Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

September Contest Information
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 5:59 am    Post subject: September Contest Information Reply with quote

September 2011
Contest: ”Trading Places”
Deadline: October 2nd -- extended!

The Details

Have you ever wondered what it would be like if you swapped Claire Littleton into Temperance Brennan's life? Or if Hermione Granger had moved to Forks, Washington, and fell in love with Edward Cullen? Now is your chance to find out!

This month we're asking you to do a character swap. You can swap a character's complete storyline into a new fandom (think burned out rock star Charlie Pace trying to solve The Pattern with Olivia Dunham), or drop one character into another character's life (Elena Gilbert in Kate Austen's shoes). You can even attempt to re-tell a story from one fandom using characters from another (Harry Potter using Glee characters), or swap characters within the same fandom (Ron Weasley as “the boy who lived” instead of Harry Potter). The important thing is that you're telling us an establsihed fandom story using a totally different character(s). You could do a trailer, mash-up, character study, or just a regular vid. You decide!

The only thing we don't want to see are characters played by the same actor being swapped. For example, we wouldn't want to see Boone from Lost swapped with Damon from The Vampire Diaries, because they're both played by Ian Somerhalder. Other than that, though, let your imagination soar!

The Rules

Specific Contest Rules:
• - Make a vid that tells us an established fandom story using a different character(s.)
• - No OC's or swapping characters played by the same actor.
• - Trailers, mash-ups, and character studies are welcome.
• - You may use clips of the swapped actor(s) in their other fandoms to help tell your story, but most clips should be from the fandom you're swapping into.
• - Running time should be no longer than 5 minutes. We suggest the 3 - 5 minute range.
• - The more creative, the better. Don't be afraid to take risks.
• - Please include a brief explanation of your swap in the vid description, like, "Dean from Supernatural as Jack from Lost."
• - When entering your video on the Submit page, you MUST enter "September 2011 contest submission" exactly in your vid's description.

General Contest Rules:

• - Contest submissions should be entered through the Submit page.
• - All regular submissions Rules apply.
• - Videos already submitted and RELEVANT can be submitted again, but we would rather see something fresh. (Please contact a CM if you wish to enter a previously-submitted video)
• - Only one entry per vidder.
• - Please do not use Rapidshare or Yousendit as your only hosting place.
• - If you're using Youtube as your primary link, please also provide us with an alternative link. Far too often, YT is either disabled or muted by the time the contest is ready to be judged. Mediafire, zshare and Megaupload are just a few of the sites out there that can be used as reliable backup links.
• - Keep in mind that however you choose to host your video, it must be available to be watched at least until after the deadline has passed. If we can not access your video at the time of judgment it will not be considered.
• - Have fun!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! This one sounds really interesting (and fun)!

Edit: I have a question. In the rules it says we can't swap the character with another one played by the same actor, but does that rule apply to co-stars as well? Like, for example, could you swap Kate with Kirsten from Party of Five? Or Beckett with Inara from Firefly? Or Charlie with Max from Roswell? Or would that be considered cheating because they both have the same actor as a love interest?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh this sounds really interesting. I think I'd love to give this one a bash!

Kaory
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have a big question before think in it, if we change a character for another we have to change his/her personality too?For example, if i change Lizzie (Pride & Prejudice) and put Katherine (Vampire Diaries) i have to make Katherine be like Lizzie or be herself? And if her personality change, the story change too, no?
Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh, this sounds really interesting! *already pondering some things*

icon by becca
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athena Alexandria wrote:

Edit: I have a question. In the rules it says we can't swap the character with another one played by the same actor, but does that rule apply to co-stars as well? Like, for example, could you swap Kate with Kirsten from Party of Five? Or Beckett with Inara from Firefly? Or Charlie with Max from Roswell? Or would that be considered cheating because they both have the same actor as a love interest?

I WOULD love someone to swap Kate for Kirsten!!!
Athena Alexandria
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke wrote:
Athena Alexandria wrote:

That was just an example, Brooke, so if it's allowed, feel free!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athena Alexandria wrote:
Brooke wrote:
Athena Alexandria wrote:

That was just an example, Brooke, so if it's allowed, feel free!

Oh no I knew it was. But I just think that would be AWESOME. So in other words. Nice example.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Athena Alexandria wrote:
I have a question. In the rules it says we can't swap the character with another one played by the same actor, but does that rule apply to co-stars as well? Like, for example, could you swap Kate with Kirsten from Party of Five? Or Beckett with Inara from Firefly? Or Charlie with Max from Roswell? Or would that be considered cheating because they both have the same actor as a love interest?

Samara, yes, you can make swaps such as you mentioned but you just want to make sure that, like in the Party of Five example, you don't use a ton of footage of Matthew Fox as Jack and basically end up with a Jate vid. You'll want to keep the focus on the fandom you're swapping into, in other words, so you'll need to rely on his Party of Five footage to do the lion's share of the work, not falling back on their scenes in Lost to sell all your manips, if that makes sense? We want to see HER in that fandom as best as you can possibly swing it. (We're not completely excluding use of their mutual footage but we want it to be focused on fandom you're swapping into as much as possible. )

Kaory wrote:
i have a big question before think in it, if we change a character for another we have to change his/her personality too?For example, if i change Lizzie (Pride & Prejudice) and put Katherine (Vampire Diaries) i have to make Katherine be like Lizzie or be herself? And if her personality change, the story change too, no?

Spoiler:

ETA: This answer is incorrect, sorry! I placed it under a spoiler so that it hopefully won't confuse anybody who just glances down the page.

Kaory, that's basically up to you but since you're basically trying to recreate that role with another character, I would think that you wouldn't want to change the personality too much if you can help it. Since we're wanting to see Katherine AS Lizzie, you wouldn't want to show her doing things that Lizzie wouldn't have done in the original story (like biting people and just generally being a vampire ). You'll want it to look like Katherine is fitting in as Lizzie with the other characters from Pride & Prejudice as much as possible.

Aislynn wrote:
D'oh, I answered your question wrong, Kaory!

Kaory wrote:

It was just mentioned to me that the rules actually say that no, you don't have to change their personality:

eloramoon wrote:
This month we're asking you to do a character swap. You can swap a character's complete storyline into a new fandom (think burned out rock star Charlie Pace trying to solve The Pattern with Olivia Dunham), or drop one character into another character's life (Elena Gilbert in Kate Austen's shoes).

I'm so very sorry about that. Please disregard my previous answer.

Last edited by Aislynn on Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:07 am; edited 1 time in total
Athena Alexandria
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Aislynn!

I get what you mean and I agree. The mutal footage would probably be limited to hugs, kisses, love scenes, etc, because those can be difficult to manip.

One more question: is it like the book contest in that it's up to us how much of the story we want to tell in our vid? Like if we want to do the whole movie/series or just one episode or arc?
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow this seems like an awesome challenge! I can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!

Athena Alexandria wrote:
One more question: is it like the book contest in that it's up to us how much of the story we want to tell in our vid? Like if we want to do the whole movie/series or just one episode or arc?

Yes, it's entirely up to you how much of the story you want to use.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

D'oh, I answered your question wrong, Kaory!

Kaory wrote:

It was just mentioned to me that the rules actually say that no, you don't have to change their personality:

eloramoon wrote:
This month we're asking you to do a character swap. You can swap a character's complete storyline into a new fandom (think burned out rock star Charlie Pace trying to solve The Pattern with Olivia Dunham), or drop one character into another character's life (Elena Gilbert in Kate Austen's shoes).

I'm so very sorry about that. Please disregard my previous answer.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are we allowed to use movies? Like can I use a character from a movie and trade him that way?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2011 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Brooke, there's no restriction on fandoms, whether movie, TV or whatever.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: