Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Missing Pieces" by Jemmz
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:07 pm    Post subject: "Missing Pieces" by Jemmz Reply with quote

***Automated Message***
"Missing Pieces" 05-27-2010
May 2010 contest submission. A video of all the missing pieces of Charlies life before the crash. Based on a few theories that I will elaborate on in the comments
Song: The Last Man by Clint Mansell
Vidder: Jemmz
Length: 5:56 (47.3MB wmv)

Link(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-v0TYkLvv_s
http://www.sendspace.com/file/yf6d61

Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This vid is based on a few theories I would have liked to see including the theory that Charlie and Liam's mother died, Charlie is Penny's half-brother, and touching on the theory that Charlie literally went "Through The Looking Glass" when he died

FURTHER EXPLANATIONS - MY INTERPRETATIONS
Do not read this if you don't want to be spoiled for the video. It's your choice but if you want to read this afterwards so you don't ruin any surprises that might be a good idea! However, if you're not bothered it doesn't really matter =)

Spoiler:

1) Charlie's parents, Megan and Simon, argue about him as Simon discovers that Charlie is not his biological son. Although Simon loves his boys, he is ashamed by their musical ambitions and, still heartbroken, leaves them behind, losing contact with them completely. Due to Charlie's dream in S2, I assumed this happened at Christmas and the reason that Simon was cutting off doll heads was because Megan wanted to send Christmas presents to Charlie's half-sister, Penny. However, I could not illustrate that in the vid :S

I also assumed that, after Simon left, Megan's health began to decline and Charlie devoted his time to looking after her.

2) In my view, Liam and Megan never got on. He loved her, but grew tired of her and became annoyed at her favouritism towards Charlie. I showed this very briefly in the video but it's not entirely clear. When Megan died, Liam felt horribly guilty that he never made it up to her.

3) I think it was pretty obvious that Megan died some time in Charlie's past and that is why Karen named her and Liam's daughter after her in her memory. I also think it's inevitable that Charlie's family issues stemmed partly from Megan's death - he felt so responsible that he needed to take care of people to make up for his mistake with his mother, and then always took it to heart when he failed again.

4) I HAD to include Jacob in there somewhere. How could I miss that out? This is another theory I had - Jacob chose Charlie to be a Candidate because he was impressed at how much Charlie cared for his mum and wanted to take care of her. After she died, it seemed like the perfect time to appoint him as a Candidate to take care of the island and doom him to that fateful flight from Sydney to LA.

5) I always liked the Penny/Charlie sibling idea so I decided to create that here. I also think it's rather fitting that Penny's father is called CHARLES Don't ask why Charles is so nice to Charlie here - perhaps he feels guilty, lol. But Charlie doesn't care until he finds out the Widmores are all the family he has left.

6) The way I see it, Liam always knew deep down that Charlie was only his half-sibling so doesn't show too much concern over it. He is more concerned about his brother's health and isn't interested at all in helping Charlie find Penny.

7) Lastly, I touched very lightly on the theory that Charlie literally went "Through The Looking Glass" when he drowned, transporting his consciousness in to another world or reality. There's not too much detail on this as I mainly wanted to focus on the missing pieces of his past before the island.

I think the rest is pretty self-explanatory but if you have any questions feel free to ask! Hope you enjoy/ed!
Also, if anyone's interested, I started a fanfic about Charlie's missing flashbacks AGES ago. I think it might be time to update soon now!
Can be found here: http://www.fanfiction.net/s/3763779/1... (I've now changed the title to "Missing Pieces".)

Yeah I wrote an essay, sorry
Wickedgal
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this was wonderful Jemma! A real delight to watch and it was based on a few theories I'd personally have loved to have seen this AU was perfectly put together and the voice over choices were amazing! Well done!

Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much, Amy! A lot of work sure went in to this so it's really wonderful to hear that you liked it! *huggles!* And I'm happy you liked the theories I included too!
Lost-majs
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's like... One of the best AUs I've ever seen Seriously, that was perfect! I've always wanted to get another Charlie episode, so we could get everything about his passed solved, and this was so great to see Such a tragic story, and the music made it even more.
Perfect voiceovers! I can't even name my fave AU scene cause they were all so great- Maybe the start with their dad leaving. Or when Charlie figures out that Penny is his sister. Or maybe.... Well, honestly I've got no fave, i just love the whole thing so much, lol I usually get bored when I watch such a long video, but this kept me interested all the way An awesome video in every way
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aww, Maja, seriously? Thank you so much!! I so wish we had got another Charlie centric eppy, there was so much stuff left open that they could have shown us. But that's exactly what I was trying to show here! There's so much more stuff I couldn't include in the vid but I tried to write most of it down in the description of the first comment I'm so glad you like the manips, thanks so much again ^_^ *huggles!*
J.D
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Missing Pieces by Jemmz Reply with quote

Wow that was bloody amazing
I'm not really fan of AU's and thats one of the best I've ever seen All really emotional and I could actually now imagine all that as part of Charlie's backstory I especially liked Jacob turning up at the funeral and Widmore being Charlie's dad and Penny his sister. All the voice overs and everything were really good too
Just fantastic
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thank you, your comment really made me smile! I'm so glad this impressed you and I'm really happy that you can accept all this as what really could have happened on the show!! Thanks so much for your comment
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was complex and such a good idea! Wonderful work Jemma and yay for using the fight from Gia in the beginning! That worked perfectly!!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Nikki!! And yeah, Kat sent me that Gia scene, so glad it worked!
blackwolf1480
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:46 am    Post subject: Missing Pieces by Jemmz Reply with quote

That was amazing! I read your full description. The ending was a nice twist
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you! <3
Emmabtvs
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Missing Pieces by Jemmz Reply with quote

wow truly amazing, must of taken you ages, well done
Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe, yeah it took me most of the month! I tried working on it almost everyday but I finally managed to get it done Thanks so much!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 3:47 am    Post subject: Missing Pieces by Jemmz Reply with quote

Holy carp, Jemma! That was incredible!!! To me your intentions with the story were all very clear, but I read your further thoughts/interpretation anyway to make sure I got it. You put a ton of thought into it and it all came through really well! You did an amazing job--to the point that I couldn't tell were Lost clips ended and others began. Awesome job!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: