Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Music/Song Choices
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Debbie
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Music/Song Choices Reply with quote

Okay so I was thinkign about this earlier while shuffling through itunes.

I seems to me like in the vidding community the same songs tend to be used ALOT. And around the same kind of style. Which is fine, cause most of the vids are very well done,but it's not really all about the vid is it?

for example..
my "I'm a Fake" video. It's FAR from a good vid, but I enjoyed I did consider it something different as it's not the kind of song/music commonly used. but I got few comments regarding the song choice (which is is also fine, it's fair comments I got).

Personally, most of the music that is used in vidding are not my style at all.
Which makes finding a song that people would like very difficult.

So I've been considering trying out making some short vids with more (how to i word this?) heavier/less mainstream music that isn't normally used.

But I'm kinda reluctant. On the other hand, I would like to do it to try and break out of my rut vidding wise and try to find my own "vidding style". The reason I'd be making them short is so I could cut out overly heavy parts of the music.

I mean, I guess there's a reason why people don't use particular music?

I've been meaning to ask for more opinions on this for a while now, I'd like to hear what you guys think on the matter, you all know I'm a newbie when it comes to vidding and I trust you guys will be able to give me some honest advice here!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always go with whatever song I feel is best, and say FU to whoever don't like it
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belle MacFarlane wrote:
I always go with whatever song I feel is best, and say FU to whoever don't like it

I suppose you are right. It's just that, people make vids for people to watch ya know?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but if you look at it from a creative point of view, I'd rather make a vid with a song that fits the vid rather than make a vid with a song that I'm only using because people like it.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yea, i dont think you should worry about song choice too much. cause theres always the first few ppl to use the song when it was rarely used, and then suddenly it becomes like a vidding trend lol long as you try to just bring something original to it, youre fine.

just vid to what you want! find your vidding style lol. i love to see vids where i dont know the song and end up loving it cause i first heard it thro that vid. the mainstream stuff can be nice for vids but its also always great to see something more obscure to an amazing vid. so yea id just say do whatever you want lol. for now i guess i am mixing it up, some vids im working on are more mainstream songs, cause i feel they fit, and then some others are songs i really havent seen vidded. but i couldnt see myself just vidding to any song, mainstream or not, if i didnt have muse for it haha. yea so long as you have the inspiration to vid the song, mainstream or not, i think itll work out fine
HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't really judge a vid based on what song is used. For example, I'm not a fan of Sarah McLachlan but I've seen some beautiful vids using her music! So I say go with whatever song you feel would work/would be fun to vid with and don't worry if people like the song! If your vid is well done, then people will still like it regardless of song choice.

art by me&tammy
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is one band I won't mention that I cannot stand that are frequently used for vidding and to be honest I do avoid these videos it's like chalk on the chalkboard when I listen to them lol Pretty much everyone else I don't mind though.

I agree with Belle though in that if you're happy with it that's all the matters.. the bonus is if other people like it too.
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always just pick whatever song fits. Sometimes it shocks me But it fits and that's what the muse wants to vid with, so I go with it

SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. I don't care if it's overused or has never been used before. If I get inspired for a vid with it, I take advantage of it.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think its important to vid something that inspires you, something you're passionate about and that you love... it really does show through in vids... you're the one who has to listen to it over and over while vidding and have to be happy with the end product.... maybe using some different kinds of music will turn some people away... but as long as its well made thats really all that matters in the end

as for using heavier music, it can be done... I've seen it on occasion... I'm sure it will have its own vidding challenges... lots of beats to deal with... and with more intense beats possibly less focus on lyrics (not saying lyrics are less important... just more other stuff going on to deal with)

I always find it harder to vid something that I'm trying to force... vidding just flows out easier when its a song that you heard, love and it just screamed out to you "make a [insert couple/character/fandom] vid out of me"...

and a lot of the artists that get passed around the vidding community aren't mainstream... there are some (ok a lot of) played to death on the radio songs that get passed around the vidding community (and a good portion of these songs make me want to stab my ears, but I'll still watch for a good vid)... but I've found quite a bit of new music/artists through vids... so who knows... you could do something different and unconventional for vidding and inspire someone else, or at least add something new to someone's iPod

its always better to make something that you really want to do, something that speaks to your POV than to make something trying to play it safe and do something just because you think other people will like it better... I'd rather see a vid to a song I've never heard of but leaves me going "omg that fit so well" than to see yet another vid to the same song and left going "not sure how that fit this couple better than the 5000 other couples its been used for"

/end ridiculously long post
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone!

Yeah Sarah I totally get what you mean! thank you (:
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I would say if you feel the song and it inspires you and you want to use it then i'd say go for it At the end of the day if someone else has used the song or many people have it still doesn't mean you can't vid for it, but sometimes if you are a bit meh about wanting to use it because it's been overused then make your vid stand out to the rest
IamSoLostRightNow
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This issue actually gets brought up a lot.
It's true that more mainstream/popular songs are going to get more views and comments simply because people like that song and are enticed to click on it. That doesn't necessarily mean those videos are "better" than yours. It's all about editing and HOW you use the song.
I think the same goes for popular fandoms. You can hate the fandom *COUGHCOUGHgossipgirlonetreehillCOUGHCOUGH* but you'll definitely leave a comment if the editing is good.

I personally couldn't even imagine vidding to a song or fandom I didn't love because most vidders know that having to listen that specific song over and over and over again drives you insane.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I hear a song that I fall in love with, it inspires me to make a vid with it. Luckily it's usually a song that isn't very well known and people seem to respond better to my vid because they aren't used to hearing that song in a vid. I also like to choose songs that will challenge me as an editor to get better. But really it's all your choice. Pick a song you like, trust your instincts, and screw anybody who doesn't like it.

littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJC Productions wrote:
Pick a song you like, trust your instincts, and screw anybody who doesn't like it.

Amen ;P

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: