Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2x03 - "Orientation" Episode Discussion
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 1:49 am    Post subject: 2x03 - "Orientation" Episode Discussion Reply with quote

Discuss tonights episode here. Beware of spoilers from this point out. Even though this is the "No Spoilers" room this is a dangerous topic to enter if you have yet to see the episode. Some may use spoiler color font but many will NOT. SPOILERS from this point on out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
First aired: 10/5/2005
Writer: Javier Grillo-Marxuach, Craig Wright
Director: Jack Bender
Guest star: Robert Patrick (Hibbs), Marvin Candle (Dr. Marvin Candle), Michael Lanzo (Waiter), Jeanne Rogers (Moderator), Roxanne Sarhangi (Francine), Katey Sagal (Helen), Curtis Jackson (Security Guard), Kevin Tighe (Cooper), Henry Ian Cusick (Desmond)
Jack, Locke and Kate learn more secrets about the hatch. Meanwhile, after being beaten and taken captive, Sawyer, Michael and Jin wonder if their captors are fellow survivors or the dreaded "Others." Flashbacks reveals more of Locke's past in this episode as well as the introduction of Helen (guest star Katey Segal) who shakes things up even more with her revealing personality and past.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am so not a Locke fan but other then that this was an interesting episode. It was nice to learn so much about Dharma and I enjoyed Katey Segals performance and despite the fact that I think Terry O'Quinn is a great actor I just can't feel for this character. To me he seems like a loose cannon and on an island in the middle of nowhere that can't be good. Oh well maybe as we get more backstory I'll understand him better but this week really didn't help with that at all.

www.lostvideo.net
BA5763
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone else think that we were still kinda in the "timeloop" from last week? Like, we still haven't really gotten that far timewise? Yeah, we learned about Dharma, and that it is a swan on the logo, Locke is a bit insecure, but I kinda feel like we still haven't gotten anywhere. I'm kinda wondering when they're gonna pick it back up to the 2 days/episode pace they had last season.

(and for all the spoilerphobes, I already posted my thoughts about the preview in the Spoiler thread)

B
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostcalier wrote:
I am so not a Locke fan but other then that this was an interesting episode. It was nice to learn so much about Dharma and I enjoyed Katey Segals performance and despite the fact that I think Terry O'Quinn is a great actor I just can't feel for this character. To me he seems like a loose cannon and on an island in the middle of nowhere that can't be good. Oh well maybe as we get more backstory I'll understand him better but this week really didn't help with that at all.

Really? I thought Jack has always been the loose cannon. He's all yelling at people, pointing his gun, when all Locke wanted to do was figure out what was in the hatch and stop that countdown in case it meant something bad. I guess this is the magic of the tv experience the Locke people think Jack is crazy and the Jack people think Locke is. I guess I know where I stand on it now though lol. I've never been able to really feel for Jack, but every Locke episode gets listed as my favourite. Interesting....

Okay, that was messed up though... how could that possibly be the same Hellen from the phone calls? the times just don't work out. Locke said he'd been talking with her for 8 months when he was on the phone in walkabout, and that was just a month before his trip to Hawaii and the plane crash. Now, he said that he had lived with his condidtion for four years, so if that's all true then how could he have lost his ability to walk in the twom onths before he went on the walkabout tour (we left off this episode with him and Hellen's relationship at its four month aniversary)

My conclusion from all that is it's just not possible, or someone lied. So that leads me to believe that there are two different Hellens... either that, or Locke lied about the "four years". He also lost his hair in those two months, so I don't know... seems like it just doesn't fit. And why would there be two Hellens? that seems like an odd choice of the producers.
Anyone find a way around this predicament?

I liked that episode. It may not have really ggone anywhere, or REALLY told us anything, but things are finally on a straight curve again. They have a purpose now. they don't know what that is, but they have a purpose. Plus,. that food thing is probably gonna lead to some SERIOUS Lord of the Flies action oh yeah!

It was still a moving backstory, even if not as much as Locke's last two. I must say, he has the best of them all.... and it explains why he has this need to believe. Jack has something quite the oposite, and I can't wait to find out just what happened to Sara maybe Jack was faced with some choice where he'd have to believe in something almost impossible, like if she was put into a deep coma, and he made the logical decision instead of going with that little sliver of hope...that would explain things nicely AND give a good dramatic episode oh no now I've ruined it....

I hope that most peopel who watched this gathered why Locke made Jack push the button. Though then again, the people who hate him will just say he did it because he thought he might be in danger or something, or he just wanted someone else to help him man the post. But I hope those that love Locke see why...

Sayid is like... the God of electronics

And poor Hurley and the food.... what are they gonna possibly do with it all (spoilers aside.) I mean, if they split it up, it'd last a day. If they shared it just amongst those who knew, it could turn into hugeass chaos and Lord of the Flies (as said above). Nice twist anywhoo, it gives them a chance to bring some conflict to the island at least .

"we're gonna have to watch that agin"
LOL I'll bet that was what every Lost fan was thinking when they watched that thing. I know I was

Soooooo Ana Lucia IS a bitch! I KNEW it! Where's Jake?!?! Come on, I know you're here! High five!
Nah, she's PROBABLY end up good eventually... but I still don'tlike her... Nice to know that actress hasn't broken out of being the tough girl surprising.... ()

It doesnt make sense though... why didn't they just take the gun off Saywer when they were PASSED OUT? Maybe they just wanted information from them... hmmm... but still, you'd think they'd take the gun away. Not noticing is a lame excuse too... The only possiblye thing I can think of is they wanted a way for Ana Lucia to escape from there safely, as any other way would involve them pulling her a bit at least I guess.

So, who thinks those were the other plane survivors? and who thinks they were native islanders? I'm kinda glad they're at least evil though... should be more intereesting It just sucks to bring in a new group of protagonists just like to fill the ranks
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BA5763
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think they are may be other plane survivors, hence "Others"... sorry to state the obvious...
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:

Okay, that was messed up though... how could that possibly be the same Hellen from the phone calls? the times just don't work out. Locke said he'd been talking with her for 8 months when he was on the phone in walkabout, and that was just a month before his trip to Hawaii and the plane crash. Now, he said that he had lived with his condidtion for four years, so if that's all true then how could he have lost his ability to walk in the twom onths before he went on the walkabout tour (we left off this episode with him and Hellen's relationship at its four month aniversary)

My conclusion from all that is it's just not possible, or someone lied. So that leads me to believe that there are two different Hellens... either that, or Locke lied about the "four years". He also lost his hair in those two months, so I don't know... seems like it just doesn't fit. And why would there be two Hellens? that seems like an odd choice of the producers.
Anyone find a way around this predicament?

My "theory" is that he called the girl on the phone Helen just as like a comfort for him or something like that. I mean if he's paying her to talk with her, I think he's entitled to calling her Helen. I don't know. Just a guess.

Banner: Shinythings
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ebizmybef74 wrote:
My "theory" is that he called the girl on the phone Helen just as like a comfort for him or something like that. I mean if he's paying her to talk with her, I think he's entitled to calling her Helen. I don't know. Just a guess.

What I think too
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh I like that theory. Excellent! That explains the "Im not allowed to see customers" and such great too!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mentioned in the film: http://www.thehansofoundation.org/activeproject.html
new Lost site! Woot!
BA5763
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa! Did you see the hidden link to nowhere?

Also, this is what kinda clicked in my brain, for any Tarantino-philes: Hanso, also the name of the swords in the KillBill movies...
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, I noticed. Not much on this site, but maybe stufff gets unlocked somehow. It would certainly make sense. I'd like to see what E has to say about it might be somethign hidden in the source code I can't see...

Oh, and in that training video they mentioned this research continuing on from the work of BF Skinner: http://www.bfskinner.org/bio.asp Basically a behavioural scientist. the Hanso site (lol Kill Bill ) mentions the "Juxtapositional Eugenics Development Institute"
Juxtaposition is an act or instance of placing two things close together or side by side. This is often done in order to contrast the two, to show unlikeness or differences, to note the opposite qualities of the two, etc. Eugenics is a social philosophy which advocates the improvement of human hereditary traits through social intervention.\
So in other words, if this stuff is true, then it is purgatory! Scientifically created purgatory... lol Like a test tube crammed with cats and dogs to see how they react and to better them by their.... differences...? oh nevermind...
BA5763
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa Warren!!! Are you secretly some kind of Science/Physics/whatever Major that we should know about? Or do you work for some faction of the CIA...? I'm just kidding... being blonde is all.
meandi
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA5763 wrote:
I'm kinda wondering when they're gonna pick it back up to the 2 days/episode pace they had last season.

An upcoming episode will be called "The other 48 days" and will be about Ana-Lucia and her time on the island. So I think that by this episode, we will be at a timeline of 48 days since the crash... at least that's what Iäm hearing.
And don't worry, the timeline will pick up fast speed soon. Damon Lindelof said that S2 will be about the next 45-50 days in 23 episodes, soo... this will be moving fast
That makes it a 85-90 days timeline in the end of S2...??
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BA5763 wrote:
Did anyone else think that we were still kinda in the "timeloop" from last week? Like, we still haven't really gotten that far timewise? Yeah, we learned about Dharma, and that it is a swan on the logo, Locke is a bit insecure, but I kinda feel like we still haven't gotten anywhere. I'm kinda wondering when they're gonna pick it back up to the 2 days/episode pace they had last season.

(and for all the spoilerphobes, I already posted my thoughts about the preview in the Spoiler thread)

B

Yeah its still the morning after they blew open the hatch 3 episodes later lol It was a good episode and we learned heaps about the hatch apposed to Adrift where we learned zip.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about this episode the more I'm lead to believe that these "Others" we saw last night were not really "the Others" but in fact the other survivors. Ana-Lucia seemed defenseive when asked how she got there or how she had survived. My hunch is they believer Sawyer, Michael, and Jin are "the Others" so now we're stuck with a big mess of miscommunication which is compounded by the fact that Sawyer had the gun. I really think Ana-Lucia was only doing what any of the survivors we know would do in the same situation. She gained intel and got out. I mean that's what they would have done with Ethan had Charlie not killed him. I still need to see more on Ana-Lucia but I think her character will bring a unique dynamic to the cast this season.

I hate it that people can't give her a chance. Yeah she does tough girl roles but that's what she wants to do and I say all the more power to her. She is a good actress that deserves a chance on the show. How about everyone waits to judge her till we've seen more then 5 minutes of her in 28 episodes. I think everyone will be surprised by the stuff they're going to establish for this characters story. So all I ask is you guys give her a fair chance and don't just judge her because of the characters she plays. Hell I can't stand Locke but I still admire Terry O'Quinn. Don't hold actors accountable for characters they play. They need to pay the bills and have a roof over their heads and food on their tables just like the rest of us.

On another note, this whole Dharma thing is pretty cool. I like how you're right there with the characters wondering what would happen if they didn't push the button. Did the electromagnetic stuff bring down the plane? What causes that electromagnetic thing? It's really an interesting thing to wonder and despite we learned so much we're left with so many more questions.

In terms of Helen I'm nearly sure that the Helen we heard previously was a different Helen. Locke's way of feeling a void that will be left by Katey Segal's Helen. This is honestly the first time where anything from Locke's background has seemed interesting to me. But he still seems like a character that is to much a loose cannon. How many people have suffered because of him? Boone, Shannon, Kate, etc. and while some will argue that he helps just how much does he help? Where was he when Boone needed help? I don't trust Locke and until I'm given reason to I don't plan on trusting him. At least with Jack you know a lot more about where he stands on things then Locke. He's a LOT more stable then Locke and while he may seem a bit off who wouldn't with the responsbility he has as the only doctor after surviving a plane crash. I commend Jack for the way he is stepping up and taking lead.

www.lostvideo.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: