Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game of Thrones (books & TV show)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2012 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cool, Paul!!
Did you find more pics from the last three episodes?

I've only read one more chapter last night but that one was amazing:

Spoiler:

Eeeeeee!!!
Arya and the Hound!!!
I already knew that that storyline was coming up but not how and in what way.

That chapter was so amazing, with Sandor having to fight against Beric Dondarrion!!! (And what a badass character, too! I can't wait to see whom they'll cast for that role!!)

I'm wondering though: What's up with that whole Lord of Light-thing?
So on the one hand we have Melissandre worshipping this Lord of Light. So far, she's seemed like a batshit crazy, evil witch and pretty much a lone wolf when it came to that Lord of Light-thing.
And now there's a whole "brotherhood", lead by Beric & Thoros, who are worshipping this one god, too? What exactly are they? I mean, I know that they're pretty much a gang of outlaws, but they come along as a bit of a sect?
And why can't Beric be killed??

Oh, and who are the Mummers? They also seem to be a gang of outlaws (pretty nasty ones) but they don't have anything to do with the brotherhood, do they??

*is confused*

Oh, and did you two also notice that

Spoiler:

the Hound seems to be even a lot more hateful in the books than he is on the show? They toned him down quite a bit on the show.

While reading this last chapter, I kept thinking: "My god, THAT MOUTH!!"
He keeps saying so many really horrible and vulgar things all the time!

Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, how did I miss this post? I'm just going to spoiler my whole reply so I can respond more easily to each point.

Spoiler:

KajaM wrote:

I've only read one more chapter last night but that one was amazing:

Eeeeeee!!!
Arya and the Hound!!!
I already knew that that storyline was coming up but not how and in what way.

That chapter was so amazing, with Sandor having to fight against Beric Dondarrion!!! (And what a badass character, too! I can't wait to see whom they'll cast for that role!!)

Such an epic combination. I love how, by this point, we're starting to see that Arya is changing hands from one "trainer" to another. Starting with her father, then Syrio, then Flea Bottom, Yoren, Roose Bolton (or in the case of the show, Tywin Lannister), Jaqen H'gar, and now Sandor.

Quote:
I'm wondering though: What's up with that whole Lord of Light-thing?
So on the one hand we have Melissandre worshipping this Lord of Light. So far, she's seemed like a batshit crazy, evil witch and pretty much a lone wolf when it came to that Lord of Light-thing.
And now there's a whole "brotherhood", lead by Beric & Thoros, who are worshipping this one god, too? What exactly are they? I mean, I know that they're pretty much a gang of outlaws, but they come along as a bit of a sect?
And why can't Beric be killed??

Even by the end of book five, I'm not sure what to think of R'hllor. At first I thought it was completely evil and that Melisandre was evil, but even by the point where you are, I was beginning to think that Melisandre really believes she is good and in the right (even if it turns out she's not or something) and that is probably true of all of her followers. It's such a good versus evil set-up between Fire/Lord of Light and Ice/Shadows/Darkness/The Others, but what confuses me is that both good and bad characters fall on both sides, so it's impossible to know which side is right and which is wrong. Maybe that's the point? There does seem to be an underlying theme in this series of "the right side is always the side you're on".

I'm not sure that the Brotherhood is much of a sect, though. I think Thoros kind of does what he can, but I don't think they're primarily operating as soldiers of R'hllor. Under Beric they are still carrying out the orders Ned Stark gave him when he was Hand in book one--to go out and bring in the Mountain and his men who were out terrorizing the countryside. So, even though Ned is long gone, Beric and the Brotherhood see themselves as still serving Robert and his Hand and are dedicated to carrying out those orders. I can't recall how they became involved with Thoros, but I think (as you will find out) they quite rely on whatever power the Lord of Light gives him, so they can't really fully reject him or his beliefs even if they don't specifically hold to them.

Oh, btw, here's the guy that played Beric in season one during the scene where Ned sends him after the Mountain and his men. It was a really brief scene so I don't know if they'll bring him back or re-cast the part. I kind of liked this guy, though, what little we saw of him. http://www.imdb.com/name/nm2364108/

Quote:
Oh, and who are the Mummers? They also seem to be a gang of outlaws (pretty nasty ones) but they don't have anything to do with the brotherhood, do they??

No, not related, thankfully. The Bloody Mummers are a sellsword company from across the Narrow Sea called "The Brave Companions", made up mostly of criminals and other low lifes. They were hired by Tywin Lannister to terrorize the lands of his enemies during the war. I think they more or less mix with the Mountain's men, too, so they end up being part of the group that the Brotherhood Without Banners is looking to eliminate.

Quote:
Oh, and did you two also notice that the Hound seems to be even a lot more hateful in the books than he is on the show? They toned him down quite a bit on the show.

While reading this last chapter, I kept thinking: "My god, THAT MOUTH!!"
He keeps saying so many really horrible and vulgar things all the time!

Yeah--it really shocked me reading some of the things he says about Sansa, but I think that is just evidence of the fact that he's still quite angry and rough around the edges. I don't think he means any of it to the degree that he says it. I do think he regrets not killing Sansa, though, because I think he feels it would have been a mercy compared to whatever fate he has left her to. I think the other reason he talks so mean is I think he enjoys scaring people, especially people he sees as innocents. I think he is probably quite jealous of anyone who hasn't met with the reality of what a horrible cruel place the world is, and tends to be very bitter and mean to them. Obviously he is misjudging Arya, because she is far less of an innocent than he at first realizes.

By the way, I just have to say in retrospect I hope I have never spoiled anything for either of you. Among all my friends and family reading the series, I'm the only one who is through book five and everyone else is at various stages between the five books, so sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of who has read what or where certain things have taken place. I try to be careful and look stuff up, but I just wanted to apologize in case I have made some mistakes.

Last edited by eloramoon on Mon May 21, 2012 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DARTH VADER IS LUKE'S FATHER.

Oh, someone was talking about spoilers? Oops. Sorry!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2012 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
By the way, I just have to say in retrospect I hope I have never spoiled anything for either of you. Among all my friends and family reading the series, I'm the only one who is through book five and everyone else is at various stages between the five books, so sometimes I have a hard time keeping track of who has read what or where certain things have taken place. I try to be careful and look stuff up, but I just wanted to apologize in case I have made some mistakes.

Nah, don't worry, Julia. You and Paul did very well when it comes to possible spoilers
I'm more afraid to spoil myself somewhere else on the internet - as I already did on some parts of the GoT saga, unfortunately - and that's why I'm trying to get through the books quickly.

As for the latest episode, I thought it was a pretty good one, even though there wasn't much happening and going on really. There were some pretty good scene with Tyrion/Varys and Tyrion/Bronn. I love Bronn and his big mouth and I sure enjoyed Tyrion & Varys mocking Joffrey behind his back

Oh, and Brienne & Jaime!!! <3<3<3
Once again I'm surprised though at how fast they're speeding through this second book. The Brienne/Jaime stuff doesn't even happen until book three and I'm now halfway through the third book and this is just where Stannis appoints Davos to be his Hand.

Is it just me though or is Dany's whole storyline kinda dragging, boring and a bit dull in S2? I didn't enjoy it in the book as well, but on the show it's even worse, imo. I was hoping we would finally get to see her

Spoiler:

in the House of the Undying

but it looks like they'll save it for the big finale.

Speaking of which:
It's Blackwater time next week. OMG yay!!!!
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2012 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yay! Glad to hear we've been good with spoilers, Karolina!

Sunday's episode was good. I felt like there were more scenes out of the book, or variations of scenes in the book, so I was happy about that. I still can't believe we're already to Jaime and Brienne. So awesome! I don't mind them jumping ahead on that storyline because they are so much fun.

I really thought Talisa would turn out to be Jeyne Westerling, but I guess not. I liked that we got some context to their relationship since we get to see it, unlike in the books, but I don't see why they changed it so much. It seems to me they could have stuck with her storyline from the books and just had it play out on-screen instead of off. It was fun to see him so angry at Cat.

I adored all the Tyrion/Bronn, Tyrion/Varys scenes. I am confused about why they didn't bring up the chain, because that was pretty critical to how they won the battle. =\

I haaaate what they've done with Arya's storyline. I can't believe how badly they've trampled on her character. They took what was a pretty epic scene from the books
Spoiler:

using Jaqen as her third name to force him to release all of Robb's men, and then escape by killing guards herself

and just made it stupid. I can't believe they had her just walk out the Harrenhal gate. It seemed pretty implausible, too.

I don't like what they've done with Dany, either. Her storyline has been so boring and uneventful. They've dragged out the "mother of dragons" thing ad nauseum, and now she just seems like a sniveling spoiled princess. Yuck.

What I hated most of all, though, is that Osha/Hodor/Bran/Rickon are hiding in Winterfell now while Theon is still there. That was so stupid and implausible. There is just no way in heck they would have done that. It makes no sense and there's no way they would have gotten away with it. Plus, it was lame to have Osha sneaking out in broad daylight to steal food. Why would she do that? Ugh.

Some of the episode was really good, but some they really dropped the ball on.

Can't wait 'til next week, though!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I still can't believe we're already to Jaime and Brienne. So awesome! I don't mind them jumping ahead on that storyline because they are so much fun

Oh yeah, absolutely!!! Jaime & Brienne are without any doubt one of my favourite aspects of the third book. Their moments are so good!

Quote:
I really thought Talisa would turn out to be Jeyne Westerling, but I guess not. I liked that we got some context to their relationship since we get to see it, unlike in the books, but I don't see why they changed it so much. It seems to me they could have stuck with her storyline from the books and just had it play out on-screen instead of off.

I agree, but I don't really mind the way they changed Robb's lovestory
I like the way how Robb falls in love with a girl who is highborn but so much unlike many other highborn girls. Talisha is very down-to-earth, she is used to working hard and isn't afraid to face the horrors of war. It suits Robb very well to fall in love with a girl like her.

Also (with regards to our SanSan obsession)

Spoiler:

it will make it easier for Robb to accept Sansa and Sandor being together (since he has chosen a girl himself that doesn't quite meet the usual "standards" of what highborn relationships should look like)

Well.... someday.... hopefully....

Quote:
It was fun to see him so angry at Cat.

I liked that, too!
I never understood why - in the books - Robb would accept Cat's acting just like that. Then again though he's so much younger and so much more of a boy still in the books, much more than he is on the show. (However, the way the "Show-Robb" said "I don't want to marry the Frey girl" reminded me so much of a sulky little boy )

Quote:
I can't believe they had her just walk out the Harrenhal gate.

That's not the only thing that bothered me about Arya's storyline. I was all like

Spoiler:

WHERE is Jaqen's transformation? Where is Valar Morghulis????

They can't just skip that part!!! It was such a powerful and surprising moment in the book!!
If they won't show that scene on the show, I guess it'll mean that Jaqen won't play a significant role anymore in the books... which would be just said because I was so hoping for an explanation on who or what he is

Quote:
I don't like what they've done with Dany, either. Her storyline has been so boring and uneventful. They've dragged out the "mother of dragons" thing ad nauseum, and now she just seems like a sniveling spoiled princess. Yuck.

I know
It's such a shame because Dany was one of my favourites in S1 and in S2 she's mostly been rather annoying

Quote:
What I hated most of all, though, is that Osha/Hodor/Bran/Rickon are hiding in Winterfell now while Theon is still there. That was so stupid and implausible. There is just no way in heck they would have done that. It makes no sense and there's no way they would have gotten away with it. Plus, it was lame to have Osha sneaking out in broad daylight to steal food. Why would she do that? Ugh.

It also takes away all the shock and horror they got in the books

Spoiler:

when they returned to Winterfell after Theon and his men had been attacked... only to find it destroyed and to see all the dead people like poor Maester Luwin

Quote:
Can't wait 'til next week, though!

Eeeee!!! Blackwater!!! I can't wait!!!

Have you seen the promo? It looks so amazing!!! There are also plenty short glimpses at Sansa in the castle and Sandor during the battle. There's one tiny moment where you can see him during the battle, all confused and scared. I guess that might be the moment where

Spoiler:

the fires explode all around the city

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty disappointed in the last episode to be honest. I mean.. as was the case with Lost, an average episode of GOT is always 10 times better than any other show for me, so it's all good. Beginning and middle of a season you can get away with filler episodes, but not towards the end of the season. I liked all the scenes but nothing much happened really.

I love Jaime/Brienne. Can't get enough of those two in the book so it was great to get to that point in the story so fast.

Rattleshirt looked pretty damn amazing.

Tyrion with Bronn or Varys is basically my favourite thing ever so that was awesome.

As you guys have said they are really stalling on Dany. Get on with it already, sheesh.

Liked how they handled the Arya stuff although it was nowhere near as epic as in the books. By the way..

spoiler for book 2:

Spoiler:

In the summary for episode 10 it says something along the lines of Arya receives a gift from someone. Hmm wonder who that could be And the title? VALAR MORGHULIS. So I think we haven't seen the last of Jaquen.

I'm going away tomorrow for a week or so. Really hoping they have internet there else I'll miss Blackwater
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
By the way..

spoiler for book 2:

Spoiler:

In the summary for episode 10 it says something along the lines of Arya receives a gift from someone. Hmm wonder who that could be And the title? VALAR MORGHULIS. So I think we haven't seen the last of Jaquen.

Phew!!! I'm SO relieved now!! That's great news. I was REALLY worried they would deprive of from this fantastic and magic moment!

Quote:
I'm going away tomorrow for a week or so. Really hoping they have internet there else I'll miss Blackwater

Oh noes! Hope you'll have a chance to see it! Are you going on a holiday?

I may not be able to watch it and discuss it here before Tuesday as well. Monday is a holiday here in Germany and I'm going to visit some friends from Saturday til Monday. I will watch it on Tuesday at the latest though. So looking forward to this episode!!!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I'm going to the coast on holiday. Be back next friday. Hopefully there will be a form of internet even if it's really slow then I can still chat to you guys too.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2012 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, YAY!!! Thanks for pointing that out about the episode title/summary. Phew!

I hope you both have a nice holiday!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Julia
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book 3 update (Jaime & Brienne):

Spoiler:

Eeeeee!!!
Jaime went back to Harrenhal to rescue Brienne!!! <3<3<3
I love these two more and more!! They're my favourite ship after Sansa/Sandor (even though they're not really a ship, just like Sansa/Sandor). Awwww!!!

Concerning Jon (also Book 3):

Spoiler:

Ok, so ummm, I'm a bit confused:
So this Ned boy who is with the brotherhood told Arya that he knew Jon and Jon's mother... I'm confused though: WHO exactly is supposed to be Jon's mother now? The wet nurse, Wylla, or this Lady Ashara, the one who committed suicide when she couldn't be with Ned Stark??

To be honest though, I don't really believe that any of these ladies is Jon's mother. There must be more to his story, imo, than Jon being the "result" of some short love affair of Ned's. I can't quite point my finger at it, but I think that Jon must have more of an epic background story, you know.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:

Concerning Jon (also Book 3):

Spoiler:

Ok, so ummm, I'm a bit confused:
So this Ned boy who is with the brotherhood told Arya that he knew Jon and Jon's mother... I'm confused though: WHO exactly is supposed to be Jon's mother now? The wet nurse, Wylla, or this Lady Ashara, the one who committed suicide when she couldn't be with Ned Stark??

To be honest though, I don't really believe that any of these ladies is Jon's mother. There must be more to his story, imo, than Jon being the "result" of some short love affair of Ned's. I can't quite point my finger at it, but I think that Jon must have more of an epic background story, you know.

Spoiler:

I'm pretty confused about the whole Jon's mother thing too, but I think it's intentional. A good rule of thumb while reading the books seems to be take a pinch of salt with everything that people say pretty much lol

Oh by the way I loved that Jaime went back to rescue her too There's something really poignant between them. Hopefully they can translate it to the show.

woo! I have internet. It's pretty damn slow, not dial up slow, but slow. Still just about bearable to download game of thrones in hd on monday.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theorizing about Jon's mother is one of my favorite pastimes! LOL!

There are some pretty amazing theories out there. I definitely do not believe that Jon's mother was simply some fisherman's daughter (Wylla).

I don't even believe that Ned was Jon's father.

But I DO believe he is a Stark...

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sooooo, have you two seen Blackwater yet?

JUST HOW AMAZING WAS THIS EPISODE????

I LOVED IT!!! I don't even know where to begin!!!

The Hound pretty much owned this ep ("F*** the King!" ), but Cersei, Sansa and Tyrion were amazing, too. Not sure what to make of the SanSan scene, but all those scenes of Sandor's made me very happy I totally would have fled from King's Landing with him!

Cersei was pretty good in this ep, too. All the bitterness, all the jealousy, all the alcohol... Lena Headey did such a fantastic job! For a second I really believed she was going to kill poor lil' Tommen, but thank God she didn't!

Tyrion.... Halfman! Halfman!!! Haha, it's such a relief to know

Spoiler:

that he isn't going to die! All the people who don't read the books are probably freaking out right now

The scene with Bronn & Sandor wasn't in the book, but it was a great moment... a bit late and a bit pointless since Bronn & Sandor may not ever have a scene together again, but it was a good moment.

And, wow, this episode was even more gory than I thought it would be. There were some pretty nasty scenes, eww!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 8 of 11

Jump to: