Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3x12 - Par Avion Episode Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Hobbes said it all. I cant go any further- but, on a personal note, I have no beefs with Charlie, my opinion usually is determined on a "per-episode" basis, if that makes any sense. Anything good, bad or the other can be summed up with this: Hes just plain goofy. Take that as you will.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I just write a 2,700 words post?????

Argh!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so insane!!!!!

Short story for those not wanting to read the whole thing:

I don't mind character criticisms as long as it's done in a respectful manner. Please don't make anyone feel stupid for their ship or character preferences.

That'd be all. I'm leaving... I'm at the door....
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you really think this turned into an argument? It felt more like a discussion/debate to me.

I think it was MEANT to be a discussion and not a personal attack on anybody and what character or ship they like, but believe me, when you're on the receiving end of it, it hurts. And when feelings get hurt, then whatever you call it, I think it's not a good thing.

cylune wrote:
Did I just write a 2,700 words post?????

*high fives* You go, girl! Seriously, though, that was a very well-thought out and presented post and I really enjoyed reading it! I really liked your interpretations of Charlie and the different things that he's done. *applause*

cylune wrote:
I don't mind character criticisms as long as it's done in a respectful manner. Please don't make anyone feel stupid for their ship or character preferences.

Exactly. I use my RL friendship rule: If your best friend likes a band that you hate, are you going to take every opportunity to pound them over the head with why you hate that band and why you think they're dumb for liking them? Not if you want to keep them as your best friend for very long! There comes a point when everybody has made their opinion known and it's not furthering anything productive to just keep going over and over the same territory.

Anyway, some people really LOVE to argue/discuss spiritedly/etc. I don't happen to be one of them but I understand that some people do. But I think you have to temper that with some sensitivity -- is it more important you get your point across, even if you know you're hurting somebody to do it? This thread is to discuss the episode itself, not bash Charlie (or anybody else). Y'all are welcome to start a "Discuss why I hate Charlie" (or whomever ) thread if you'd like to go over all of the things you dislike about him, then Charlie fans will know to not read it unless they would like to wade in and start arguing. But the fans who just want to talk about the ep itself won't have to suffer through a character attack while they're trying to do it.

As I said, if you haven't had to go through it, then maybe you don't know how hurtful it is to keep getting slapped with "your character/ship is STOOPID!" every time you turn around. (Even if that wasn't what was meant.)

Sorry to be chiming in late here and I'm not trying to stir the pot again, I was just drawn in by a large post that I hadn't even written myself!

*leaves freshly baked specialty cookies*

*hugs everybody*
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get what you guys are saying. But on the same token, this is really ALL about opinions. I have one and you have one. Just because my opinion towards Charlie's actions isn't a positive one, doesn't make it any less noble or valid than yours. I feel like because I dislike Charlie and am not afraid to say it I'm painted as the bad guy here.

My first comment basically said "Charlie is a big fat jerk for making Claire feel like an idiot about her bird idea." (That's the jist of it.)

In response I was greeted with the following.

Cinthia said:
Quote:
Give Charlie a break will you??? He's feeling happy after the Hurley Van adventure, ready to seize the day and now Desmond tells him he's about to die. Again. It's not over. You gotta forgive him for being a little cranky!!! Gee.

Jen said:
Quote:
is the Charlie hate ever going to end? That guy can't win with you people, can he? No matter what he does, he's crucified. If Claire can get over his shortcomings, how come the Lost fans can't?

So by simply voicing my personal opinion/interpretation of his actions, I am made to justify it for the simple fact that it's not all sweet and fluffy? And then at the end of all this I'M the bad guy?

So forgive me for being a little bit confused as to why it is okay for people with "positive" opinions to have and discuss them, but it's not okay for me to talk about my "not-so-positive" opinions.

And Aislynn, the only people "on the recieving end" of my Charlie rants were Charlie Pace and perhaps the LOST writers for creating such a dispicable character. Neither of which, as far as I'm aware, read this thread. Because I HONESTLY don't feel I targeted anyone or called anyone stupid for liking Charlie. Correct me if I'm wrong though.

I mean, maybe I'm supposed to like Charlie. But what if I like Ben instead? And, you know, it really really hurts my feelings that you guys call him creepy. He's not creepy. He's f-cking adorable.
TurnipHead
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That bit at the end with Jack was excellent.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I just say that I think the reason most people dislike Charlie is not because of the character himself, as he started out (along with Hurley) as the 'comic relief' character of the show. I think, to be honest, it's the writers who have taken it too far, especially with his dark past; he seems to have gotten more 'evil' as the show has gone on (either that or he's showing his true colours more and more), with no real purpose anymore.

Overall, I like Charlie. I mean, yeah, he's done some shitty things. Yes, he has made mistakes. Hasn't everyone? Tell me about one person you know who has not made a mistake that they have had to pay dearly for. It just seems to be heightened with Charlie.

The only logical conclusion I can come to is that the writers have butchered his character. I was saying this to Jen on the phone just the other night; if the writers had not murdered his character by making him too dark, if they had just kept him light and funny while exploring his dark past, there might not be so many people who feel so alienated from the ability to like him.

[/rant]

Supernatural Video Station
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a pointer.. this was a Claire ep not a Charlie ep and this is the episode discussion thread. Feel free to make a Charlie debate thread or something but I think we're done here on that subject.
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. You go Polarbear! haha. As for Claire, I really loved her with black hair this episode. I hope we get to see this Claire a little more. Though, I swear every time I saw her mom I thought it was Kate's mom, and I kept having to remind myself that that wasnt possible. Like when Claire first ran up to her on the pavement I went "She's Kate's mom!" haha. Then I was like, wait... lol.

http://www.youtube.com/10thkingdomfanatic
LOSTOnAnIsland
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haha imagine if it was Kate's Mom!!! Then they'd be a lovely little happy Island family!

Polarbear wrote:
Just a pointer.. this was a Claire ep not a Charlie ep and this is the episode discussion thread. Feel free to make a Charlie debate thread or something but I think we're done here on that subject.

hehe Go Pauly! Someone had to say it!
So lets leave Charlie alone ...at least until Wednesday!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

You rock, hon!!

Now back on topic... what a great episode! I just loved the flashbacks, especially the moments with Claire and Christian. I also really enjoyed all Daire as well PB&J moments. The scene with Charlie reading out loud Claire's letter was just wonderful (did I see tears in Charlie's eyes?? ).

Tom and Jack... ! It's fate, I tell ya!

As for Locke... I still love you, buddy, but you'll get into really big trouble soon if you go on like this. I so see Sayid freaking out sooner or later.

Did I mention that I'm really starting to like Danielle? Ok, she's a bit of a nut case, but I really like her.
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol. KajaM you liked the flashbacks with Christian? I mean I did too, but I thought the situation when she said "I dont even know your name, and I never want to" was really unintentionally funny. I was cracking up. I just thought that was the most ridiculous way the writers could have made it clear why she never knew Jack or even heard about him. It was just a funny situation, and now there won't be any cool almost finding out about the other person thing. That is if Jack even comes back. awe. That was sad to say.

Anyway, I liked this episode a lot. I was like "THANK U GOD FOR BRINGING BACK LOST!" Cuz I just didnt enjoy Tricia Tanaka is Dead. But I loved loved loved this episode, especially the lovely letter Claire wrote, almost made me cry.

http://www.youtube.com/10thkingdomfanatic
LOSTOnAnIsland
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't like Tricia Tanaka is Dead?!?! I thought it was great! Great Feel good ol'LOST!

As for the "I dont even know your name, and I never want to", it was like she only said that so that she wouldn't be able to figure out that Jack is her brother!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
xJBxFROGURTxJBx
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i felt the same ash
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the only place where I come to discuss new episodes of LOST. On the rare occasion I post something at my livejournal or comment in others livejournals.

Why do I come here? Well for one, I ENJOY the contrasting opinions. I enjoy hearing other people's well thought-out, valid opinions - even if I don't share them. Especially from the people here who I've come to admire and respect. I love hearing all of your opinions whether they're different from mine or NOT.

You guys are an articulate brainy bunch! Why WOULDN'T I wanna come here to discuss?

I try to stay as nuetral as possible when discussing the show. That is to say I don't make it personal. I try to talk only about the show. So when someone takes my criticism of a plotline or a character as a personal affront, I'm always a little surprised by it.

You can criticise or talk smack about my favorite character all the do-da-day. That's fine and DANDY. I don't take it personally. I might debate with you, but I have never felt like I, myself, am being attacked. Last year EVERYBODY hated Jack. Did I ever take it personally? No.

All of you here need to know one thing. And that is that I will ALWAYS defend your right to express your opinion here. No matter if I agree with you OR NOT. I don't really feel like I should apologize for that. And frankly, it bothers me that when the tables are turned you wouldn't do the same.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Charlie hate has gone too far.. he didn't do anything wrong in this ep imo so I think it is just because of the stigma that surrounds the character and it is off-topic to be discussing it for this episode. It is clearly upsetting some people on here to keep going on about it. Really I think it's been settled on why people think Charlie was an ass in this episode and why he wasn't so why talk about this further?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: