Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Dr. Ruth's Office- GRAND RE-OPENING!
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Dr. Ruth's Office- GRAND RE-OPENING! Reply with quote

I've decided to take over the torch from Laura and start the Therapy Thread again- this time in "Vidding Help".

Rather than have this thread as a "bitch-fest' about how much the LVI council sucks, I thought it would be more constructive for people who really wanted to know WHY they didnt get a CP, or for people who want to know what we think of their video preliminarily- basically anything really.

The Council has taken the position, and I agree with it, not to comment on why or why not. But if you want to get better, we (Mol & I) are here to help.

DISCLAIMER: "I am not, nor have I ever been a doctor. I have taken Psych 101, have a degree in Anthropology and some Communication courses."

Please note that we are going to be honest. Not Simon Cowell mean, but honest. Please do not take it personally.

Let the therapy begin!

Dr. Ruth, Rocksiren

EDIT: Dr. Molly has decided to join tenure here at our Institution. Very Happy

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Dr Ruth can I be your receptionist?

Here's a backlog of your patients:

phoenix39 wrote:
Hey Ruth, I was looking around for the post you made with a free trial link to the program you use, but I couldn't find it. Can you repost it?

Thanks a lot.

rbexter93 wrote:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJbG9NAE4A8

My latest skate vid missed out on an award. I didn't expect a gold but thought it would maybe recieve a silver. Could anybody point out what they thought worked and maybe improvments for my future videos (judges or not, all comments welcome) thanks in advance

PsychoCynic wrote:
(Copied from "Dust in the Wind Video" Thread)

Again, this is mainly directed toward judges, but I'd appreciate comments from anyone.

Can someone please tell me what I could have done to improve this video? http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6815.

I really feel as if I have been progressingly gettting WORSE at vidding and I can't seem to figure out what it is that I'm doing that is so terrible.

I'll take any constructive criticism I can get because it seems that I obviously need it.

Thank you for your time.

-PsychoCynic

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the delay everyone.

Phoenix: http://www.cyberlink.com

product: PowerDirector

Bexter:

After re-watching the video and reading the council comments, it seems there was nothing "wrong" with the video, it just didnt have anything that separated it from other "Skate" vids. Just needed something to really make it "pop". Hope this helps!

PC (who, for the record, can do amazing things with photos I will never do- see banner below!). We actually did like "Dust in the Wind", but the song itself it so sullen, we thought it might have been better for one of the "goodbye" or "death" videos. Also, some thought the effects got in the way of the story. We appreciated the fact that you used Desmond footage- footage of him is few and far between. The theme seemed a bit repetetive. It was unanonymous: great story, and great beat use (rare, believe it or not). Dont get discouraged PC!

Hope this helped!

rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leylins june video missed out on a pick. I believe it should have gotten a silver (in my opinion it was a good video) but anyway I'm no professional like you guys! Can you please tell us what needed improving

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ig72kb7Uej4

And my contest video got a silver, I knew it wasn't gold but what could make it one?

http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7028
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay Bexter, am reviewing now...the contest ones are kind of hard because we dont put comments with them like regular voting, so Ill just tell you what I think (this in no way reflects the whole council). And plus were so focused on it fitting the contest...

Leylin- G-Help the outcasts- BTW, which Disney movie was this from? I really respect what you did with the material here. It may have helped not to have it from manily Kate's POV, I think it limited your creativity a little. It seems like a great song for an ensemble piece. Thats always a problem IVE found with my own videos- with slow-moving songs; its hard to keep attention.

Bexter- Wont say Im in love- I think I really did vote GOLD for this one (I believe I remember this one!); I liked how the voices matched up. For the others, however, I must say that it was probably a little random feeling...again for contests the material is pretty limiting.

I got to give you guys props for entering- I think I entered the very 1st one they ever had and I havent since. But you guys have a lot of potential. And thanks, ut I dont feel like a "pro" or anything- you should see some of my starter videos- I see them now and absolutely CRINGE! It took a long time for me to be decent, and even some I have on here I wish I could take down. But thems the breaks I guess! I think it bugs us when it looks a little too "montagey" and not on topic enough. I hope this has helped.

Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 10:57 pm    Post subject: An "Editorial" for Y'all Reply with quote

We on the Council, we watch a LOT of videos, as you can imagine. So when we notice that a song has been over-used, its REALLY been overused. I found that before I start any video, I usually log onto LVI to check if the songs been used, in what context, for a ship/non-ship. Then I make my plans. I am in no way preaching that you DONT use a song (if you think its perfect, then go for it!) but here are some tips for song selection:

1.) For example, using "You're Beautiful" by James Blunt for Kate and Sawyer...or Kate and Jack. As of right now, its been used 3 times for those 3 characters. Its been done. Hey- I know how you feel, I was ALL for doing my own "Welcome to the Jungle" ensem vid, but I abandoned it upon hearing that others had theirs in the works already. On another "Blunt" note- I see "Goodbye My Lover" has been used 6 times.

If you want to use it, go for it, but make it GOOD.

2.) Okay same goes for "Iris" by the Goo-Goo Dolls. This seems to be a favorite of LVI'ers. As of right now, it has been used 9 times, and another time in Hobbes' Orientation video. Thats a lot of use. BUT if you ABSOLUTELY MUST use it, maybe try something which is a favorite of mine:

A.) Who has done covers? Well, a search on sing365.com has revealed that Ronan Keating and Boyzone have done covers of this song. Theirs could be exactly what youre looking for. It would be a fresh approach to the song. It could f'in ROCK! OH NO! I reallllly wanted to use "Nothing Compares To You" for my video, but Nate/Lostzilla did the DEFINITIVE video for that song...I cant top that! Topping that aside, I can PERSONALLY vouch for the cover done by the Stereophonics- its all the better because its a male voice singing the song, and its a little more acoustic, but really good. Also Prince and "Girls Aloud" have done covers. Check them out!

B.) How about remixes? In my own various searches, I found at LEAST 4 different remixes of the original "Running Up That Hill"- for "Return to Innocence", there are countless. For "Army of Me", there was an actual separate CD released by Bjork of remixes and covers. There are almost 20 tracks for that one..the ONE song!

2.) Well where can I find new music? Barring any downloading from other sources, and also exposing yourself to the CD collection of siblings and parents, you could always hop on over to our mix-tape thread:

http://www.lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6144&highlight=mixtape

Everyone can contribute here (feel free to contribute yourself!). Its like getting a mixtape/CD in real life, but favorites of your fellow vidders and viewers. Its a great place to get good music and be exposed to some artists you may not have known about otherwise.

3.) "Hey whats the song?!?!?" Soundtracks are some of my favorite things in the world (scores and soundtracks) and I find myself getting to know new artists and composers from their playing in the back of movies and more and more, TV shows. People constantly say "oh yeah I knew about them before..."...Well, I DIDNT! SO sue me! I like 'em now! My favorite artist of ALL TIME has to be Heather Nova (my love affair with her has been going on for 10 years now) when I saw "The Craft" and LOVED her track on the soundtrack (a cover of Peter Gabriel's "I Have the Touch"). The rest is history.

4.) "GONNA GO BACK IN TIME!"- sometimes no matter how cheesy a song is, if you get all gooey from it, there are probably MANY others who do as well. I still really like "Hungry Eyes", even though its cheese. So who knows, maybe theres a great song just sitting in the barn not being used! Nothing you do has to be a Top 40-hit. Actually its almost better if it ISNT. That way no one will have pre-conceived notions about it, and its YOURS. So if its late 70's, it doesnt matter- go for it.

Anyway I just thought you all shouldnt limit yourself.

PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, Dr. Ruth.

*waves*

I got a silver pick for this video here: http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=7150

And I was wondering what I could have done to gain myself a gold pick. With the introduction of silver picks, it seems that those with mediocre programs (such as WMM) have either no or a slim-to-none chance of getting gold picks simply because the programs they use are inferior to Sony Vegas, or Adobe Premiere, etc. Is there anything one with WMM can do to get themselves a gold pick?

I had thought that perhaps this vid was would lead me to one because it was an AU (original, as Hobbes states in his guide), and from the reviews I've received so far, a well-assembled AU vid. Please tell me what I could have done to improve this vid...

Thanks.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey wazzup PC? As for your question about the programs, Ill have you know that the first video I EVER did was on a WMM, MM1, on a laptop...that took a long time, lemme tell ya! I actually have Sony Vegas AND Avid ($1500, for a course Im taking) on my machine...but what do I do? I use my same ol' unreliable program...because I have no idea how to use the others!. So dont feel too bad. I think you can do outstanding stuff on WMM...with that being said, Ill take a look at your piece...

Okay reviewing the comments of my associates, I see 2/3 of them thought it deserved Gold...normally I wouldnt recommend this, but perhaps you should re-submit for a revote (be sure to put that in). As for the piece, its REALLY good as far as AU goes, but it actually might work better as a trailer. Also, if youre going to go in that direction (and in no way do you have to) I'd tone down the effects somewhat. Otherwise it was really good, and I actually didnt vote on this one, but I wouldve given it a Gold. I say re-submit. Good luck!

PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksiren wrote:
Hey wazzup PC? As for your question about the programs, Ill have you know that the first video I EVER did was on a WMM, MM1, on a laptop...that took a long time, lemme tell ya! I actually have Sony Vegas AND Avid ($1500, for a course Im taking) on my machine...but what do I do? I use my same ol' unreliable program...because I have no idea how to use the others!. So dont feel too bad. I think you can do outstanding stuff on WMM...with that being said, Ill take a look at your piece...

Okay reviewing the comments of my associates, I see 2/3 of them thought it deserved Gold...normally I wouldnt recommend this, but perhaps you should re-submit for a revote (be sure to put that in). As for the piece, its REALLY good as far as AU goes, but it actually might work better as a trailer. Also, if youre going to go in that direction (and in no way do you have to) I'd tone down the effects somewhat. Otherwise it was really good, and I actually didnt vote on this one, but I wouldve given it a Gold. I say re-submit. Good luck!

Thanks for the encouragement on WMM. It's just that I hate its unreliability ("Let's freeze whenever I feel like it!") and its simplicity (when it comes to neat effects and tricks).

And I think I will resumbit my video. But, I've never done that before, so what exactly is the process? Do I go through the regular sumbit form and instead of typing in a summary, I type in "Re-sumbit for a revote"?

Thanks for responding so quickly to my first post, Ruth!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problemo- Im actually trying to avoid my coursework- learning FLASH! Anyhoo, um just put in parenthesis, like at the end (REVOTE). Well know what you mean. Also think about the trailer, you got some fun stuff there!

Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the judge in question changed their vote, thus earning this vid a nice hearty Gold Thanks for putting up with us PC oi, this is looking bad...

I'm not sure how exactly we want to handle REVOTES, but they are definitely available if the person feels they need them. Though next time I would suggest sending a PM to Aislynn about the revote when you submit it so one of us won't just mistake it as a duplicate entry.

Sorry once again for the trouble here PC I really hope we're not starting to really discourage you on the topic of vidding with all this ug.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
Well, the judge in question changed their vote, thus earning this vid a nice hearty Gold Thanks for putting up with us PC oi, this is looking bad... .

Oh, I have no problem "putting up" with you. In fact, I feel bad for putting you judges up to this. Excuse my pushiness...

Hobbes wrote:
I'm not sure how exactly we want to handle REVOTES, but they are definitely available if the person feels they need them. Though next time I would suggest sending a PM to Aislynn about the revote when you submit it so one of us won't just mistake it as a duplicate entry.

Sorry once again for the trouble here PC I really hope we're not starting to really discourage you on the topic of vidding with all this ug.

I'm sorry, I didn't know how to handle the whole re-sumbiting thing. Ruth suggested putting REVOTE next to the summary and I did. If this ever happens again (though I doubt it will), I will definitely inform one of the judges ahead of time through a PM.

Thanks so much ... again! (Have I mentioned how apologetic I feel for that. )
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well on about my picks

http://www.lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=2310

how could I have improved on this?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rbexter was helped by myself and other CM's via PM.

rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah and thanks for it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: