Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Eko 23:42" by max fisher

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LVI Bot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: "Eko 23:42" by max fisher Reply with quote

"Eko 23:42" 01-30-2006
I will tell you the story of Mr. Eko. But if you dont mind, I will begin from the beginning.
Song: Fire Fire by M.I.A.
Vidder: max fisher
Length: 3:30 (9.2MB WMV)

Link: http://mulholland.dreamhost.com/EkoEko.wmv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMBy6e83Gs4
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. This vid has a lot of interesting coloring effects for the clips but basically that is it. I can see a lot of potential with the song. It really seems to fit with Eko's character but the delivery in the video did not flow with the beats. Here are my suggestions:

1) If you are going to use clips of longer length than say 8 - 10 seconds especially with a song that is quick with accentuated beats as this one you need to do something to acknowledge the beats or else the vid will just drag. Change the colors to the beats (although overuse can get annoying/induce seizures <-- j/k but use your better judgement so as not to overdo it).

2) Have some sort of idea you want the audience of the vids to get rather than string a series of clips with our character in it ... like Eko is the baddest **********'er on the island and just show all his bashing.

3) That smoke sequence that lasted 50 seconds was 40 seconds too long. I thought I saw some images in the smoke but it was too faint to make out even so that was still 35 seconds too long with that part.

This was not the worst video I have seen and I don't want you to get discouraged by the length of my post but I know this particular vid has a lot of potential if you wanted to put some work into it. If you look at the vids by the LVI Council Pick top 5 list I can guarantee all of them spent a great deal of time editing and re-editing their videos and it really shows. Just pick yourself up and either start fresh, watch Hobbes and CrazyMol's training videos or rethink this vid.

My lost music vids
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything Morelight said. The effects were used too much. Effects work best if they just show up on every 10th clip or so. Also, some of the scenes were a bit too long, especially the scene with Eko and the smoke. It did look cool with the colours and all, but it would have worked better if you had have kept it normal pace or maybe even sped it up a little. If you can't think what to put in that place, try something like showing him bashing up people, or meeting the other survivors etc.

I also think the song worked well for Eko, it just wasn't put together quite as well as it could have been.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have to agree with MoreLight and Marcus here but...

I have to confess, I like this vid, color spectrum effect and long "Mr. Eko, meet Mr. Black Smoke" and all! I mean, everything they said is totally true but there was just something about those rotating colors with the song that I just sorta dug. And it's never a real good idea to run a long clip slowed down like that, but I figured you were trying to get those images to show up, which they don't too much at regular speed.

I do agree that the quote/unquote "rules" about using such a distinctive effect all the way through a vid and running one clip for that long of a time shouldn't really be broken unless you have a spectacular reason for doing so. That said, I really enjoyed this vid.

I hope you don't feel discouraged or anything, Max. Everybody has to feel their way along as they make their first bunch of vids and I think it's great that you tried out such a bold move. Keep on vidding!
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me add what Aislynnn said to my post.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
maxfisher
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your feedbacks. It is not discouraging, but appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: