Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Contest vids and Council Picks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Contest vids and Council Picks Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
You guys rock! We're gonne get like 20 entries this month we may have to award more than just 3 CPs this time

You know, honestly, I've never figured out why the contests and the CPs have to be all tied up into one like that... You could do the best vid of your life but if you don't win, place or show, then you don't get a CP. Yet if you would've just submitted the vid to the site, you might've gotten it. I thought the CPs are supposed to be a measure of a vid's own quality. But the contest system turns it into a matter of how well your vid measured up against somebody else's vid. How many vids that currently have CPs wouldn't have them if you made them compete for it and only let the top 3 have CPs?

I mean, hasn't there ever been a time in the contests when you guys thought ANY vid that didn't win one of the top 3 spots was worthy of a CP anyway? Do you really only get 3 "good" vids in each contest?

So, any thought ever been given to making it so that the contest entries are NOT automatically submitted to the site? I know that I'm very glad that my first contest entry isn't staring me in the face all the time (since it was before this current system). I'm sure there's a ton of reasons why this is stupider than a square wheel but I'll throw it out here anyway. What would be wrong with this:

1) Submit your contest entry.

2) The contest is judged and the top 3 go onto the site and get CPs.

3) All the other entries then can either be submitted to the site like a "regular" vid (and therefore be eligible to be judged for a CP on its own merit, not by how it stacks up against other vids) or the vidder can opt to just let their vid just "fade away."

Now, I know that would basically mean that some vids would be dealt with twice; once by being judged in the contest, then again when it was judged for a CP. But that just seems a bit more fair to me.

Again, I'm sure there's some fatal logistical flaw in that idea. But isn't there something along that order that could be done?

Okay, now please commence to tell me all the utterly obvious reasons why that's completely impossible and/or improbable. I feel like a moron for asking but that's just something that's always slightly bugged me.

*cringes in corner*

lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually Auntie I think it's a great idea.
The CPs and the contest should be seperated. Great vids that didnt win still deserve a CP so... I second that.

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I ever told you that I love you, Nate? *big kiss*

marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh I like that idea. I think most of the contest vids are some of the best vids on the site.

Not that my opinion matters....but still...thought I'd share.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I love you, too, Marcus. In an nice, innocent, auntie sorta way, of course...

Thanks, guys! I was afraid that everybody was going to look at me like "what is her PROBLEM?!?" *gives out cookies to everybody*

It's probably hard to take me seriously while I'm giving out virtual cookies, huh?

*puts on power suit, puts hair up in a bun, and puts on my "intellectual" glasses*

There, how's that?
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I think the contest vids should get ribbons lol
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*still wearing power suit and intellectual glasses, with hair in a bun*

[professional voice]Thank you for your support. Care for a cookie?[/professional voice]

SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will totally agree as well. CPs should be given to contest vids in the usual way, and extra ribbons should be given to the top 3.

I don't think i want to tell you the reason we don't already do it that way, because you will probably call me a bad, evil, lazy webmaster!

BUt hopefully it will help to know that this change is already on a long list of site improvments that may or may happen sometime in the future? i hope it helps a little at least..
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn, I've thought about this a lot too and I totally agree with you. To me, most videos entered in the contests are great, and if submitted as regular videos would probably receive CPs. I've had at least 2 or 3 vids that have placed 4th in the contests and not gotten CPs because they were not in the top 3, but are some of my better videos (Good Times and the year-in-review come to mind). I tend to obsess over CPs sometimes, lol, and wish more of my contest videos could get them, even if they did not win or place.

Enchirito, the "extra ribbon" thing sounds cool... Hope to see something like that on here soon!
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would agree but I think those that win should get some kind of special award cause there won't be much incentive in winning otherwise. There should be 1st place, 2nd place and 3rd place rosettes.

I was also wondering if we could feature the winning vids somehow on the main page to give them more oomph!
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you guys are totally right on all that. I definitely agree that CPs should be awarded regardless of place. It was more of a shortcut we had to take when we first started the contests. Otherwise, there'd be no award at all and there wouldn't be a point to winning the contest.
It's kinda almost a "nicer" thing though think in the case when 6 vids are sent in, 3 place, and then two more get CPs. Awkward.....

But as E said, it's on the list though actually implenting it would almost mean going to LVI 5.0

If the populus wishes it, we could still judge the vids for CPs, and award both the winning three and the rest of them CPs. keeping in mind, of course, that's until/if the big webmastery change.

Quote:

I was also wondering if we could feature the winning vids somehow on the main page to give them more oomph!

Oh that poor main page so jumbled
Perhaps a news page specifically for updates and contest announcements?

Last edited by Hobbes on Mon Feb 20, 2006 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
It's kinda almost a "nicer" thing though think in the case when 6 vids are sent in, 3 place, and then two more get CPs. Awkward.....

Though probably not worse than a contest with only 4 entries...

Hobbes wrote:
If the populus wishes it, we could still judge the vids for CPs, and award both the winning three and the rest of them CPs. keeping in mind, of course, that until/if the big webmastery change.

I know that I would really be whole-heartedly in favor of that, especially since it's something that you wouldn't have to do a sweeping website change to implement, so could possibly do more quickly.

I really, really, truly appreciate that so many of y'all agreed with me on this. I felt sorta silly for mentioning it but it's been nagging me for a long while. I might've even entered this month's contest if not for feeling like I could've done the best vid of my life but, by virtue of how many jaw-dropping vids I've already seen in this contest, know that I wasn't even going to have a chance for a CP. Sad but true.

Anyway, thanks again for hearing me out!
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't wanna start a new thread for this so I digged up this old one.

Anyway, I was just looking at the October contest page and only just noticed that the vid that got third place got a silver CP. In the first place, the reward for getting a place in the contest was a gold. Then you made it that anybody could get a CP but aswell as a gold one, the winners would get those "ribbon" things. Now, it seems like all you get is the ribbon, and the CPs are more of a "maybe" thing. That doesn't really seem very fair to me. I don't plan to get a place in a contest ever, but I know if I did, I'd definetly want a gold CP for it. So why did you guys do this exactly?

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Marcus!

It's a sensitive issue but the contest voting is totally separate than the CP votes. And I think it's better that way... there might be something like 10 gold worthy vids and I believe it wouldn't be fair not to award these vids gold (I remember you getting a gold for the July contest even though it didn't place... (Great vid by the way!!) Would you have prefered that vid not getting a CP? ).

Also, what if there's only get 3 vids submitted for a contest and one of them is the worse video ever sent it? Does it deserves gold?

Also, a video might be gold worthy but it might not fit the contest... for example if we had gotten the best most heart-wrenching, moving, sad, dramatic vid for the October contest... it would have gotten a gold CP but but it wouldn't have place since it didn't fit the "creepy" factor.

I might not have explain these very well. I haven't had my coffee yet...

I know other people agree with you though. Maybe we could revisit this if you still believe it's unfair not to reward the first three gold CP? So... what do you think? (imagine a video about dancing bananas getting a gold... )

I really need my coffee now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: