it's amazing that it is what it is today. It's inspiring, actually. And I'm continually impressed by the work that Warren and others have done to make it what it's become.

Does anybody remember when all of the vids were hosted on-site? The 10MB video limit? The days BEFORE council picks? The attempt to link all of the videos to TORRENTS? Holy cow guys. Those were some dark days! Hahaha. And look how far we've come!

Warren, I'm sad, like everyone else, to see you stepping down from the helm but knowing you'll still be webmaster and probably terrorizing people in the episode threads with the "really big brain hurty thoughts" when the show comes back, makes it a little less sad.

And if Aislynn gets to be your secretary then I get to be your "personal music manager." Or something. You can train me how to organize your iTunes and all that fun stuff. That'd be a full time job right? Hahaha.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: