Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game of Thrones (Season 4)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I liked the scene with Cersei and Margaery--although, was Cersei as involved in the Tommen/Margaery match in the books?

I don't think she was, Jules. If you consider how later in the fourth book

Spoiler:

Cersei wants to get rid of her and the Tyrells, I don't think she would've agreed to wed Tommen to Margaery.

So I suppose it was Tywin's idea, in the books, because he knew that he would still need the Tyrells.

Oberyn and Podrick/Brienne are hands-down the best thing on S4!

And yeah, I agree, Sophie Turner is becoming a really fine young actress!
Littlefinger and LF/Lysa give me major creeps though!

There are still so many amazing and shocking things coming up in S4 (I hope):

Spoiler:

- Tyrion's trial
- Oberyn vs. Gregor
- Tywin's - and possibly Shae's - death
- The attack upon the Wall
- Lady Stoneheart!!!!! I *so* hope that we'll get her by the end of S4! Just imagine the reactions of all the "unsullied" fans!!

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2014 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't wait for all those things you mentioned, Karolina!!

Spoiler:

Especially Lady Stoneheart - aahhh!! I hope they do it right! And Oberyn vs Gregor I'm excited for but at the same time I'm still sooo not ready to let Oberyn go.

Sidenote: we talked about Game of Thrones in my Gender in Pop Culture class last week, which I thought was cool.

art by me&tammy
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great episode tonight!! Could've done without the Asha and Theon scene at the beginning....tired of these nonsensical additions that do nothing for the plot, but other than that it was great. I do love Asha!

We're getting into A Dance with Dragons territory with Dany...wonder how they're going to keep from getting ahead of themselves?!

The trial scenes were excellent. I think Sibel Kekilli did a great job showing that Shae didn't want to lie, but she had to, and then I think she'd been really hurt by what Tyrion did to her, and that all came out in that scene too. They did a good job translating that to the screen.

art by me&tammy
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scene where Dany gives him thrice the money of his sheep was kinda laughable because Drogon kills his son in the books so it has far more emotional weight and makes more sense with the dialogue.

Why do so many people in Essos have such perfect English accents? (Bravvos too with Mark Gatiss.) It doesn't sit right with me.

Alfie Allen was amazing again so was glad to have more scenes with him. Sad Yara denounced him as her brother just because he bit her hand :/ Hoping we get a
Spoiler:

Kingsmoot

now.

Trial scenes were excellent although I missed the 'my giant of Lannister' moment.

Nice to see the map finally get updated. Get rid of Winterfell and put the Eyrie in there though.

Spoilers for next week's trailer:

Spoiler:

SNOW CASTLE! Littlefinger and Sansa is about to get creepier.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked that scene, actually. I think Dany still got a taste of the fact that her rule might not fix all the problems in Meereen (and still might create even more problems) without being overly traumatizing for her.
Edit: Wait, didn't it go down like this in the books too? Didn't her dragons initially go after just sheep and stuff and then it wasn't until later that they killed a child? I could be wrong...
Also, if Dany is in Meereen....does that mean we get Quentyn Martell soon???? I'm dying to see him!

Yeah, I found it weird that she was so prepared to denounce him after she spent all this time trying to save him. Again, not sure the point of these added scenes!!

art by me&tammy
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HobbitRockGod wrote:
I liked that scene, actually. I think Dany still got a taste of the fact that her rule might not fix all the problems in Meereen (and still might create even more problems) without being overly traumatizing for her.
Edit: Wait, didn't it go down like this in the books too? Didn't her dragons initially go after just sheep and stuff and then it wasn't until later that they killed a child? I could be wrong....

I think they did but they never had a scene with that in the books except for the one where the boy is killed.

Quote:
Also, if Dany is in Meereen....does that mean we get Quentyn Martell soon???? I'm dying to see him!

Me too! I bet that will be next season though and we will get lots of Dorne perhaps with him setting off first.

Quote:
Yeah, I found it weird that she was so prepared to denounce him after she spent all this time trying to save him. Again, not sure the point of these added scenes!!

I think they help show the audience and Yara that Theon is completely gone and brainwashed. It also makes Ramsey trust him more in his weird way and leads up to him sending him to take over that castle. I loved her speech on the boat but then it ends a bit abruptly but at least it was short so we didn't have to suffer it for long.

I love Asha/Yara too so hopefully we get some more cool stuff with her in the future. Next season will probably be one for the Greyjoys aswell as Dorne. Should be great.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Then I think maybe the scene with the goats shows how wild and unruly the dragons are getting - we keep hearing about that but we hadn't really seen enough of that. They are wild animals, and they cause problems.

That'd be nice! We need to get to Dorne anyway, for Arianne Martell!

Yeah, I guess, but there are other ways to do it. I don't buy that the Asha (I just can't get on board with calling her Yara at all lmao) who we've come to know on the show would give up on Theon so easily.

What were everyone's thoughts on Shae?? I've seen some people surprised that she betrayed Sansa like that but I thought it was clear that she'd been coerced somehow by Tywin or Cersei, and then fueled by her anger at Tyrion, she just kind of said all that stuff and didn't mean it about Sansa.

art by me&tammy
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Didn't her dragons initially go after just sheep and stuff and then it wasn't until later that they killed a child? I could be wrong...

I think you're actually right, Eryn. I remember that, too... I think
There was a bit of a built-up in the books, I think, with people getting angrier and angrier at Dany and her dragons and Drogon killing the child was the bitter climax of it all.

Quote:
What were everyone's thoughts on Shae??

I think Shae's betrayal makes perfect sense in the TV!verse for the very reasons you mentioned, Eryn. Also, Shae's betrayal is necessary if they want to stick with GRRM's original storyline of Tyrion

Spoiler:

killing her when he finds her in Tywin's bed

I'm glad they had the trial in this episode because the rest was rather... meh... and not really going anywhere... apart from maybe the Dany/Hizdahr.

Random thoughts:
I'm absolutely amazed by Alfie's performance as Reek... and I'm falling more and more in love with Pedro Pascal with every new episode
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's what I thought, Karolina! Glad you think so too, so I'm not imagining things like I have in the past. It's tough when it's been awhile since I've read these books.

Yeah, I wasn't sure the original ending to Shae's story was going to be plausible in the universe the show has set up, but now I'm more and more certain that it is going to be the same. Which is...good in terms of sticking to the story, but it's going to hurt even more, considering Shae is one of the few characters I like even better on the show than in the books. (And I did like her a lot in the books!!)

Yeah, Alfie is absolutely killing it! He's fantastic. Was anyone else rooting for him to grab Ramsay while he was in the bath and just drown him?

And Pedro Pascal is fantastic. I don't think we could have asked for a better Oberyn. I'm so impressed with him!

art by me&tammy
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I come bearing notes after two viewings...

1) I loved Stannis and Davos at the Iron Bank. I was LOL because my husband said, "It looks like Gringotts." And then two hours later when I watched it with my mom, "It looks like Gringotts." Hahaha! I freaking LOVED Davos' speech about Stannis and the scene with Davos and S.S in the bath house.

2) Alfie should win ALL the Emmys this year. ALL of them. Maybe one for Peter, but Alfie gets the rest. OMG. However, outside of his awesomeness and disregarding the fact that I was practically crying and shaking from the heartache of it, I really really hated the scene for two reasons. For one thing, is it just me or did it make the Ironborn look totally weak? These are supposed to be the fiercest people south of the Wall, and they scatter like foxes when Ramsay releases the hounds??? No way. Also, for all of Yara's WE WILL SAVE MY BROTHERRRR... it seemed pointless to have it end in nope, nope, nooooope.

3) However, it did set up the Ramsay/Theon bath scene, which, yes Eryn--I was absolutely wishing Theon would drown him. It was kind of a cool scene, though. It was so twisted the way it worked out after having to renounce his identity to his own sister and now being asked to take it on as a role for Ramsay.

4) Is it just me or is Hizdahr younger and better looking than in the books? For some reason I imagined him as being older, shorter, heavier, and not as good looking.

5) Varys says he can get some of his "little birds" into Mereen. This interested me for two reasons:
Spoiler:

(1) could this be a little foreshadowing for the next book? Does it mean we can expect to see someone pop into Dany's presence who may report back to Varys? and (2) Especially after his wistful glance at the iron throne when talking of being freed up for "other pursuits," I'm starting to wonder if maybe he's secretly pulling for Dany or perhaps Aegon. In either case, if he's an Essos-born Blackfyre (which makes sense), it could make sense that he's fighting for the Targaryens in secret.

6) I'm really displeased with the whole thing where they found Dontos' body, the necklace, and identified the poison. Neither Book!Petyr or Show!Petyr would have been so sloppy, and I was wondering about it at the time but didn't expect it to pop up at the trial already. It just seems like they could pretty easily track this all back to Petyr, whereas in the books Dontos wasn't found (as far as I recall), nor was the hairnet or poison residue, so they had literally no "smoking gun."

7) In the scene with Jaime and Tywin, Tywin said, "You will father children named Lannister." Is it me or was that a pretty bald-faced acknowledgement of the incest?
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree about the Yara scene. I understand if they want to add things that aren't in the books, but they need to do a better job with it!!

I thought Hizdahr seemed younger too! And definitely more attractive. I was surprised when I realized it was him!

Spoiler:

I think Varys might be pulling for Dany too. He was talking to Illyrio in the first season, and that's who he sent Tyrion to and now Tyrion is on his way to find Dany. I think when she gets to Westeros she might have an ally in Varys - though she might be too smart to trust him!

art by me&tammy
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2014 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What were everyone's thoughts on Shae?? I've seen some people surprised that she betrayed Sansa like that but I thought it was clear that she'd been coerced somehow by Tywin or Cersei, and then fueled by her anger at Tyrion, she just kind of said all that stuff and didn't mean it about Sansa.

She comes across as pretty petty with the whore comment. I think it would have worked better if we saw more of her discomfort because this Shae is more sympathetic. She has been coerced but she didn't have to be so petty.

Spoiler:

I still hope Tyrion strangles her because it is important for his character development. He's been too whitewashed and needs to go to a very dark place so he can come back out of it. I imagine she is sleeping with Tywin so he will have some justification for his actions.

Quote:
I'm glad they had the trial in this episode because the rest was rather... meh... and not really going anywhere... apart from maybe the Dany/Hizdahr.

I agree with you.
Spoiler:

I want Stannis going North right now and not to Bravvos. Arya should be the one going there. Mark Gatiss not speaking with Syrio Forel's accent bothers me. I hope they don't cast him as the Kindly Man too.

The trial scenes were stunning though so it pushed the quality of the episode up for me.

Quote:
5) Varys says he can get some of his "little birds" into Mereen. This interested me for two reasons:

Spoiler:

(1) could this be a little foreshadowing for the next book? Does it mean we can expect to see someone pop into Dany's presence who may report back to Varys? and (2) Especially after his wistful glance at the iron throne when talking of being freed up for "other pursuits," I'm starting to wonder if maybe he's secretly pulling for Dany or perhaps Aegon. In either case, if he's an Essos-born Blackfyre (which makes sense), it could make sense that he

Spoiler:

Varys is most definetly pulling for Aegon even at this point. I think that's what him and Illyrio were discussing way back in season one. Dany is a bit of a smokescreen and they don't want her ruling on her own anyway.

More scenes with Varys would be a plus point. Hopefully he gets more screentime next season.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mean Tyrion did say some pretty nasty things to her the last time she saw him. Obviously he didn't mean them and was just trying to get her to leave so she'd be safe, but Shae doesn't know that. I really do buy that show!Shae loved Tyrion and hearing him say those things would tear her apart and make her prepared to do something like this. It's the throwing Sansa under the bus thing that I'd have a bit more difficulty buying, but I do think Sibel managed to pull it off.
Tyrion's reaction has always pissed me off, especially on the show because, seriously, bro, you said some NASTY things to her and then get mad at her for being mad? Take a chill pill.
(Disclaimer: I am not a huge fan of Tyrion, never have been, and it's about this point in the books where my indifference towards him went to complete dislike.)

Am I the only one who's consistently bored to tears by Stannis in both the show AND the books? I don't see him being on the Iron Throne in the endgame, so I'm not really sure what his purpose is!

I really hope they get Arya back on track soon, too. I thought they did some interesting things with having her meet Melisandre briefly last season, now she needs to follow that arc through....
Spoiler:

and get to Braavos!!! Though I imagine that'll happen towards the end of this season since she left Westeros at the end of ASOS.

I LOVE that the show has given us more Varys scenes than we had in the books. All the ones in like S1 between him and Littlefinger were great, and his conversation with Oberyn in the last ep was awesome too!

art by me&tammy
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Am I the only one who's consistently bored to tears by Stannis in both the show AND the books? I don't see him being on the Iron Throne in the endgame, so I'm not really sure what his purpose is!

Damn I hate disagreeing with you all the time >< lol I dig Stannis. His stubborness and acerbic thing he has going on is actually something that amuses me. I give him some breaks because Melisandre is clearly having a very negative effect on him. He is the true heir when it comes down to it. Yes Dany has a right but you could argue that got eliminated when the mad king came along. If you take Melisandre out the picture I think he would be a pretty decent king.

Spoiler:

He also saves Jon's butt at the Wall which is pretty cool.

Quote:
I really hope they get Arya back on track soon, too. I thought they did some interesting things with having her meet Melisandre briefly last season, now she needs to follow that arc through....
Spoiler:

and get to Braavos!!! Though I imagine that'll happen towards the end of this season since she left Westeros at the end of ASOS.

I seriously can't wait for this. It is one of my favourite storylines in the whole series so it is frustrating when they are stalling.

Quote:
I LOVE that the show has given us more Varys scenes than we had in the books. All the ones in like S1 between him and Littlefinger were great, and his conversation with Oberyn in the last ep was awesome too!

Oh yeah it was. He has some of the best scenes in the show in terms of interesting dialogue and intrigue. It seems that he is fond of Tyrion even though he won't do everything to save him so he is a cool grey character.

Spoiler:

We will get more of him with breaking Tyrion out and he should accompany him at least part way out of King's Landing.

Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I'm in total agreement with Paul about Stannis. Although he is a dull character by comparison to others, there's just something about him and his story that really intrigue me. I do think he'd make a pretty good king sans Melisandre and agree that he's the most rightful heir. I think Tommen, though not the rightful king, could potentially make a great king along with TV!Margaery, but Book!Margaery I'm not as sure about... they feel like different characters to me. The problem with Tommen, I think, is that he'll always be subject to manipulation by others, whereas Stannis wouldn't be were it not for Melisandre. I do think the main importance in the story for Stannis will be
Spoiler:

what he did at the wall and whatever happens next up there.

Plus, I just love Davos so much, I can't help but love Stannis scenes by-proxy. [/spoiler]

Re: Arya -- I seriously can't wait for CotC!

I love Tyrion even
Spoiler:

when things get dark.

I think Varys might be one of the most incredible characters ever anywhere. I think he is definitely fond of Tyrion, but the only thing that keeps Varys afloat is by maintaining that perfect balance of appearing to be truly loyal while still serving his own purpose. He makes himself indispensable by feeding the right people the right information. It just also happens to be the information he secretly needed. At least, that's what I think. And I love that. He is truly amazing!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 7 of 11

Jump to: