Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ballot Voting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:50 am    Post subject: Ballot Voting Reply with quote

Everyone that comes to LVI is eligible to vote in the ballot section. What worries me is I just came across a video in the poll that is linked ot the wrong screen but yet it has the most votes of any. It's Nate's "Nothing Compares To You" and while I'm sure most of you have already watched it I would hope that votes are not being based on all of you going through and just clicking on friends names.

Before you vote we expect you to watch all 5 videos in the poll. That's the only way to be fair. I want all of you to know that this is a serious matter for the council. We expect all of you to take it as seriously as us. So please before you vote watch all 5 videos then decide which one is the best. I want us to be able to do this next year so show us that you guys are willing to put the same effort into voting and participating fairly that we put into creating all of this for you guys.

I doubt that any of these things have happened yet but I wanted to get this said now before it does. We made each poll with only 5 votes to make it easier for all the entries to be watched. Every video that made it onto the polls is an amazing video in and of itself so please give the vidders in the poll(s) the same respect you'd want for your own video.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Click Here to Vote!

maybe put that at the top of your post too LC.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I meant to stick in a link and completely forgot...lol. Thanks E!

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could set gaps between voting that would encourage people to watch the vids lol

Heather's vid You and Me for pb n j isn't working. Has she got another link? :/
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, It's working for me alright try right clicking and saving as? What browser you on? I'm on firefox.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah I got it working now I had to paste the link direct for some reason don't ask me why.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I doubt this is happening on a wide-spread basis by any means, I just wanted to throw my own personal two-cents into the discussion about clicking the links to the vids in the polls. I can tell you for certain that if you have some way to monitor my voting in comparison to my apparent vid-watching (as denoted by clicking the vids' links), then you're going to think I've watched a total of 12 of the 30 vids in Round 1. That's because of my old friend dial-up.

Here's a little refresher course in dial-up, for those of you who either never have had to deal with it or have not had to deal with it in a long time.

Streaming in a vid is next to impossible; I have to download everything. That said, to paraphrase Sawyer, it's a good thing I'm a saver. I've kept just about every vid I've ever downloaded onto CDs. When this whole Tournament thing came up, the first thing I did was panic about trying to watch all these vids in time. So I had to make a list of all the eligible vids, then cross-reference with the vids I've already got on CD. That left me with 12 vids for Round 1 that I have to download before the deadline.

Let me tell you, that's a daunting task. You just can't download quickly on dial-up; even a vid under 10 MB can take as much as an hour or more, depending on how sluggish things are running. And dial-up fails sometimes as often as 3 or 4 times a night, so you can't leave it downloading something overnight and expect to find anything waiting for you in the morning other than your sign on screen, which probably came on 30 seconds after you left.

That said, I'm limiting my Internet activities until the Round 1 deadline, trying to give every meager bit of bandwidth to the downloading process (surfing around or having multiple sites open can cause even more disconnecting than usual). Even so, I don't know if I'll make it but I'm bound and determined to try to be able to vote in every pairing for Round 1. I'll worry about Round 2 later!

The vids in the Survey, however, are lost causes to me. Unfortunately, there's not one category that wouldn't require me to download 3 or more of the vids before I could vote. There's just not time to cram that in amongst these 12 already on my plate. The only exception is one particular category in which I miraculously have all of the vids. And I hate to tell you what I did: I accidentally clicked "vote" without selecting my candidate and now, of course, it won't let me vote a "second" time! It's kinda ironic; guess I'm just not meant to vote in the Survey!

Anyway, I just wanted to add in the Desperate Dial-uppers point-of-view. I know that I'm probably the only one here who tries to stay so active in vidding by using this type of connection (I once mistyped that I was going to send in a vid by UPS instead of YSI and, let me tell ya, that probably would've been faster! ). But I thought I'd better post this, just in case it does apply to anybody else out there.

Or just in case you detect some "suspicious" activity going on with the voting and it's actually just me, trying hard to participate with everybody else. I really AM watching every vid before I vote. I just won't be streaming them in to watch them!

Sorry for the long post. I'm not trying to do yet another dial-up rant, per se. I just wanted to give an accurate picture of what it's like to struggle with dial-up at a time like this. Or maybe this is just my experience with dial-up. Maybe other people find it just as easy as pie to stream vids or download large files quickly... This is what it's like for me, at any rate.

That said, I'm doing my best to ignore the bad stuff and just enjoy the amazing vids I'm getting to see, either again or for the first time. Viva la LVI!

~Aislynn
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll keep that in mind when looking for suspicious activity Don't worry, you're the absolute LEAST likely to cheat on somehting like this

I'd just like to make one quick announcement, as it seems to be a problem:

If you've noticed from the poll, each day it allows a person to vote once. This resets each day and allows you to vote multiple times. Please don't use it. We're trying to remedy the situation, allowing people to only vote once, but it's not fixed yet. If it turns out we can't fic it, then vote all you want, but wait until we give you guys the okay, alright? If anyone takes advantage of this while we wait to see if we can fix it, we'll delete any excess votes from the same IP if we can.
Thanks for the cooperation
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, does that mean that I can go back and actually vote for something in that one category, as opposed to having sent in a vote for nothing at all?

I'll wait until y'all give me the okay, though. But I really wouldn't be voting a second time, because I didn't bother to select a vid the first time. Oy. I bet y'all have now figured out that I'm a rocket scientist in my spare time, huh?

~Aislynn
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just want to say so it doesn't look I've voted three times my mom and dad watched the vids and voted today.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, should be all fixed One-time voting now! Now there's still the fact that people could go to a computer lab or library and vote multiple times but if they cared that much about videos on LVI, they would know not to do that

And es, thanks for telling us that MG
Ally
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is why I only voted in 4 Polls *Gg*
only the ones were I knew the vids already because I'm to lazy do download and watch oo
sooo only 4 votes from me
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah good one

And just for the record, I will not be voting in ANY PB & J poll, because I cant stand the sugary-sweet of that situation. I have nothing against it really, but there are so many...I got a tootchache last time!

PS- What am I doing with the GRE in 12 hours? Oh sitting here, reading the FORUM.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good luck with thr GRE

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks LZ...I did well considering I havent done any math in 8 years (didnt have to take any before graduation!). I got the same exact score as I got on my SAT's...

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: