Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crossovers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:08 am    Post subject: Crossovers Reply with quote

Do you like/dislike crossovers? What do you look for in them? Be good to know as none of my crossovers have got council picks. Makes me think mods think crossovers suck ass. I love them though!

I think they are something different rather watch them than another sentimental romantic vid.

Sawyer the boar hunter is one of my favourite vids I dunno how that didnt get a cp makes you wonder what you have to do when attempting a crossover.
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be honest with you I enjoy the original stuff that comes through the site. I love all kinds of unique video making that comes through here and to be honest I look forward to the trailers (like Nate's recent one which is AWESOME), crossovers, and original stuff (like Enchirito's "Out of Context" videos). I'm only one vote out of a potential 7 but and a video needs 3 yes for a CP and 3 no's for a non-CP. From what I've observed 9 times out of 10 crossovers and other original stuff that doesn't end up with a CP is usually caused by lack of plot (usually not the problem but I have seen it happen where the story is difficult to pull out of the editing) which in and of itself is a challenge anyway when trying to do a crossover vid or the most often reason is audio. When an original video comes in we look strongly at the plot but also at the sound editing. With a straight music video you usually don't have to worry about that but with original work you do have to take that into consideration. That is if the audio is difficult for us to understand or it doesn't have smooth transitions then that usually starts to count against the video.

Now, I can't speak for my fellow council members, but I loved your Sliders video and voted yes for it. However, as I stated above I am only one vote as is any council member. I've seen a lot of videos that I thought were cool and deserving of a CP not receive one but in all reality that's why we have the council to individually review every video and make a collective decision based on majority voting.

I hope this explains things but for myself I love the original stuff that comes in and encourage more entries such as trailers and crossovers and other original stuff. Just because your latests ones didn't get CP's doesn't mean that your others will not. Every single video entry stands on it's own and is evaluated seperately by each council member with a fair and non-biast (sp?) stand.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Do you like/dislike crossovers? What do you look for in them? Be good to know as none of my crossovers have got council picks. Makes me think mods think crossovers suck ass. I love them though!

I think they are something different rather watch them than another sentimental romantic vid.

Sawyer the boar hunter is one of my favourite vids I dunno how that didnt get a cp makes you wonder what you have to do when attempting a crossover.

To me, that sounds like a pretty harsh analogy, Paul... but anyway...

I have nothing against crossovers when they're done well. A video that has a point and also manages to combine shows so it actually looks like the two are happening in the same reality equals a damn good video and my vote. Unfortunately, that's tough to do, so it might appear that we have some prejudice to crossovers.
If a vid can impress me, then I will be happy to vote for it. That's how I vote on regular vids, and I do the same thing for crossovers. If they can reach the bar, then they pass with a congratulatory handshake

As for Sawyer the Boar hunter: I thought that one was great very funny. Wacky and weird, and hardly related to lost but a damn entertaining vid.
As to why it didn't get a CP: I just checked the site, and our contest records, and it was indeed entered into the May Crossover contest. As you know, only the top three vids get the CPs, so that's why it didn't get anything. I'm sure you can understand that, since there were many crossovers in that contest, and many of which were also well-done and entertaining.

I thought your Sliders vid was pretty well-done for a crossover. It might have actually gotten in the top 5 in the May contest, actually but my problem with it was it didn't seem to have anythign to do with Lost. Sure it established the joke that the Sliders crashed on the island with the others, but what then? There wasn't much interaction in the vid to make it seem like they were actually in the same "reality", and then as soon as the plane section was over, there was just a bunch of cool flashes or characters. I loved that part, but still! lol It didn't seem to relate to Lost. I don't like turning down vids, especially from people who I know are great at what they do, so I wasn't happy about turning that one down any more than you were... I just had to do my job.

Oh, and now I remember your Goonies vid! I thought that one was great. Voted for it even. Not everyone agreed though, so what are you gonna do? But if that had made it into the contest, it might have ended up as one of my favourites. Too bad.

Now, what interests me here is why you noticed the "dislike" of crossovers, yet nobody's complained about the lack of CPs in Charlie/Claire vids. The two are one and the same: looking at the numbers, it looks like we just have some problem with both of them. But it's the actual videos that make the difference here. Both of them tend to have videos with less plot, and little else to back up the video. Crossovers: because they are a huge challenge to do sucessfully, and don't get all that much of a "handicap", at least for me. And C/C videos, because they tend to be very "cutesy", without anything original or anything to really grab the viewer, like a plot. They also tend to lie heavily on montages without attachment to the music . It's a shame, yeah, but when a great video comes out for one of the... ohhh damn it's good. A perfect example would be Holly's "Untitled". When done right, even a cutesy shipper vid can be amazing. The same thing goes for a crossover vid.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't take it out on the C/C vids! lol.

Yes, Holly's was superb!

Banner: Shinythings
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's not about them being bad. It's just that C/C vids tend to be not as good, just kinda due to the cutesy relationship, so it gives the vidders a shortcut... lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oo it's all coming out now
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: