Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Ruth's Office- GRAND RE-OPENING!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leylin wrote:
heyy dr. ruth,

I made a vid called If You Belive : http://www.lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=3305 . I was surprised to get a silver (didnt even think it would get that). im not very good at making slower vids. i was just wondering what u think i could do better and work on for the next time i make a slower one. i am happy with the silver pick, but of course i want to improve my vidding.

thanks for the help!!
~Ley

Hey leylin...ditto in the shame for the lateness....

Okay lets see here:

After reviewing the video and the voting for it:

As far as Jate videos go, it was really sweet (and we definitely dug the beat use). It just didnt have much to distinguish it from other Jate vids that have been made. I have to give it to you- slow songs are a bitch. I have a million perfect ones, but once I sit down to edit the music, sometimes it dawns on me that it just isnt going to work. But I liked this song, it was really original and I feel that this vid has a lot of potential.

And as always, in the words of Dennis Miller: "Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong."

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Finally Woken Reply with quote

IamSoLostRightNow wrote:
Can I just say that this is an awesome thread!?

I like to be consistent. I am beyond proud that my vids received some kind of CP. However, I can't help feeling that my vid Finally Woken (http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=129991#129991) was overlooked. It's my only vid not to receive an award. This wouldn't bother me so much if it weren't for the fact that it is my most popular vid on youtube.

Okay, okay, I'm not going to be bitchy. I swear, I'm really not bitter (this is more my little sisters doing). But like the thread poses I would like to know why it didn't get a CP. What did you guys think of this vid? What should I have done differently?

I have this JEM album, so Im familiar with the song- and snaps to you for having the cajones to use it (its a slow song).

I think it was a little slow- one feature popular, however, was the mixing of the crash footage- that was really cool. I think there also had to be a more linear theme to the video, rather than what we already know. Otherwise it was cool.

And as always, in the words of Dennis Miller: "Thats just my opinion, I could be wrong."

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Killers Angel Eyes
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this thread gets read but I figured I'd post anyway.

I've never received a CM Award but have got silver a film time from the viewers votes. I'm not complaining about this. I know alot of my videos aren't fantastic and are too similar to others because they are just shipper videos. But I have a couple that I hoped would do a little better but haven't. Just wondered if you could have a quick glance over a couple, let me know where I'm going wrong.

Good Feeling - Ok, so this a kinda a shipper video, but I did try to make it different.

Superman - I never really do single character videos and worked quite hard on this one.

Thanks!

my videos
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ruth is away from LVI right now, Killers Angel Eyes, which is why she's not answering this thread. But we wanted to let you know that we've seen your question and we'll get back to you as soon as we can! Would you rather be answered here or by PM?
Killers Angel Eyes
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either really. Which ever is easiest

my videos
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Dr. Ruth or Worthy Substitute Doctors:

Recently I have been a little disappointed, not in the level of feedback that I have received (as per the usual, mostly silvers and one or two golds - although 'That Don't Impress Me Much' is a mere single vote away from a gold, I think, so oh well.)

I have been disappointed that I have gotten no critiques, pretty much. Even the video that did get gold - 'The Other Side of Summer' - has literally no comments, as do most of the others that I've released this summer, despite getting silvers or golds. The only one that did get comments was 'That Don't Impress Me Much,' obviously a shipper-y video.

I choose what I think are fitting songs - hell, the one for the Locke and Ben video had lyrics about the flashbacks, and has gotten no comments, kind of disappointingly, as I really like that video - and I think my vidding technique has gotten better. Some of the songs I've been doing recently are more popular, if older, songs - I did a Charlie vid to a Billy Joel song, after all.

So what gives? I don't think I'm choosing boring songs (and I'm choosing slightly more familiar ones nowadays); apparently the videos don't suck too badly, and yet the only comments on the video threads are me bumping them in terms of lyrics, to try to get people to respond. I appreciate the golds and silvers, but I'd appreciate critique all the more.

Thanks,

Critical Success, Popular Failure.

PS: Please feel free to answer either which way.

PPS: Locke and Ben video that I really like and wish people would comment on, subtle hint: here.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update: we haven't forgotten or not seen either of your posts, Killers Angel Eyes and thefilmchick. We'll be answering by PM as soon as we can. Thanks so much for your patience!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry again for the delay! Killers Angel Eyes and thefilmchick, you've now both been answered by PM. If you didn't receive an answer, PM me directly.
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like this has been innactive for a while, but i'm going for it anyway...

Dear Ruth,

I don't know if any council members voted on my last video, What I've Done, or not, but if anyone did, could they tell me why they voted silver? I'm not saying I think it deserved higher (I was very pleased with silver since it was only my second video EVER ), it would just be cool to know why, and that way I can improve future videos!!!

Banner and Avi by me. I take requests.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

riay_night wrote:
It looks like this has been innactive for a while, but i'm going for it anyway...

I guess nobody's had any questions for us in a while, lol! But no worries, we try to always keep an eye on the threads, even if they haven't been active recently! (And of course, if you feel like we've missed your post, always feel free to PM any of us. )

That said, we'll get back to you as soon as we can! Would you prefer to be answered here or by PM?
riay_night
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can PM me!

Banner and Avi by me. I take requests.
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna bump this thread up yet again... I was glad to see it!

I submitted my second and third videos to LVI a couple days ago. One got a user pick silver, which I'm very happy about, but the other one just isn't drawing in votes. It has been viewed almost 90 times, I'm assuming through LVI since I made it hard to search for on YouTube (on purpose), but it has only gotten three votes. I know I posted it over the holidays, and it's only been a couple of days, so I'm trying not to panic about it. It's just hard not to stress a little when you put a lot of time into something and it seems like no one likes it. I truly don't think my video is poorly done... I just don't know if it's just not as entertaining to others as it is to me, or if I'm really deluding myself about what constitutes a good/interesting video.

I think my two big questions I'd be interested in hearing opinions on are:

1) I see that the trend is to do quick clips that flash to the beat of a popular song, and since I have used obscure songs and longer clips (which I still try to make relevant, either to the lyrics or beat when I can), I wonder if that is part of the problem?

2) I thought people would really enjoy my third video, which is the one that has been viewed 90 times but has received only 3 votes. You'd think out of 90 viewings, at least a handful would be LVI members, so to me that says that people aren't enjoying my video enough to vote on it, or don't feel it's worthy. The video is "Intermission". I'd be curious about honest opinions as to what could be turning people off.

Thanks!

~ Julia
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I voted for your video Julia! I really enjoyed it. When I was new here no one watched my videos. I'd be lucky if I got one comment! I think that sometimes people don't watch videos from new vidders....at least that is what I have noticed.. But I know its hard not to stress about it. There are some videos I'm really proud of and think they will get a CP but then they don't and then some vids that I think won't get a CP do and I'm really surprised. I guess you just never know how its going to be received. I'm sure you will get a VP on your video..just may take a little longer! But just know that I really liked your video and voted! I try to focous more on the comments when I get bummed about not getting the votes I wanted.
Well, I hope that helps.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lostwithoutdom
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nikkimonique wrote:
When I was new here no one watched my videos. I'd be lucky if I got one comment! I think that sometimes people don't watch videos from new vidders....at least that is what I have noticed..

I think you're right about that Nikki. When I first started vidding hardly anyone watched my vids, and I barley ever got comments. It took a while to get noticed but it happens. Keep vidding, and sharpening your skills. Maybe enter some of the contests (you entered the March one, right??) Let people know what you can do. I'm sure it won't take long b4 you're getting gold VP's!!
Your vids are really good btw.

banner by: everythingwasfallingapart on tumblr
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep! No one even noticed me until I entered the November contest and then after that I got a lot more comments on my videos...I mean I think i was also getting better at vidding but then people also knew who I was so that helped too! Keep vidding Julia! Don't get discouraged!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: