Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August Contest Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for answering my questions.

I'm trying to only use the slow down effect when I have to and I'm trying to make it really subtle.Hopefully it's subtle enough no one will know which clips have been slowed down.

As far as the pan and crop effect, I think I'm only going to use it to make all my clips either widescreen or fullscreen.I think a video looks more cleanly edited when all the clips are the same size.

Macaila
Fishbiscuits42
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am thinking about entering this months contest.
I was wondering if we are allowed to use instrumental versions of Michael's songs?

Stacy Lane
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome, Macaila!

And welcome, Stacy! We'd love for you to enter this month's contest! We'll confer about your question and get back to you as soon as possible!
dl15
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uruviel wrote:
OK, Erin, Rosie & Samara added to the list!

dl15, 2 vidders have already claimed Billie Jean. Please choose a different song!

Rosie, Paul is right, no coloring other than basic black & white.

No worries, may I claim Beat It, then?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fishbiscuits42 wrote:
I am thinking about entering this months contest.
I was wondering if we are allowed to use instrumental versions of Michael's songs?

Stacy Lane

Yes, you can use an instrumental version of his songs.

Adding you in, dl!
Spikefan74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to change my song if that is okay. Instead of "Unbreakable" I would like to use "Say, Say, Say".
supermander11
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I'm almost finished with my entry, but just to be sure, we can use audio (like voiceovers from lost) and text (as long as it doesn't move) right?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Changed the song for you, Spikefan!

Supermander, yes, non-moving text is fine. We'll get back to you as soon as possible about the audio.
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Ok, sorry to throw more questions on the pile! Like everyone, I just want to make sure I'm totally clear on a few things.

1) Cropping

I understand that we can't use the motion zoom, but can I change from one clip to the same clip, but cropped a little closer?

Like:

2) Can we use an edited version of the song?

3) I am still confused on the point of coloring. Must black and white clips be used sparingly? Or could we do a whole video in black and white? (Just curious...)

Thanks!
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supermander, yes, you may use audio but we suggest keeping it to as little as you absolutely need and focus more on the clip choices, lyric use, etc.

Julia, sorry I forgot to tell you yesterday that we saw your question and would be getting back to you. Anyway, we did discussed your questions!

1. Cropping. Static cropping is fine (like if you just used your second shot) but using cropping for beat use (as in going from the first shot to the second) would be considered using it for an effect and we suggest avoiding that.

2. Song editing is fine.

3. Black and white is allowed, so if you want to do the entire vid in black and white or if you want to have just one black and white clip thrown in there either would be fine.

Hope that answered your questions!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Ais!
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome!
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:

1. Cropping. Static cropping is fine (like if you just used your second shot) but using cropping for beat use (as in going from the first shot to the second) would be considered using it for an effect and we suggest avoiding that.

Could that be possibly counted as a minimal effect though like we could probably get away with it occasionally? I already have used it in the video project. Using a heavy beat song it's hard to just cut to another scene for beat use because it would make it look messy :/

edit: Also can I point out some of my shots may look like they've been cropped in to the beat but it's just another scene later down the line. I'll try my best not to to do it at all.

I bet you guys never thought it would be this confusing Look at it this way though once we have the second version of this contest down the line we'll know exactly what's required.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

edit: just saw we can't use a lot of audio now? How is that an effect? :s Surely effects are mainly visual effects or audio effects where you add an echo sound to the audio or something. I don't really understand how cropping to the beat is an effect either. I mean you get that happening in the show itself not to the beat but it cutting in so you could technically use it from the show which I have done without using the pan/crop tool at alll.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, to quote Ais:

Aislynn wrote:
yes, you may use audio but we suggest keeping it to as little as you absolutely need and focus more on the clip choices, lyric use, etc.

So if you want use audio, go right ahead. Keep in mind the point of this contest is "Back to Basics" and audio is not considered a "basic" in vidding.

PolarBear wrote:
Could that be possibly counted as a minimal effect though like we could probably get away with it occasionally? I already have used it in the video project. Using a heavy beat song it's hard to just cut to another scene for beat use because it would make it look messy :/

To repeat what is said in the rules:

Quote:
If you're not sure whether an effect is ok to use or not, then don't use it. The focus of this comp is the story with limited, basic effects.

Use your own judgement. If you feel what you've done helps your video and doesn't look like a major effect, go with it. It's up to you to make your video special AND fit for this contest.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: