Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is Matched Third Party Content on Youtube?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:18 am    Post subject: What is Matched Third Party Content on Youtube? Reply with quote

I've been uploading some Lost videoes to YouTube and on one of them I received a message that the content matched third party content.It said something about someone/something named UMG was claiming ownership of some of the audio used in my video.

The video is a Jack and Kate video with the song Here By Me by Three Doors Down.The only audio is the song and a few soundbites from Lost.

I've never received this message before and I wasn't sure what you are supposed to do when you get it.Is it best to just ignore the message? Or should you dispute their claim? Or remove the video?

-Im1oftheOceanic6
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That basically means, that someone claims that something in your video belongs to them. In this case, probably your song. As far as what to do, it depends on what the message says exactly. I got one for a 3 Doors Down song, and it said that I could keep the video up, if I let them display a banner on the video.

If it says that you have to take it down, then you have to otherwise Youtube will cancel your account, and you'll lose all your videos.

I hope that was of help to you.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

I decided to just delete the video from Youtube to be safe. I don't want to risk losing all the videoes I've posted so far. I think I'll just skip using 3 Doors Down music in any future videoes.

-Im1oftheOceanic6
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it depends what it says. I got one that said this (spoilered cos its big)

Spoiler:

which pretty much means. "We know you're using our song and we're cool with it as long as we take credit for the song." and mine's had that for about a year now as long as you don't dispute it; there's no problem

desmondwatch
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

me too. I got matched by the record company that holds the Stevie Wonder copyright on Superstition. Basically they said, "if you use our song, we get to run ads on the video viewing page." So I let it be. The ad's not that bad, it's just a box to the right of the player.

ps: umg stands for universal music group
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody.

Desmondwatch, thanks for telling me what UMG stood for.(I tried to come with a meaning for the initials but none made any sense.)

-Im1oftheOceanic6
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: