Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hosting Guide Talk
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 5:03 am    Post subject: Hosting Guide Talk Reply with quote

We just updated the Hosting Guide today, with two new additions! Now we have even more sites to use if an old one doesn't work. Use this thread to recommend any new sites you might have found, and if I like them, I'll add them to the list so people can use them, with your credit!

Pros and cons are listed as follows:
+ pro
- con
*** diagnosis

Putfile: (http://www.putfile.com/)
+ almost unlimited time (6 months from latest download)
- not all people can get it working easily (though all should be able to)
- only 10 MB
- tricky to download from (find out how in our forums)
*** 4/5: Best, most reliable service of any of these, and very useful for us judges to view the videos. Please send in your videos with this if you can, then once the video is on the site, you can put up any secondary links (with higher-quality videos from other hosting services here) in the page so everyone can watch with the best quality!

Picafile: (http://picafile.net/)
+ up to 60 MB!
+ Progress bar to show how much is uploaded
+ easy download function
- very sensitive to file types (ex. AVI files will NOT work.)
- not all people can get it working easily (though all should be able to)
- no specified length of time they’re kept up for! Could be years, could be a month. (We haven’t seen a video expired on it yet, however, so hopes are high!)
- Untested. We’re in the dark on this one, but it’s worth a try at least.
*** (3-5)/5: Risky, but definitely worth hosting on as a secondary link. If your video will work on this, try it out! It’s even better than Putfile if it does end up hosting videos for a long time. Also, please don’t send us any video bigger than 20MB. It takes a long time to download, and may put off a lot of viewers.
(Credit to ScottOrSteve and Movieguy for finding this site!)

Megaupload: (http://www.megaupload.com/)
+good time-wise (30 days from last download)
+ 500 MB
- minute wait for download (or so)
- untested
- slow uploads/downloads (at this time)
*** 4/5: Better than Rapidshare, but not better than Putfile. A little too slow. But very very close.
(Credit to Shannon for finding this site!)

Rapidshare: (http://rapidshare.de/)
+good time-wise (30 days from last download)
+ 30 MB
- minute wait for download (or so)
- doesn't work well for everyone (ex. AOL users won’t be able to download from it)
- only one download per hour (extremely annoying for us judges)
*** 3/5: Use as a primary download source ONLY if the above two do not work. If we get more than one of these a day, it means an hour-long wait until we can complete judging, which just doesn’t work at all. Otherwise, it’s very useful to offer people a high-quality video with this, after it has been posted to the site. (But first try out Picafile, and see if it will work for your video)

Yousendit: (http://www.yousendit.com/)
+ Works for almost everyone
+ easy to use
+ 1GB size
+ fast uploading
- only 7 days
- videos can be removed by outside parties (pranks, etc.)
*** 2/5 : Useful for sending files to others, but not for hosting a video. The others all offer PERMANENT free hosting. With Yousendit, you would need to upload your video every single week just to keep it up!
Handy tidbit: If you're on dial-up, and find yourself getting cut off all the time during a download or upload, consider trying out http://s12.yousendit.com/dmanagers.aspx Yousendget, a download manager for yousendit. Among other things, it allows you to resume broken downloads, so you don't need to restart every time! (Thanks to LostZilla for this info!) Also, it is very useful for downloads off other sites, if you find yourself getting cut-off all the time.

Recommendation :
First upload a file of 10MB or less to Putfile, and use that to send in your video. After the video is posted on the site, locate its forum topic (by clicking the “Watch and Discuss!” link on the video), upload a bigger version of your video to Picafile or Megaupload (20MB is a good size), and post that link in the topic. A moderator will soon take that link and put it up at the top, along with your other link. It also helps if you state what its file size is.
And again, only use Yousendit if you absolutely have no other choice. Updating links gets to be a very tiresome chore, and I you ever forget, then that video is useless!

Some terms:

Primary Link: The first link of a video, and the one you input here in the submit section. Usually should be a small file on a reliable server that can keep it up as long as possible (ex. Putfile) that way, you can be sure even the dial-up users can download it okay! The information inputted in the submit form should reflect this file (ex. 10 MB in size)

Secondary Link: Any link to the video that you post after it has been added to the site, and a forum topic has popped up. Post it in the forum topic, and a moderator will soon be there to put it in the download slot as a second (or third) choice for viewers to download from. It usually should be a larger file than the original, so people can view your video at its highest quality if they have the time. 20 MB is more than enough for this purpose.

Thank you for listening, and have a good time on the site!

-Hobbes of the LVI Council.

Last edited by Hobbes on Sun Jan 22, 2006 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Felt like gonig throguh and expressing my thoughts on each site:

Putfile Worked well for me when it worked! I can still watch vids but I can't upload anymore. Ever since that FamilyGuy Stewie Best Moments thing.
Picafile coughcoughthebestcoughcough Since I found it it;s my fav But seriously it great becuase you get the streaming plus the download link at the bottom helps not have to go through all the hassle.
Megaupload I never really enjoy waiting 45 seconds for a download. Another - for me, it takes so LONG to download a 10MBfile. Around 7KB/Sec
Rapidshare Pretty good.
YouSendIt I only think it's good for stuff over 100MB
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going with having putfile as a streaming link and a permanent download link cause my friend lets me upload the vids to a webspace
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 19, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts NOW on the subjects:

Putfile: If putfile works, it is the BEST to watch vids with.
Picafile: slooooowww, but very good! Found out recently they only host for about 60 days though... hmmm... I'll add that in to the hosting guide maybe
Megaupload: as soon as Enchirito gets back, he's removing this sucker SOOOOO SLOOOOOOOWWWW
Rapidshare: Everyone who usues this as their primary link should be shot >.< I may have to remove this one because of the "1 download an hour" thing.. When there are 13 videos to judgem, this is AMAZINGLY annoying.
Yousendit: I'm quite happy that we've successfully phased this thing out from everyone but the newbies who nobody cares if their videos are available for more than a week anyway!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Yousendit: I'm quite happy that we've successfully phased this thing out from everyone but the newbies who nobody cares if their videos are available for more than a week anyway!

That was mean, but true.

60 days, huh? Well, that's not bad.

Get rid of MU now Sick of that thing and only letting me download at 5 KB/sec on cable.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be mean and true, but it's their own fault for using it I warn them! You can't say I dont
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2005 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:

On that note this is not true of all vidders. We've had some new vidders give us some incredible work but it does seem to be a common track that the first videos sent to us by new vidders usually end up paling in comparison to ones that come afterwards.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 22, 2005 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, but almost every time we've gotten a great vidder form the start, they have known their stuff well because they took the time to take their videos seriously, and found out in the process that there are good hosting services so people will watch their video and there isn't a huge problem for the judges. So it's a GENERAL assessment
Anywhoo, to anyone who just stumbled into this thread, I'm just joking around As long as you make sure your video is in some good hosting, I'll love it no matter what, if for nothing else but for the fact that the video will stay up for free.
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is just a notice for everyone to review the Hosting Guide. It was updated last week. We made note of several hosting services that we can no longer accept due to problems members of the site have been having. Please review that before sending in any new videos.

http://www.lostvideo.net/hosting_guide.php

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody have problems uploading with picafile or megaupload? I can't get them to work. With Picafile, it will upload the ENTIRE file and then for some reason nothing else happens after that. With Megaupload, I've gotten a "this document contains no data" error, but that is just the first time. I am trying it again right now.
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2005 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Megaupload worked, but I really would have liked to use picafile. If anyone knows anything about picafile issues let me know.
Spinning Iris
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have problems uploading to picafile for the reason I don't know how it works. How do I know when my file is uploaded, where does it go, will I be able to get to it. ???
I'm feeling a bit deficient, could someone please explain it?
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey is anyone else having problems uploading their vids onto Putfile?
l've been trying for like the past 2 hours to upload my vid onto putfile but all l keep getting is this message.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Warning: gethostbyaddr(): Address is not a valid IPv4 or IPv6 address in /home2/x700put/public_html/index.php on line 8

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home2/x700put/public_html/index.php: in /home2/x700put/public_html/index.php on line 143

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Picafile's practically doing the same thing to me too.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had problems recently so I just switched to picapic seems to be working pretty regular now.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picapic!!! Thats it. l was just asking harry a few minutes ago what that other hosting site was. Thanks Pauly, l'll give it a try.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: