Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Judging on The Professor Vid

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Judging on The Professor Vid Reply with quote

To all the Council Members,

I submitted a vid called The Professor (http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=6163) and noticed today it did not get a council pick. Now, due to some feedback Hobbes gave me a while ago, I knew it would be a long shot that I receive a gold pick (even after the two/three alterations I made). However, I did feel that I would at least have a decent shot in gaining a silver pick.

I guess what I'm trying to say, since this is a self help section, is what were the parts that judges most especially did not like. Was it the trite idea? Editing? Song? All of the above?

And, furthermore, for my own clarification and knowledge, how exactly does one gain a silver pick?? I know that for a gold pick, a minimum of three members must approve. But I have no idea how a silver pick is given.

I hope no one takes this a complaint because it certainly is as far away from that as possible. I just thought I had been doing reasonably well on my videos and I can't figure what I did wrong with one.

Any feedback from the Council Members is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 3:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to tell you, it was very very close... however, it just didn't quite make it. A silver CP is easier to get than a Gold, it's true, but there's not much seperating them, and there's not much seperating a silver from nothing either .

Actually... you know what, I change me vote. I was really on the line for this one when I voted, and now after watching it again I can't really come up with a good reason why this doesn't deserve a Silver. I'm sorry about, it's just that it was really, rerally on the line there and since the song is so odd and tough to handle, the vid itslelf looks...odd. However, I agree that you did do it really nicely. Sorry about that once again

As for the method:
We still might change this method, but right now the official way is this:

3 judges vote on each video, voting "GOLD" "SILVER" or "NONE". Once those three have voted, the votes are tallied, with a number of points given to each kind of vote, 0 going to "none", 1 to "Silver" and 2 to "Gold". Finally, an award is given depending on the points: 5-6 = Gold, 4-2 = Silver, 0-1 = none.
In effect, it means someone who thinks a vid is gold can affect it a lot more, just as someone could think it deserves none while the others think it's gold. i.e. we compromise on it.

I'm sorry about that, I hate changing a vote after it's already out, but I think I was wrong on my vote there.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PsychoCynic
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2006 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, thank you for responding so quickly, Hobbes. I'm so glad that a vidder's questions are answered and that makes LVI such a great place.

Thank you for the explanation of the silver picks selection. It cleared things up a bit.

Thank you, most especially, for reconsidering my vid. Now, I really hope that I didn't influence your new decision in any way by my post (i.e. I hope you didn't decide to give me a silver pick simply to pacify me). If the vid actually did deserve, though, I'm glad and I thank you for taking the time to review it again.

So, um, in short, thanks for your time.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Happy to help

And yes, despite the fact that I really dislike changing my vote, I even-more dislike giving a vid something I don't find fair anymore watching the vid closely a second time, I changed my mind on it. But don't worry, I didn't change it just for your sake, the vid deserved it and it was my mistake for not voting that way the first time .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There were a couple of messy clips at the start and the ratio changes can be annoying. There's no reason why it shouldn't get a silver but it probably won't get a gold cause of that. Fix that and your vids should get more CP's. I'm not sure what you do on wmm to fix a ratio hopefully someone can be more helpful.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, guys!

The reason for the different ratio thing was I got the clips from various sources and episodes. I'm hoping to find a constant source for upcoming videos.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: