Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Alcatraz
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:37 pm    Post subject: Alcatraz Reply with quote

Anyone watching?

I've only seen the pilot so far; I want to watch the rest too though.

Feels so good having Jorge Garcia back on a new show. I giggled so much at him referring to Alcatraz as "The Island"

It's also good seeing Sam Neill again. It feels like age since I've last seen him on a big project.

The music on the show reminds me a lot of Lost.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've caught up with this. It's pretty good so far. Although I don't know why, but I found myself being really shocked at all the innocent deaths and violence. I dunno what I was expecting but I just found some scenes really hard to watch

Jorge is really great. I'm really pleased there has already been some character development for him and also an insight in to his past.

The music is so much like Lost, is it the same musicians?

I really like Lucy, she intrigues me. I think she might become my favourite character.
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
I've caught up with this. It's pretty good so far. Although I don't know why, but I found myself being really shocked at all the innocent deaths and violence. I dunno what I was expecting but I just found some scenes really hard to watch

IKR!

Spoiler:

The sniper in episode two who randomly killed innocent people. And I'm watching episode three right now with the guy who kills eleven-year-old boys. Creepy!!

Quote:
The music is so much like Lost, is it the same musicians?

Michael Giacchino is listed on IMDB for the music in Alcatraz.... guess that's why it sounds so much like Lost. Never change a winning team, huh?
I just hope they'll do a better job at explaining things than they did on Lost

Quote:
I really like Lucy, she intrigues me. I think she might become my favourite character.

I liked her in episode two, too.

Spoiler:

And I wasn't surprised at all that she was the doctor talking to the sniper back in 1960 in episode two

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So ummm

Spoiler:

...now we have keys and a secret door that leads to God-knows-where.... or to WHAT or WHOM?

...we have former prisoners who seemed to have been kinda brainwashed or taken their memories because - apart from that guy in the pilot - none of them seems to be surprised or confused that they're suddenly in 2012, not 1960? And the brainwashing probably happens in "The Hole"?

And what is it with the time thing? I may be confusing things here, but I think that Doc and Rebecca mentioned at some that they only got a certain amount of time to find the prisoners. Is that right?

Ah God, I think this show will be SO MUCH like Lost when it comes to all the mysteries. And I'm not sure if that's a good thing

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still on the fence with this show.. really want to like it but it does seem very procedural which isn't something I ever usually enjoy these days.

The main lead is very attractive. How can you not love a short girl with lets say ample assets? She reminds me of Olivia on Fringe in that she comes across as a bit of a n00b actor and it might take her awhile to grow into her role.

The main thing that irks me with the mythology is that the guys who came back don't seem to acknowledge that the world for them has changed. Surely they would be more WTF about all the new technology and such.

I love Sam Neill and Jorge although I am not seeing him as anything other than Hurley right now. Hopefully we will see more of his character backstory.

I would really like to see more of the flashbacks to original Alcatraz. That's the storyline that interests me the most. If the episode was more evenly split between the two, or had complete episodes back in time, that would be epic.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The sniper scene was the worst for me. I don't know why I was so shocked by it. I've never really been that shocked by scenes like that before.

Spoiler:

I'm not sure about the brainwashing thing...are they being brainwashed? I'm not sure at all what the doc was gonna do to that guy, I thought he was going to bring him back to life!??!

I was a little disappointed with how they dealt with the time travel thing a first but now I'm cool with how they're doing things

Quote:
The main thing that irks me with the mythology is that the guys who came back don't seem to acknowledge that the world for them has changed. Surely they would be more WTF about all the new technology and such.

I agree with this, it annoyed me too. But the thing is, haven't some of these people been back for years? Or did I make that up? They're definitely coming back at different times, so I thought maybe some had been back years in advance and had therefore got used to everything?

The girl reminds me of Emilie de Ravin in that film where she played a detective who deals with hostage situations. Her acting was a little off for me at first too. I just remember when Jorge's character turned to her and went "is your mind exploding right now?" because she seemed completely unfazed by everything
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:

I agree with this, it annoyed me too. But the thing is, haven't some of these people been back for years? Or did I make that up? They're definitely coming back at different times, so I thought maybe some had been back years in advance and had therefore got used to everything?

Yeah. That's defintely possible for most of them. Although the first guy we saw seemed to just show up in Alcatraz all of a sudden, it was like that was his first experience of the new time.

My fear is that they are going down the road of...

Spoiler:

Cloning. Wouldn't like that at all..

Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, whaaat?

Spoiler:

Why would they do that?

Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spoiler:

I dunno lol It would explain a few things about why they don't react to the new timeline as something different, and I was getting the vibe off that doctor that he might have like created them in the first place. As to why it would make any sense for the scientists to do that? I have no clue.

By the way have you seen Kyle XY? That does cloning right It's an awesome show. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kyle_xy

Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just confused me even more xD The kid's show? I heard of it but I don't think I watched it.
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
Spoiler:

I'm not sure about the brainwashing thing...are they being brainwashed? I'm not sure at all what the doc was gonna do to that guy, I thought he was going to bring him back to life!??!

Spoiler:

Well, in the last episode - in one of the flashbacks to that birthday dinner party - they were discussing new technologies, one of them being taking and manipulating the criminals memories.... behaviour modification in some sort of way... so that they wouldn't remember their crimes and the sources of the violence in their characters anymore.
One of the two prisoners who were serving dinner said something like "And now they're taking our memories as well??".

That's what made me think that they may have been brainwashed or manipulated in some way, you know.

Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, I think I missed an episode xD what day does this air?
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last episode aired on Monday. It was the one with the bank robber.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I missed an ep Watching it now. The violence is putting me off to be honest. I know it's probably expected, but I don't really like stuff with a lot of violence. It's what put me off about Lost too.

I really really love the music used in the intro!! I want it but don't know where to find it!!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jemmz wrote:
Yup, I missed an ep Watching it now. The violence is putting me off to be honest. I know it's probably expected, but I don't really like stuff with a lot of violence. It's what put me off about Lost too.

I know... all the scenes with the bolt pistol were really unnecessary. Besides, the idea is totally stolen from No Country for Old Men.... and in that movie this really brutal idea at least worked in an effective way because the killer in that movie was a total nutcase. The prisoner in this episode, however... not so much! He was "just" a bank robber and why the heck would he kill people like that??

I was wondering though, Jemma: You do watch The Walking Dead, right? Doesn't the violence there put you off as well? (Or doesn't it put you off so much because it's not as realistic with all the Zombies as it is on Lost and Alcatraz?)

Quote:
I really really love the music used in the intro!! I want it but don't know where to find it!!

I'll let you know if I find it somewhere. I don't know though if it has any other name than just Alcatraz Main Theme?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: