Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Away With Murder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Getting Away With Murder Reply with quote

I already posted this in the Dr. Ruth thread, but it looks like that thread hasn't been checked in a while so I thought I'd post it here too. I'm really grateful to have received the Silver CP on Getting Away With Murder, but just so I know, where did I go wrong? To be honest, I thought it was my best vid yet, so some constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I'll just ask for a re-vote.

Supernatural Video Station
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was generally very well done but we had some issues with it. The main one was that the song has been done a fair few times before. I love Papa Roach so I don't mind too much but you know too much of a good thing lol Also the blinkie shots where it cut to black were well done with the beat but they didn't look so good and made you wonder if they were errors? I really liked the box thing you did on the beat though.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
The main one was that the song has been done a fair few times before.

But surely each video is judged on its own merit, not whether the song has been done before? Let me ask you this: if you received a mindblowingly-amazing video to 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls, would you give it a Silver just because the song had been done loads of times before? I'm sorry, but I think it's highly unfair that the judges are partly basing votes on the number of times that the song has been done!

Polarbear wrote:
Also the blinkie shots where it cut to black were well done with the beat but they didn't look so good and made you wonder if they were errors?

You mean the blinkie shots at the start? No, they were not errors, it was meant to be a 'cool-looking' effect that went with the fact that the song went silent for a moment.

Like I've said before, don't get me wrong - I'm happy with any kind of CP I received, but looking at the reasons you've given to justify you're decision, I'm not entirely happy with the way you've said you judged it.

cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlcoholicPixie wrote:
But surely each video is judged on its own merit, not whether the song has been done before? Let me ask you this: if you received a mindblowingly-amazing video to 'Iris' by the Goo Goo Dolls, would you give it a Silver just because the song had been done loads of times before? I'm sorry, but I think it's highly unfair that the judges are partly basing votes on the number of times that the song has been done!
You're right. Each video has to be judged on it's own merit. If you noticed, we just gave a Gold to yet another "Far Away" vid I'm sure I'm not the only one on the council very, very sick of that song. However, it was an original idea so it got a Gold.... In your case, it's the same idea that was used again... so you're losing "originality" points. (And that's what Paul was trying to explain... it's not so much the song that's overused, it's the idea behind it) But it's still a good vid! I hope you enjoyed making it - but if you care that much about getting a Gold CP, try to come up with something truly original! Good luck, I'm looking foward to your next vid!

Last edited by cylune on Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cylune wrote:
In your case, it's the same idea that was used again... so you're losing "originality" points.

I'm not trying to start another 'Scorned' incident here or anything, but none of the other 'Getting Away With Murder' vids on here have actually been purely Ana Lucia character studies, so to be honest I don't see how you can say that it's unoriginal. Maybe in the concept, but it should have enough merit in itself as a character study, if you see what I mean *feels retarded and inarticulate *

cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlcoholicPixie wrote:
I'm not trying to start another 'Scorned' incident here or anything, but none of the other 'Getting Away With Murder' vids on here have actually been purely Ana Lucia character studies, so to be honest I don't see how you can say that it's unoriginal. Maybe in the concept, but it should have enough merit in itself as a character study, if you see what I mean *feels retarded and inarticulate *
I didn't say it was unoriginal. I said you lost "originality points". Big diffence

Last edited by cylune on Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
AlcoholicPixie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cylune wrote:
I didn't say it was unoriginal. I said you lost "originality points". Big difference.

Ooops, sorry! My bad *makes mental note to actually look at what is being quoted*

Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it wasn't just the fact it was the same song used before it was the idea of someone 'getting away with murder' done again just with a different character. Some songs you can twist and make it completly different but not this one I don't think :/

If you are inarticulate at stating your case I am at explaining it Thanks Cinthia for explaining things!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: