Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Hobbes Contest 01: Space Oddity
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: The Hobbes Contest 01: Space Oddity Reply with quote

Welcome to my first unofficial vidding contest
mwahahahahahaha.....

Most of you have already seen Laura's contests on Lost Forum, right? Well, I wanted to try some contest ideas that just wouldn't fit as an official monthly contest out here.
I don't know if many, if any, of you would like to enter the contest, but hey it's worth a shot.

Description:
The entire challenge of this month's contest is to vid to the song "Space Oddity", AKA "Ground Control to Major Tom", focussing on Lost. It is one of the oddest songs you will ever hear, and if you're a fan of David Bowie and already know the song you may have noticed just how many weird and strange possibilities it offers, each of them fitting the lyrics in a strange and sometimes hilarious way For this reason, I decided it wasn't something I could just vid myself and discourage others from taking. There are far too many different angles for just one man!
Coupled with that, I'm so tired of seeing vids with some romance or action song that fits any situation. Come on! Get with the challenge! Far too few vidders take a song that really calls for them to wrap their mind around it and try to fit every scene into a complete story. That's what this contest is for.

And so, your mission, should you choose to accept it, is the following:

Song: David Bowie's "Space Oddity"
-Download
http://www.zshare.net/audio/david-bowie-space-oddity-major-tom-mp3.html

New deadline: May 15th
(Used ot be April 30th)

Rules:
    -The video must focus on Lost. Crossovers are permitted, but I advise against them unless you have a kick-ass idea.
    -You may edit the song, to a reasonable extent, if it is necessary for the video
    -You may enter previously-made videos to this song (though I don't know anyone who has) provided they follow the other rules
    -You may use animation or non-Lost material, as long as it is your own creation, or very short. I don't want to see half a minute of some space launch footage for example. I can be lenient with this rule if you tell me the situation (eg. if it is a crossover video)
    -Videos without working links at the deadline will have a two day's grace to fix the link (and I will try and notify anyone with a non-working link before that so this doesn't happen). Following that, the video wil be disqualified
    -You may send in as many alternate links to the video, as long as the video is the same in each one (file format can be different, but not the actual video)
    -Submissions are not final until the deadline. You may change your video prior to this deadline, even if it's entered.
    -Clip Theft (taking other people's videos, or part of them, and using them as your own) will not be permitted, and will be disqualified if found. But none of you are gonna end up doing that anyway, or I'm not gonna be able to find it

Submission:

- You do not need to submit the video to LVI in order to be entered into this contest, although I really encourage you all to do so. All entries must be posted in this topic or PMed to me (preferably posted lol) in order to be entered into the contest. The vids can, and will, be added to the site like normal if you send them in to LVI, as this is my unofficial contest, not an official one.
    -If you want to keep your entry a secret until the deadline, then PM me and I will hold it for you
    -If you submit it to LVI, put in "HC1" in the description just to group them all together in the future. Awwwww...

Judging:
I'll be stealing Laura's mode on this one Two seperate rounds, provided this thing gets some participation One just my vote, and one with a people's vote, with prizes for both.
I'll be judging on a number of factors, but the most prominent will probably be: story, theme, use of song, beat use and originality. For me the first and foremost part of any video is the story, especially with a song as specific as this. I'm afraid you'll find a tough time randomizing your way through this one guys

Prizes:
To be honest, this was what kept me from making this contest way back in the summer I have neither the funds, nor the knowledge, to send out stuff via the post office and I'm not one of those whizzes with Photoshop either.
So I thought long and hard at what I can do...
The 1rst place winners of my vote and the public vote will each aquire my 3D animation services for one of their videos. This is, of course, provided they want it. It comes with the limitation of my time available, and the conditions of the intricacy and difficulty of their animation. Simple birds flying isn't hard, animating Jack dancing is If the winner(s) doesn't/don't want the prize, it may be passed onto the second winner in that vote, and so forth. If someone wins both competitions, then they may offer up the offer to someone else, or they can just get their animation done in half the time
I will also try and get banners or avatars done for the winners, and in a true Laura fashion post a nice comment for each of the videos (as I hope everyone else also does as the entries are posted )
Sorry I don't have anything glamourous *sniff*

I hope to get a few entries, and if it's fun and sucessful possibly continue with a couple more of my crazy ideas in the future. But for now the goal is simply one or two people willing to enter this one

Entries:
Marcus http://media.putfile.com/Space-Oddity-17
Polarbear http://www.wasted-love.com/mvcollection/Videos/Spaceoddity.wmv
Leylin http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAVbhawQGlc
DaisyAdair http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T4KKrEzYwVs

So, who wants to enter?

Last edited by Hobbes on Tue May 16, 2006 12:36 am; edited 8 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i might enter if i can actually find time to do this. Awesome contest.

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
DaisyAdair
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds interesting !

I am not sure if I will enter....but I love David Bowie !

Here are the lyrics

Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills and put your helmet on

Commencing countdown, engines on
Check ignition and may God's love be with you

Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five,
Four, Three, Two, One, Liftoff

This is Ground Control to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule if you dare

"This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much she knows"

Your circuit's dead, there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you....

"Here am I floating round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do."
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when do we have to get them in by? Cause I'd hope it was like a good month and a half or so

I love David Bowie so I will definetly consider entering.
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
when do we have to get them in by? Cause I'd hope it was like a good month and a half or so

I love David Bowie so I will definetly consider entering.

Deadline: April 30, 2006
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I need to get some new glasses before I start making anymore vids
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

opps Daisy beat me to it
Quote:

Deadline: April 30th

I've loved this song ever since I heard this really weird and hilarious guy on Canadian Idol sing it pure vid-tastic
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChicaFrom3
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds fun! But I can't do it this time around--no time. (Tech week is coming up...and then productions...and...yeah...)

sig by niki blue
acme54
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm! Good idea!

Mite well enter dis un.

:: waits for muse to strike ::
CHARLIE - This is the most crap idea ever. It's never gonna work.
~~~~~~~~
BOONE: You been using that wacky paste stuff that made me think my sister got eaten?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Looks like I need to get some new glasses before I start making anymore vids

I didn't see it either, so guess I need those glasses, too!

Hobbes wrote:
The 1rst place winners of my vote and the public vote will each aquire my 3D animation services for one of their videos.

No. Way! How much does THAT rock?!?

Between the WMM guide and the two request vids I have to do, I'm not sure that I'll have enough time to do something up properly... I'll see what I can do. I'm very much looking forward to seeing some entries, though!

And thanks, Rachel, for posting the lyrics!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Between the WMM guide and the two request vids I have to do, I'm not sure that I'll have enough time to do something up properly... Sad I'll see what I can do. I'm very much looking forward to seeing some entries, though!

Ah, but the deadline isn't for another month! Come oooooon
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren, I'm not entering LVI's contest for this month or probably next month's either.....so, I've been mulling it over and I think I can make something and enter it. Which by the way...thank you so much for picking a theme where it's something I know.LOL. A lot of the contests I see out there are for bands I never heard of! LOL.

Look out, here comes granny! I should be feeling better really soon so I'll give it a wing.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY! I would LOVE to see that Steph Looking forward to it!

But you can still enter the LVI ones *sniff* I help think thoise up too, you know
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too much all at once for me. I've been entering other website contests....SHHHHH...so my vidding is so limited. But I wanted to enter yours because, well, you're too sweet. And i think it is an awesome challenge. I'll try my best.

To be honest, I think bragging rights is enough for winning a contest, ya know. I have never expected any kind of prize, nor would I ever! But that is so sweet for you to offer that. I hope I win now!!!!
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, is anyone aside from Steph (who is a heavenly person, btw ) entering?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: