Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

6x11 - Happily Ever After
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote
They seem to be saying that these people will end up together no matter what they do though. As much as I love Daniel and Charlotte who's to say they are a one true love pairing.. from what we have seen it is mostly an infatuation on Daniel's part yet they seem to be fated to meet each other in the alternate universe. It just seems like they are mirroring the relationships that have happened on the island and it comes across as cheesy to me so I'm hoping it is not the final message of the show. I can buy it for a Des and Penny but not for every relationship on the show of any substance.[/quote]

I think there are some people who are just destined to be with someone? And maybe they are hinting at the idea that 'there is one for everyone', but it's not the grand scheme of the show, just something they're throwing in?

I think these are the same people, just their lives are a tad bit different. That's my take on it. SOme aspects of their lives are different, some aspects of themselves are different, but they're a tiny piece of the others on the island. If that makes sense.

I think it might be a word of the show, not the entire message. Best analogy I have for it.

I hope your right about the Desmond/Charlie thing. Him putting his hand on the glass was just awkward to me.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlies_Innocence wrote:
I FREAKED OUT when Charlie started talking about the woman in handcuffs. Almost had a heart attack thinking he was saying he was in love with Kate.

You're not the only one. For a second or two, I was all... Wait, what the hell?

True love subplots tend to bore me when it comes to this show (although I buy DesPenny more than some others); I would have liked to see at least some variation on the motivations of Charlie, Desmond, and Daniel. Desmond is always entertaining though. And hooray for Sayid seeming to snap back into action (to some extent.)

Brooke: In most cases, I can agree with the 'same people' explanation, but (and I hate to bring up Recon again, since everyone knows I couldn't stand it), Sawyer was so different in his episode (yes, I know, not a squeaky-clean cop, still going to find Ur-Sawyer, etc. etc.), that it still nags at me. Maybe it's due to my dissatisfaction with how the character's progressed the past few seasons, as opposed to anything Recon did in particular, but X-Sawyer did not seem like Island-Sawyer to me, so that monkey-wrenches it a little in my book.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
Charlies_Innocence wrote:
I FREAKED OUT when Charlie started talking about the woman in handcuffs. Almost had a heart attack thinking he was saying he was in love with Kate.

You're not the only one. For a second or two, I was all... Wait, what the hell?

True love subplots tend to bore me when it comes to this show (although I buy DesPenny more than some others); I would have liked to see at least some variation on the motivations of Charlie, Desmond, and Daniel. Desmond is always entertaining though. And hooray for Sayid seeming to snap back into action (to some extent.)

Brooke: In most cases, I can agree with the 'same people' explanation, but (and I hate to bring up Recon again, since everyone knows I couldn't stand it), Sawyer was so different in his episode (yes, I know, not a squeaky-clean cop, still going to find Ur-Sawyer, etc. etc.), that it still nags at me. Maybe it's due to my dissatisfaction with how the character's progressed the past few seasons, as opposed to anything Recon did in particular, but X-Sawyer did not seem like Island-Sawyer to me, so that monkey-wrenches it a little in my book.

Sawyer was. I guess I missed that because I tried to forget all about Recon episode. I felt it was the weakest of the season and series.

I think the episode was just odd, Sawyer holding Kate's dress...A lot of unneeded allusions back to season 3. I kind of felt that Sawyer wasn't Sawyer. His reactions to Kate wasn't "I know this person" or any other person from Sawyer's past. Miles and Charlotte. His reaction to Kate was "The girl I allowed to run free from the airport". Everyone else seems to have this connection expect him.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to take into account that his past is vastly different. He hasn't been carrying round as much baggage as he was in the regular timeline. He's still the same guy but with a different past. It seems like people need sawyer or I should say James to be snarky all the time or throwing out nicknames or else he isn't the same guy. I just see the character as a lot deeper than that.

They were always going to revisit the cages being on Hydra Island and that seemed like the best way to do it from his perspective.

By the way I thought Charlie meant Kate at first too hehe I was like heh I would fall in love with Kate too if I saw her
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
You have to take into account that his past is vastly different. He hasn't been carrying round as much baggage as he was in the regular timeline. He's still the same guy but with a different past. It seems like people need sawyer or I should say James to be snarky all the time or throwing out nicknames or else he isn't the same guy. I just see the character as a lot deeper than that.

They were always going to revisit the cages being on Hydra Island and that seemed like the best way to do it from his perspective.

By the way I thought Charlie meant Kate at first too hehe I was like heh I would fall in love with Kate too if I saw her

Yeah. I forgot about that, his life was different.

I think that's why people didn't like Sawyer in season 5 because he was actually developing. Which is what the show is about. He was growing up, and becoming JAMES again rather than 'Sawyer'. People want him to be the 'ass'. And I think it was about time he changed.

Something I do find funny is he's really intelligent, reads ALL the time, yet he loves to say words that dumb him down a bit. LOL.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brooke: Weakest of the series? Oh, how soon we forget The Hunting Party and Exposé! Good to know I'm not alone in my corner of scorn here, though.

Paul: Nonetheless, just because the past is (presumably) different, it's not that different. His parents were still killed. He still intends to find Ur-Sawyer (aka Anthony Cooper, or whoever he is in the X-Timeline). If that's the case, then he should still be edgier and shiftier than he was in his episode, judging from what we saw of Sawyer through the prior seasons.

I don't need nicknames and constant smart-aleck remarks, but I don't need him to be a neutered, semi-spineless waste of space, either, which is what he seemed to be in the X-Timeline (and what I think he tended towards in the last couple seasons.) It feels more like fanservice than character evolution to me, and that bugs me.
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
Brooke: Weakest of the series? Oh, how soon we forget The Hunting Party and Exposé! Good to know I'm not alone in my corner of scorn here, though.

Paul: Nonetheless, just because the past is (presumably) different, it's not that different. His parents were still killed. He still intends to find Ur-Sawyer (aka Anthony Cooper, or whoever he is in the X-Timeline). If that's the case, then he should still be edgier and shiftier than he was in his episode, judging from what we saw of Sawyer through the prior seasons.

I don't need nicknames and constant smart-aleck remarks, but I don't need him to be a neutered, semi-spineless waste of space, either, which is what he seemed to be in the X-Timeline (and what I think he tended towards in the last couple seasons.) It feels more like fanservice than character evolution to me, and that bugs me.

I actually liked those two episodes more than I did Recon. I thought Nikki's flashfowards were awful, but on the island scenes had a lot of good acting. So it didn't bother me, I also thought their death was fascinating since they weren't dead.

The Hunting Party. I enjoyed Plus the confrontation between the Others/Losties was pretty awesome.

I don't think it was a fanservice because most people were pissed that he was actually being developed. He was a guy in a relationship, of course he's going to be different in three years, and they conveyed that very well. He was the same guy, just more tame. I don't think he needs to be the angry ass all the time. They needed to make him grow up sometime.

I think Sawyer VS Jimmy James had more to live for. More rational.
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He hasn't spent his whole life conning people though and is on the straight and narrow. People say he's a bent cop cause he let Kate go but I think that has more to do with him remembering her from on the island in his gut and giving her a pass. As for killing Cooper.. he chose to tell Miles about it which was a huge step for him and I reckon he won't actually go through with it now he's managed to get it out in the open. I don't think it is much a big deal to him in this timeline. He hasn't been carrying that letter he wrote as a kid just a dumb folder.

As for season 5 you know there is the small matter of three years development that we sadly never saw. Oh Oceanic 6 why did you have to take over seasons 4 and 5
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
He hasn't spent his whole life conning people though and is on the straight and narrow. People say he's a bent cop cause he let Kate go but I think that has more to do with him remembering her from on the island in his gut and giving her a pass. As for killing Cooper.. he chose to tell Miles about it which was a huge step for him and I reckon he won't actually go through with it now he's managed to get it out in the open. I don't think it is much a big deal to him in this timeline. He hasn't been carrying that letter he wrote as a kid just a dumb folder.

As for season 5 you know there is the small matter of three years development that we sadly never saw. Oh Oceanic 6 why did you have to take over seasons 4 and 5

It should have been the telling of both stories. But I think they wanted to keep the lid on what happens to the people left on the island. Which kind of sucks.

With season 5 season 5 was great UNTIL the Oceanic 6 showed up for me. It got really slow and boring. I wish it took longer for them to get back to the island so that we could have seen more of what happened with the people on the island.
Athena Alexandria
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
People say he's a bent cop cause he let Kate go but I think that has more to do with him remembering her from on the island in his gut and giving her a pass.

That's actually an interesting point, Paul. I hadn't thought of it that way but it makes sense that he would want to see her go free.
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, so i mega-squeed when i saw Jeremy Davies and Doms names come up at the start

Poor Des; getting beat up after being shot - but he's a tough cookie!!

Damn i love alan Dale he's so epic!

OMG that charlie scene in the bar!! That's why he wants to die; he wants to get back to Claire!! to true love!! my heart was racing throughout that scene; gives me hope that they'll cross paths at some point before the end of season And I too thought when he said the 'woman in handcuffs' he's start talking about kate, my heart actually dropped, but thank god that didnt happen

gah, the "not penny's boat' moment - one of the highlights of the season for me so far!!! I gasped! i didn't find it awkward, i saw it as Charlie in that moment remembering; and showing poitning out to des that he remembered.

I was hoping Claire and Charlie would meet at the hospital!!!! Damn I had this theory everyone would meet at the hospiatl at the end or something.

Eloise knows all she's so cool:)

Dan! Dan! Dan!! Never thought i'd be excited to see him

i loved all the connections with the real life and the AU lives. I've been waiting 11 episodes for something like this

My fave ep of the season so far!!

soapbubbles511
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Desmond.episodes.are.awesome.

I knew if there was one person who could connect the two timelines it would be Des... Des is always mixed up in all the AU shift of consciousness stories...

Eloise... Eloise definitely still knows something... something about WTF is going on... when she told Des that he'd got what he always wanted, Widmore's approval... important... don't know how exactly but it's important to why we have the FS... because that's what Des had wanted, why he was racing around the world in a boat, why he ended up on the island... he wanted Widmore's approval, for him to think he was worthy of Penny... and in the FS he had that but his life was empty without Penny

Charlie... I think when he almost died in LA X he connected with his on island universe... would explain his vision of Claire... would explain why he said he was supposed to die in LA X... and would explain why he drove the car into the water and more specifically pressed his hand against the glass like that.... his near death experience let him connect with the other universe and he was making Desmond see it too (and possible this is what happened with Jules too... as she was dying she connected with the FS... Suliet are SO getting coffee sometime in the FS)

Daniel (Widmore!) was interesting... first that without the island Eloise and Charles stayed together and raised Daniel... and that without Eloise pushing Daniel towards his destiny and the island he stuck with music and never became a physicist.. but him having a flash of his other life... and that whole conversation with Des about what if he already had set off a nuclear bomb hells yes... this FS stuff is finally getting somewhere (although I was half expecting on the other page of the journal for him to have written Desmond Hume is my Constant )

DESPENNY!!!!!!!!! they give me chills, seriously... PENNY IS HIS CONSTANT!! this episode just reinforced that tenfold... in the MRI machine and he starts having flashes of Penny... and it is no coincidence that as soon as he touched Penny's hand he fainted and on island Des woke up... she's his constant, she connects him to both timelines... and gah, did you see how happy he was in the car after meeting her
Quote:

DAN: Something familiar in both times. All this, see this is variables, it's random, it's chaotic. Every equation needs stability, something known. It's called a constant. Desmond, you have no constant. When you go to the future, nothing there is familiar. So if you want to stop this, then you need to find something there...something that you really, really care about....that also exists back here, in 1996.

DESMOND: This constant...can it be a person?

and because I totally find this relevant... and because I'm a Phile as well as a Lostie... X-Files quote time
Quote:
Mulder: "Scully, I was like you once — I didn't know who to trust. Then I... I chose another path... another life, another fate, where I found my sister. The end of my world was unrecognisable and upside down. There was one thing that remained the same. You... were my friend, and you told me the truth. Even when the world was falling apart, you were my constant... my touchstone."

and if y'all haven't noticed I'm totally geeking out over this episode

Des has the best episodes, period
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew you would love this episode, Kat!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realized pretty quickly that the chamber thingy had made Desmond go into the flashsideways - at first I was disappointed that it was gonna be a largely flashsideways episode, but then I wasn't so when it was epic I knew Charlie and Penny were gonna be in it, but I had no idea about Dan - was SO excited when the camera panned across the back of his head, I love that man like nobody's business (I know, I know, I love too many characters ) so I was like "ooh I hope they show more than that of him" then they did and I was like, yaaay I half-expected Dan to have written "if anything happens, Desmond will be my constant" in his journal I'm gonna have to take a closer look at what was written in that journal, see if it helps one thing that popped into my mind, I wonder how/when he got it? Because remember, Eloise gave him the journal when he graduated from Oxford as the youngest ever Physics student, and she gave it to him I guess because he had it on him when he died. So maybe, idk, she saw it and got deja vu? Loved the little Charladay reference - they're so cute together oh and I literally squeed (or as my friend would say, I jizzed in my pants ) when Dan said "my name is Daniel Widmore" - I wonder who Faraday is then?

One thing I've always wanted to know and want to know even more now - who the hell is Penny's mother??

Like most people have already said, I like how they're handling the love parts of the show now - they're not saying it's the most important aspect of the show, but it is a part of the message they're giving - I also think that it's a way of showing that destiny will always overcome - no matter what happens, Desmond will always find Penny, Charlie and Dan will always have strange obsessions over Claire and Charlotte (I like Charladay, but not really PB&J - Charlie always seemed like an obsessed stalker to me - I mean, damn, he wouldn't leave her alone, even when she hated him he even got jealous when Claire became friends with Locke. /end rant)

I'm hoping Desmond will try and make the other passengers remember the Island - it'll be cool if they do I can't wait to see where TPTB are going with the flashsideways - they really seem to be getting more and more important now

DJC Productions wrote:
It's awesome that we finally know what the hell these flash sideways are about. It's so cool that "Flashes Before Your Eyes" was actually a flash sideways also. This episode had so much amazing stuff in it, I can't even process right now.

Was it? I guess I'll definitely have to rewatch Flashes Before Your Eyes then

Brooke wrote:
I thought the scene of Charlie putting his hand on the glass was interesting, but awkward. I get they did it to give Desmond a ‘vision’, but I think the writers tried to hard to put a connection there, it just felt WEIRD to me. Why would a guy put his hand on the glass? I think they could have had the scene WITHOUT him putting the hand on the glass.

I think maybe Charlie, too, was remembering when he put his hand on the glass, or maybe he just got a feeling like he should - I doubt he was thinking, "oh, ok, I'm drowning, I guess I'll put my hand on the glass."
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2010 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure why Daniel and his father and his mother all have different names, Millie (except that maybe the writers didn't originally plan for him to be their son which also seems to be what happened with Miles and Pierre Chang) but 'Faraday' is a science reference like Hawking:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_Faraday

Michael Faraday had a lot to do with electromagnetism (he also discovered its effect on light as is kind of hinted in with that line where Daniel says the light 'doesn't scatter' right on the island) which is probably why the writers chose the name.

I doubt they'll ever bother to explain it beyond that.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: