Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August Contest Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ciaimpala
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna claim Billie Jean and see what I can do (if anything lol)
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list has been updated!

About the effects' questions, to quote from the main post again...

Uruviel wrote:
We want to see some no-frills videos, with the main focus being the storyline. There are many ways to make a video interesting without relying on effects, coloring, etc

So just remember, if in doubt about whether an effect is allowed, best to leave it out. We're looking for things like awesome clip choices and lyrics interpretation to shine through in this one, rather than fancy effects!

We'll get back to you as soon as possible on each of the specific questions you've asked, Paul, Jo and Saben!

Supermander11, yep, you did it exactly right. In this contest, we were asking for the songs to be claimed, which you did. Now you just submit your vid when it's done in the same way as a "regular" vid, just be sure to enter August 2009 contest submission in exactly that way as your description (you can include other information as well, but it has to also say "August 2009 contest submission" in there somewhere ).

Good luck!
Kuliet4ever
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm...great idea for a contest! Im going to pick (for now): I Just Can't Stop Loving You Thanks!!
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added you in, hon! ♥!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! I was hoping you'd do an MJ themed contest!

I love the theme of this contest, too!

I would love to do "Whatever Happens".

Thanks!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to claim One Day in your life.

Macaila
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The list has been updated with you both, Julia and Macaila!
EMMALOUISE
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could i use they dont care about us too
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added you to the list!
chloooeee
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could I have Thriller please? Thanks
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume we can use pan/crop else my vid is totally not gonna work but can we do animated pan/crop? so it moves in and out. Thanks!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we use a jackson 5 song??? i want to use i'll be there, but i may use the version of young mj vs older mj (that old pepsi ad back 92)

or i will use ghosts.

if i can use i'll be there then thats my first choice

*credit to stuff-and-thangs for the banner
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated the list! (Yay for your Mentalist icon, Chloe! )

Sophie, any song MJ is singing is fair game, so Jackson 5 is fine! I marked you down for "I'll Be There" but if you decide to change it, just let us know!

Okay, for the questions about which effects are allowed/not allowed... Keep in mind what we're asking for for this contest: no to very minimal effects. We're not going to disqualify people if they go ahead and throw effects all over the place, but you have to know that what we're judging for is the vid that does the most with no to very few effects. So if you want to be competitive, you'll need to keep the effects down to a very bare minimum and let things like clip choice and lyric interpretation shine through. This isn't the contest to impress with effects in other words.

We're fine with you doing something like brightening a dark clip, the point of the contest isn't to force you to make an unwatchable or ugly vid, after all. But using brightness as an effect (bouncing from dark to light as beat use, for example) isn't what we're looking for. Also the same with cropping. If you need to crop somebody out of a shot to aid your story, as long as that's all you're doing with it (as opposed to zooming or other motion like panning across the clip), then it'll be considered a very minimal effect.

So brightening for the purpose of making a clip more visible or doing a static crop fall under the "minimal effects" part of the contest. Other things such as partially desaturating clips instead of full black and white, speed control (slowing or speeding up a clip), and animated pan/crop (zooming in or out), I'd suggest avoiding for this particular contest.

Freeze-framing is more on the line because that's something you could do even with WMM 1 (I made half a dozen vids with that thing and know very well what it could and couldn't do, lol! Using still pictures was pretty much the extent of it being fancy). However, again, just keep in mind what we're looking for in this contest, no to minimal effects, so you're not going to want your freeze-framing to really call a lot of attention to itself, you want the focus to be on telling the story without relying on effects.

Hope that explains things a bit. You don't have to clear each effect with us, just keep in mind what the contest is asking for and decide whether or not that's going to stand out as an effect, rather than keeping the focus on the story/clip choice/lyric interpretation/beat use/etc. And let the best no/minimal effects vid win! Good luck and happy vidding!
ciaimpala
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ais thanks so much for that!! I too was wondering if it was ok to use pan/crop so I could cut someone out of a clip for an AU story, so this helped a lot
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the lengthy explanation Ais, helps a lot. Just to be clear though we are only allowed to use brightness/contrast as a tool in brightening a clip not to generally make it look 'tarty' cause it is pretty much a base for colouring (increasing brightness and contrast heavily)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: