Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

awards system queries
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: awards system queries Reply with quote

I am very annoyed lately with the way it seems the voting system has changed.
It seems as if you guys have made it harder to get picks or have become predjeduced against certain vidders (or towards in some cases).
I find many vidders who aren't getting the picks they deserve while others seem to be getting picks reguardless of their quality.
For instance KC's video Scorned well deserved a gold pick as it had original story line that was well executed with good editing.
She was given great comments and lead to believe by CM's that the video was going to recieve a gold pick. I feel the judges should give honest comments instead of trying to be nice. It makes people wonder why they haven't got picks and also seems a little sly.
Maybe it's just me that thinks this. I am interested in seeing what you think.

Last edited by rbexter93 on Fri Dec 22, 2006 11:10 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Becca

Well the silver CP isn't something to be ashamed of it is a reward just like the gold one. The voting system is kept private for a reason so people don't get upset. It is not a sly thing on our parts. If you have a problem with a vote I think it's best to pm a CM rather than start a thread like this. If KC wants to know why it got a silver pick I would be happy to address it in a pm.

We try our best but sometimes we do get it wrong we're only human after all. I think we are more than fair overall though.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually wasn't saying the way the votes are hidden is sly it's just CM's could give honest, consturctive opinions in the video threads and not sugar coat everything
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I have to say something in KC's honor here. I already have a bad standing here so I guess it doesn't matter what I say right now. I love everyone here, I'm not downing any of the council members, just the system, so don't think that.

Her latest video, IMO and I'm sure a lot of people agree, was more deserving than just a silver CP. I watched it twice, as well as beta-ed it while she was working on it. This video was superbly cut, the song was a very unique choice, it had a story line, and it flowed with ease. I have seen so many videos and I have some experience with using video editing programs, so I think I know what makes a good video.

If we can't talk openly about how we feel about the council then why bother? I thought the council was here for us? I understand the need for people to not get riled up but we have an opinion and it should be heard. Becca had every right to voice how she felt.

So can one of the council please explain to me why it got a silver and not a gold? I'm just curious how it was judged. What did you base your judgement on? This can only help and I think it should be discussed out in the open like adults.
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I can say for now is that we will discuss this matter. I didn't vote on the vid myself, but I agree with you, Steph and Becca: It deserves a Golden pick... at least that's my personal opinion.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Karolina. I feel many people feel censored around here to give their proper opinions and I can see why. I appriciate that you may have made it harder to acieve picks but if you have I would prefer that we knew about it. I have no problem with that
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well in the past when I have given 'negative' comments on a thread people have got upset. I meant everything I said I just didn't touch on what I thought it lacked.

When we brought the silver pick in I felt it should be harder to get a gold pick else what's the point? They are for the truly outstanding vids if we give them out to just really good vids then it's gonna be a bit pointless. It's all open to interpretation though on what you feel deserves gold or silver. Originality is just one of the things we look for, the most important yes but we also like to focus on how the clips go together in beat and style and things like this.

Anyways I just want members to be happy here so I'll take away my vote. I personally HATE voting on my friend's videos. I'm sorry KC I really liked the vid and it was certainly close to a gold but I thought it should be silver.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's nothing wrong with being honest Paul. But I think that in a person video thread that negative comments should be left out only because people are proud of what they did and don't like to hear it. It's human nature, nobody likes to be told by anyone that their work isn't as good as they thought. And yes, i know you mean me when you said that about the negative comment in peoples thread, but we're past that now. I appologized, you applogized, we're cool now.

I think the whole probelm here is that people feel the council is too secretive about how they vote. I know Warren has explained it once around here somewhere, but sometimes brainiac Warren just doesn't speak in laymans terms. I sure still don't understand how they are voted on.

The point here is that these people have to rely on 8/9 council's opinions of what they think is good and what isn't. Is that truely fair? Should the opinion of a few count for the whole?
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally agree with Becca. I actually wanted to bring this up myself, but, as we now see Becca has got more courage. So thank you!

I don't see this only with the recently-mentioned Scorned by KC, but with a LOT of vids that are posted up on LVI. It seems to me that MOST (please note that I do mean MOST, as there are exceptions) Gold picks are awarded to...

A) vidders that have created good works so far and are almost automatically given a gold.
B) vidders with a more superior program than WMM.

About A, I can see how one would want to automatically give a gold to vidders that have produced great vids beforehand, but it almost seems as if the CM members/system is playing on PREJUDICES. I always feel like I have to GAIN the CMs respect by making one AMAZING vid after the other or else I won't even be noticed.

About B, and I speak to the ole members most when I say this, but don't we all remember that even the CMs (with all their new and cool programs now) started out making awesome videos with WMM. Remember Karolina's early works? And Aislynn's? All they had was a really good storyline and good editing to gain recognization (that word seems like it is awfully spelt) . Today it seems like vids need to be over the top for that to happen!

I understand that the awards are distributed to give people something to strive for, and I know the good CMs here all want every vidder to be the best that they could be. But sometimes I feel like there are certain things not within the vidder's control that prevent us from that.

I still love coming to LVI, interacting with people, and watching vids, but this is something that's been on my mind recently and I had to get it out.

I hope my post wasn't complete drivel and that this thread will make some reforms around here.

*is hopeful*
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Wow. I think we need to change my title to "controversy master homebody."

First of all, thank you Becca. It's never easy being in the spotlight but I know how even less easy it is to be one to stand up and say something when you think something's just not right here.

And thank you Karolina for saying you think it deserves Gold. Means a lot!

Steph Thank you so much I really appreciate you saying what you did about my vid. I am always on the brink of controversy here at LVI, and I think it is because I feel the same as you, that we should be able to talk openly about whatever. And I think that I do that, because I KNOW that is the kind of home that E and LC want to foster here - one of openness. It's the reason there are NO forum rules.

And Paul, I don't know what to say. I am not angry by any means that you voted Silver. It is after all, your opinion. I appreciate what you have to say here and I certainly appreciate you withdrawing your vote. Although hopefully that won't hurt me. I'm still confused as to how voting works as well, like Steph said.

As was my understanding, silver was brought in so that more vids that had gone unrecognized could get at least some recognition, not to make it even more difficult to get a gold.

I personally understand the need for secrecy regarding votes. I don't think anyone should have to out themselves regarding how they voted, though I appreciate you doing so, it's really your own personal choice and it could cause trouble.

But I won't let it because you're awesome Paul. Even though you voted Silver. You stingy BASTARD! /sarcasm.

Seriously, we'll see how the rest of this plays out since Paul has withdrawn his vote. If one person's vote can make THAT big of a difference, and Karolina, who WOULD have voted GOLD didn't even get to vote, maybe a re-tooling of your voting system is in order?
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fan4Lost wrote:
I already have a bad standing here so I guess it doesn't matter what I say right now.

How can you say that? You are LOVED and known by everyone here, Steph.

Quote:
If we can't talk openly about how we feel about the council then why bother? I thought the council was here for us? I understand the need for people to not get riled up but we have an opinion and it should be heard. Becca had every right to voice how she felt.

I completely agree. My last video received a silver, and when I SPECIFICALLY asked for constructive criticism, no one was able to give me some ... save for Ruth when I posted in Dr. Ruth's Self-help thread, but even then, she only had one criticism and seemed unsure about it.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I agree I try not to give any negative comments cause I guess it does more harm than good. Yeah I did mean you lol and I'm over it too and have learnt from it

It's called a Council Pick for a reason because it's chosen by us. Choose to ignore it if you want. I'm all for a public pick or whatever aswell but don't take away our jobs we have to feed the kids and such

If anyone has a problem with how a vid is voted on I am happy to talk to them in pm. I think it's better cause it gets everyone on edge like this thread is doing :/
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'm going to speak honestly from the heart and try to keep down the sugar-coating. Let me start with this...

PsychoCynic wrote:
A) vidders that have created good works so far and are almost automatically given a gold.
B) vidders with a more superior program than WMM.

Have a look at pumpkin_heart

She makes her vids with WMM and she has a lot of Gold CPs to her name. I would hope that this could dispel the persisting notion that we vote by vidder or by the vidder's program. We don't. Honest. Pinkie-swear. I've seen "good" vidders do blah vids (and end up with Silver or no CP) and I've seen vidders suddenly shoot up with a brilliant vid and get a Gold when they hadn't gotten anything before then.

Let me repeat, we don't judge by vidder or by vidder's program. Every new vid has just as much of a chance as any other.

About comments in a vid's thread... Speaking for myself, I don't put negative comments there. That's just the way I am. If you want an honest evaluation, I'll give it through a PM. Putting it out in public looks cruel to me, like you're trying to tear somebody down. (Ask Jen if I give honest PM betas or not... But we've worked together like that enough times that hopefully she knows that I'm not trying to be mean or cruel, I'm trying to honestly point out any point I think can be improved. And you know what really makes this work? It's not me giving advice, it's Jen deciding whether or not to take it. It doesn't do any good to ask somebody to beta your vid if you refuse to consider their advice. Yes, you're the vidder, you have the final say, but why ask for a beta if you don't want any suggestions? )

When I comment, I focus on what I believe are the good points. It's my hope that that can work just as well as telling what, if anything, that I didn't like. I know that what I do with comments on my own vids is look to see what gets pointed out as good...and try to do it more and better in my next vid! I don't do well when somebody gives me an out of the blue "brutally honest" critique when I didn't ask for it. So I'll never do that to some other vidder.

As for revealing how we vote... Not only would that make it really hard to vote honestly if we thought the vidder was going to know what we voted, but it would foster JUST the atmosphere that y'all seem to think we have anyway: we'd tailor our votes to our friends because we wouldn't want to hurt their feelings. And that would be far from impartial, now wouldn't it? We have to vote privately to even HOPE to be fair.

Fan4Lost wrote:
I already have a bad standing here so I guess it doesn't matter what I say right now. I love everyone here, I'm not downing any of the council members, just the system, so don't think that.

Steph, I don't know where you keep feeling that you have a bad standing here... Did somebody say something to you privately or in public that I've just missed? 'Cause it's not true! We don't have some private "Let's Bash Steph!" Council room. I've never seen a bad word against you anywhere like that. We definitely respect your vidding skills and many of us are friends with you personally. I know you've had some friction with other people here, but I don't know of any instance where it was with somebody acting in their Official Council Persona. For lack of a better thing to call it. If I've missed something, I'm so sorry about that. 'Cause I would certainly have tried to make it right if I could have!

Geez, there's so much here to address, I'm a bit baffled as to where to go next.

About the criteria we use to try and separate Gold from Silver... There's no magic "thing" that we can tell somebody that will ensure they get a Gold. We see a lot of vids. A LOT. I'm always urging people who think we're a bunch of morons to "judge along with us." Take a big span of time, like a week, 2 weeks, even a month and watch EVERY vid. And formulate an opinion on it, on what CP you think it deserves. And I think you'll begin to see that it's not as easy as it sounds.

PsychoCynic wrote:
About B, and I speak to the ole members most when I say this, but don't we all remember that even the CMs (with all their new and cool programs now) started out making awesome videos with WMM. Remember Karolina's early works? And Aislynn's? All they had was a really good storyline and good editing to gain recognization (that word seems like it is awfully spelt) Rolling Eyes . Today it seems like vids need to be over the top for that to happen!

I agree with that last statement, actually. If you look at the vids that were "big" last year and look at the ones that are "big" this year, you'll see that it does take a lot more to impress people. It's because the Lost vidding fandom as a whole has been saturated with hundreds of thousands of vids. We've seen every angle on every character and every ship imaginable! "We" being all Lost vidders, not just Council Members, by the way.

I actually just pointed this out to somebody the other day. I remember when I put up "Cry Me A River" and it got several comments about the fact it used colored still pictures at one point towards the end. I hadn't seen a lot of people do that at that time, so felt like I was being really innovative. Now, would anybody be impressed if I used colored still pictures (or any other effect that started off as "WOW!" and is now very commonplace). Yes, you can still impress people with things like colored still pics (these are just an example, btw, please don't take it that I'm knocking colored still pics! ) but you've got to have a clean vid, with good editing and an interesting idea all working around it. The stakes have raised a lot higher now because of the sheer volume of great, amazing vids that we've all seen!

There's more I could say about a lot of things but I'm going to stop here and just... chill for a bit. I'll just leave you with this for now: the Council tries. We really do. It takes a lot of work to keep vids moving on site and receiving votes. We don't do it because it's our job. We do it because we love doing it. We try to never make mistakes but it happens. We're only human. We try to listen to all the complaints you guys raise. We try to come up with workable solutions to all the problems. We want you all to have a good time when you're here and to have a trouble-free environment. We want you to be satisfied with the way we vote but you've got to know, we're never going to meet your approval 100%. The only way we could do that would be to give everybody automatic Gold pics when they turn in a vid. Or we can stop giving Council Picks entirely.

Or do you guys have a better idea? We welcome any suggestions or ideas that you've got. We take every one of them under consideration and we do the best we can to make everybody happy.

And if it means anything, KC, I was shocked to see that your vid got a Silver. I voted Gold. Even without this thread and this uproar, I would've challenged that result. It was creative, well thought out and well executed. I believe it deserved a Gold.
xgene
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, not to sound like an a**hole, but I am totally against the creation of this thread. I don't believe in bashing the authority figures when we knew well that we were putting our trust in their decisions everytime we submit a vid here, you don't like it, don't submit.

Quote:
I find many vidders who aren't getting the picks they deserve while others seem to be getting picks reguardless of their quality.

I'm sorry but this offends me as I feel targeted. For one thing you go on and give an example or a vidder who "deserves" more recognition from the council (not saying the vidder you chose doesn't deserve it ) but you are in fact being "sly" in not saying who doesn't, to be fair, who would. The point is don't start pointing fingers this way and that especially when a statment like that is so vague it affects all vidders, it's quite rude to both your vidding peers and CM.

I don't believe in promoting either your self work or someone else's in order to get your point across when it comes to matters like this.
What that does is if the council does decide to change their vote, whether or not it was because of this thread, then that undermines their position as judges and as you are obviously rallying for this vid, and other silver award vids, you are also questioning the integrity of the council which I believe has had no right of questioning thus far.

A SILVER AWARD IS NOT BAD! It's better than having a blank near the vid

Am I saying it's wrong to make your voice heard or even defend others, no. Absolutely not, but I agree that a matter like this should have been a PM.

As for being "mislead". I'm sorry, is it wrong to say something nice about a vid that you liked? Seriously

Just cause it didn't get a gold doesn't mean what they said was necessarily false and I'm sure you know that not all the members vote on a single vid, that would be crazy with all the entries they receive. I mean come on, I would love it if some of those council members would comment on my vids (shameful self promotion I was talking about ), not saying I don't enjoy those who do comment (love ya Ais and all you others).

So, call me a suck up, reject my own opinions or even call me a hypocrite for wanting my own silver to be changed to a gold The point is I don't think you should bash the whole council and say they "mislead" or what have you.

IF ANYTHING IT IS EASIER TO GET A PICK! Maybe not gold but silver is a pick regardless.

I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
There's more I could say about a lot of things but I'm going to stop here and just... chill for a bit. I'll just leave you with this for now: the Council tries. We really do. It takes a lot of work to keep vids moving on site and receiving votes. We don't do it because it's our job. We do it because we love doing it. We try to never make mistakes but it happens. We're only human. We try to listen to all the complaints you guys raise. We try to come up with workable solutions to all the problems. We want you all to have a good time when you're here and to have a trouble-free environment. We want you to be satisfied with the way we vote but you've got to know, we're never going to meet your approval 100%
I'll quote what Aislynn just said and add that we're not professionals . We're only amateurs like like everyone else and we didn't go on training about judging vids. I think we have a fairly good idea of what makes a vid good but still, judging vids is highly suggestive and depending on a lot of factors.

If you think that your vids have been judged unfairly, please don't hesitate to ask for a re-vote. We've had a few so far. We're trying to be as transparent as we can.

And as a fairly new CM, I can tell you it's a lot of work. Before I would watch a video and if I didn't like it I would stop after 30-40 seconds. Now I have to watch the entire vid, and something it can be long and tiresome. (I'm not complaining, I still love it!). So...you might want to try the exercises Aislynn suggested: for two weeks, watch every vid that comes to the site, from beginning to end, and then decide on a vote and write down why you voted that way. Good luck!

ETA: hey, thanks xgene for your vote of confidence!! The more excited I've been about getting an award was my first silver pick. I love my silver pick!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: