Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x03 - "Orientation" Episode Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locke wasn't able to pull her up as the rope broke off the tree it would have asked a lot to pull Kate back up all the way Comparing it to being raped is silly.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually before the rope broke she asked him to pull him up because she felt something was down in the hatch. He kept lowering her and she said something like "okay" realizing she was at his mercy.

Anyway, agree to disagree on this whole Locke thing.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just watched it and she says quiety just after the rope breaks loose: " I think maybe we should.." then she starts getting lowered. He stops the rope when she shouts stop! and then Desmond starts pulling and hes unable to get her back.

You do make some good points LC but we all have our own take on things and I repect your opinion.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I just watched it and she says quiety just after the rope breaks loose: " I think maybe we should.." then she starts getting lowered. He stops the rope when she shouts stop! and then Desmond starts pulling and hes unable to get her back.

You do make some good points LC but we all have our own take on things and I repect your opinion.

Thanks for respecting my opinion but did you ever think the next word out of her mouth would have been "stop" had Locke not been so quick to keep lowering her without listening to her concerns?

www.lostvideo.net
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He asks if she is okay just after it breaks loose then she says I'm okay! Then she says maybe we should.. and he lowers sorry for skimming over that bit. Hold on I'll upload the scene.

Here ya go:

http://picapic.net/media/KFJ2YS4

I don't think Locke could have done much differently. I doubt he heard Kate when she said maybe we should..
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lostcalier wrote:
Locke got obsessive over the hatch and that is what killed Boone. If he had been less secretive about stuff that concerned ALL the survivors then they could have all worked together to get into the plane safely as a group. Instead Locke wouldn't even let Boone tell his own sister about the damn hatch. What happens on this island concerns them all and Locke did the wrong thing for the wrong reasons.

But.. what if Locke knows something about the island that the others do not, AND has a very good reason for not telling them? I mean, it's not like Locke is without compasion. He directly asked Shannon to forgive him even though it was clearly not his fault that Boone died.

But I do think he has motives yet unknown to the viewer that explain his obsession with the hatch. Because if not, then yeah, some of the stuff hes done in regards to the hatch is way out of line.

Thats how i see it and i hope both jack and locke supporters can agree with that.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do get the impression nothing would stand in his way and that is kinda worrying but I'm sure he would never willingly endanger someone's life and I am glad they're in now so he doesn't need to obsess as much now.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let me just say my peace before we cut it off! It's a "both sides" arguement, so hopefully that will settle this with good feelings from all.

Almost everything that happens in this show can be seen from two ways: The faith, and the science. The cause of Boone's death can be looked at both ways too, and this was very likely intentional. You could look at it from the reasonable way, which is that Locke couldn't climb up there, one of them needed to check it out (if it hadn't fallen, they would have had a working radio that could very well get them off the island) and Locke told Boone to get out of the plane, but it was his decision to stick in there and stay on the radio. On the other hand, you could look at it that Locke knew Boone was supposed to die from the vision, or at least get hurrt, and he willingly made that sacrafice in order to open the hatch. But whatever the reason was, it was still Boone's decision. Locke gave him a choice, he showed him that something special was going on on the island in the means of "Teressa falls up the stairs, Teressa falls down the stairs" and Boone went along with him. And even if Locke knew conciously or subconciously that Boone was going to die, he could have very-well made that sacrafice because it was worth it for the good of all the surviviors (or himself, if you look at it that way) The truth is, we don't know what he knows, we don't quite know his motives, but almost everything Locke does has a double meanin. He helps the others, and he helps himself. Take Charlie and his drugs for example. He helped him out, but he also bought himself a follower.How you look at that act is for the viewer to decide only, because simply stating it as one or the other is building up walls that are just gonna make this story less complex and probably less enjoyable in the long run

This same "two sides" thing can be attributed to Jack too. His act of trying to save Boone could be looked at as him as a hero trying to save him, or it could be seen as a selfish act of Jack's to try and save someone who he knew couldn't be saved. He wasted their mediacl supplies and he tore himself up trying to believe Boone could be saved. The same goes for his going after Ethan in All the Best Cowboys Have Daddy Issues. He risked Charlie's life by going after them when Ethan warned him he would kill one of them. He went against all logic and just rushed into the situation with his feelings. Granted, he managed to save Charlie, but what if he hadn't? Jack thinks with his heart more than his mind. Even compared to Locke, who believes the island has something special (and has given him many clear signs as to that, such as the vision, regaining his legs, etc) Jack rushes into things without thinking them through. He may be the hero, and his intentions may be absolutely pure, but he still ends up taking uge risks without reason. Which is why I see him as the loose cannon of the group. Though he is, I'll admit, closely followed by Locke... then Hurley

So anyway, keep your minds open to the oposite ends of the character's motives, because they were put there for a reason. I couldn't care less if Locke is the most evil person on the island and is gonna kill them all, but I love him because every move he makes makes sense, he feels real to me. All the characters do, I should say, but he stands out because Locke's character is such an ambitious challenge for the writers... how often can you make a villain that the viewers can undewrstand the motives of? especially one so...well... weird! Locke's a marvel of storytelling you've gotta respect him for that. It's only natural to like the characters that fit you best, so hating Locke is perfectly fine, but he's a well-made character. They all are.

Now, is anyone gonna comment on anything other than these two? I mean, go ahead with the discussion, but tack on some comments on the other stuff too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to know I will defend Locke to the hilt even moreso than Sawyer I love the guy and his episodes have been the best on the show so far imo.

Okay how about Desmond.. will we see him again? I hope so! I really like him!
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I won't disagree that Jack isn't perfect but he does far more for the other survivors then anyone else. Jack might have over used medical supplies but when Boone was put in front of him to him as a doctor it was his responsibility to do everything in his power to save him. Jack is a guy that when he makes a promise he does everything he can to fulfill it and when he can he bets himself over it. Which is a much better quality to have then leaving someone and not really caring that he is lying there dying. Locke should have stayed and maybe just maybe if he had stayed and told the truth for the first time Boone might have had a fighting chance because Jack would ahve been able to better assess him from the start.

Jack isn't perfect but none of the characters are because if they were their wouldn't be a show. My argument is that of all of them Locke is the least rational, the least trutworthy, and would probably be the first one to sell them out if given the opportunity. Hell look at how he sold Kate out with Desmond. Yeah he had a plan but that wasn't fair to Kate. I don't trust Locke and until the writers give me something to trust in his character I refuse to trust him. I watch the episodes he is in because of Terry O'Quinn but I don't like Locke one bit. Lucky for the actor I'm not one of those people that can't sperate character from actor. I enjoy watching the actor but hate the character.

www.lostvideo.net
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locke carried him all the way back to camp. He was distraught. Locke shouldn't have left him but he couldn't believe this had happened. He needed to go face what he perceived to be a sort of shrine to the island in the hatch. Boone had internal injuries Jack had no chance of saving him.

The selling out Kate thing that is very interesting. Going on what Enchritio said about Locke knowing more about the hatch or my theory is he has visions much like the Boone one. Perhaps he saw that Kate could escape through the vents and save them? Of course he may have just wanted time alone with Desmond to question him but it's worth a thought My first thought was that he had seen the vent opening before and knew her being the lighter would make the most sense crawling through the ducts.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really care whether Locke is good or bad, or even if he's not a character I like. All I know is, without him, the show could get pretty boring. And I do like his backstory the best.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as selling out Kate, it was the obvious smart choice to tie Kate up and let Locke negotiate. There would be no way Locke could bend out of those knots, and Kate isn't all that great at staying calm when someone's pointing a gun at her she might have taken a risk. He did what was "best for everyone" in his own words. As for the lowering thing, yeah those few seconds between the time Kate said stop and when Desmond pulled her down might have been Locke intentionally lowering her even after she said stop, but that can still be attributed to reason that pulling her up would just put her in more danger from whatever was in there anyway.

Desmond rules, he'll be back!

Quote:
I don't really care whether Locke is good or bad, or even if he's not a character I like. All I know is, without him, the show could get pretty boring. And I do like his backstory the best

Aiee Aiee Marcus! Exactly!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChicaFrom3
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
Desmond rules, he'll be back!

Yes! After "Orientation", I am officially a Desmond fangirl. I'm crossing my fingers for lots more Desmond later in the season. And I've started ending way too many conversations with, "See ya in another life, yeah?"

sig by niki blue
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh on to other things then...

Desmond is a very interesting character, much more so than Ruso I think. I hope he makes many appearances. Although the writers seem really fond of this 'panting seeds' technique. (i.e. introduce new character. learn just a bit about them. let loose character so he can make future appearances when convinient.) But being an island i can see why they need to do things like this - the show would get stale if they didn't.

I like where micheal/sawyer/jins story is going so far. Although I do not like michelle rodriguez's Anna Lucia. Don't get me wrong - her character seems fine. Her acting is uh, not so good. LIke Evi, she can't seem to convincingly pull off her character. Sorry Evi fans, I'm sure shes a great person and all, but I can't be the only one who finds her acting, well, not convincing at times.

oops.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: