Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What do you think is better? (Effort vs Easy Art)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is better?
A video with little to no concept/story, which is decently edited to the beat of a random song (which doesn't really fit or enhance the clips at all, but is really cool), with interesting coloring, a texture, and random effects plugged in.
8%
 8%  [ 1 ]
A video with a well thought out concept/story, which is well edited, and uses coloring and effects only as necessary, and does not have a texture, border, etc.
91%
 91%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 12

eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:42 pm    Post subject: What do you think is better? (Effort vs Easy Art) Reply with quote

Just curious...

I see a lot of fan videos elsewhere on the internet that seem to get a lot of praise even though they're really just a bunch of random clips thrown together, edited to the beat, with use of a texture and coloring. Often the song is irrelevant to the action, there is no theme/concept/story at all, and the effects are random and don't make that much sense. Or, the story has to be explained in a six paragraph dissertation, without which the story would be totally indiscernable.

I think texture, beat use, coloring, and effects are all awesome, too... but I don't think those things alone should be the hallmark of a highly praised video. Yet, just five minutes on YouTube will show you thousands of videos that were (often admittedly) thrown together in a matter of minutes, with no purpose whatsoever, yet ends up very highly praised because of the presence of things like texture, coloring, beat use, etc.

So, what do you think?

Do you think that effects and beat use are more important than concept/effort? Would you rather see a texture than a story? Would you rather see a lot of beat use and effects than clips that are edited together with a purpose in mind, but make only necessary use of things like coloring, effects, etc. (and maybe has no texture at all).

I'm very curious to know what people think on this subject!

(((HUGS)))
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always think that a video should fill the entire screen and that most textures are meant for static art so yeah I am against textures and borders *cue hate lol* I like gradients though they usually look cool over a video.

I'm all about story and concept than colouring and even beat use. They should be the cherry on top of the cake
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh concept is so much more important....

as more and more people get better vidding programs I see more and more vids that are nothing but pretty effects... sure the effects are executed smoothly and look cool but there's very little emotion to the vid... or even if the scene choices are good they're so lost in all the effects....

textures aren't necessarily bad... neither are effects... I love using texture to capture the mood of the vid... playing with coloring until it fits the mood of the song... but effects should enhance a vid, not be the vid... there should be something worth saying underneath all the effects not just a song chosen because it has a lot of opportunity for beat use that only kinda fits the couple and then the clip choices don't add anything....
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just let me clarify that I can watch a video and not be bothered at all by the border or texture. When the video is really good it grips you in and you love it despite what you like or don't like about how it looks. And textures can look cool it's just the 'dirt on the windscreen' effect that puts me off which happens with a lot of them.

I really don't have much of an eye for art maybe that's why I don't put so much thought into it. To me using just the color corrector or color balance tools on their own can look cool rather than having to use mulitple instances of color curves, color corrector then color curves and maybe a texture on top it's too confusing for me
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you know my thoughts on this. All I need is a good storyline and I'm pulled in. I tend to get bored with videos that are all beat and texture/effects but no storyline. Even in vids with a storyline...if there are too many effects I tend to get distracted.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That makes sense, absolutely!

I'm a coloring fanatic... I absolutely adore good coloring (I'm just not good at doing it myself). I am kind of on the fence with textures... nine out of ten times I like the way they look, or I feel it lends an interesting look to the video, but I understand what you mean about the "dirt on the windscreen" look. I really notice it when I'm trying to employ a texture myself.

For me, I actually really like textures, borders, coloring... all of that. It just bothers me a *lot* when a video is popular just because of those things, when underneath it all there's nothing there but randomly strung together clips. I see that so often on YouTube.

Conversely, it bothers me when I see videos that are really interesting... which have a cool story, interesting concept, really match the song well, or at least has a purpose... but then don't have a texture, border, and an effect on every single clip, and as a result are either largely ignored or are even called boring or told they should have used a more popular song, or used more effects or a texture.

I'm just really interested in understanding what makes a good video, not only in theory but in actual practice.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Conversely, it bothers me when I see videos that are really interesting... which have a cool story, interesting concept, really match the song well, or at least has a purpose... but then don't have a texture, border, and an effect on every single clip, and as a result are either largely ignored or are even called boring or told they should have used a more popular song, or used more effects or a texture.

yeah that really pisse me off!

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
soapbubbles511
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IA about the textures that just make it look dirty... it just makes the vid harder to see and almost never adds anything... textures are nice as long as they're not overpowering... a lot of times I use dodge rather than overlay or multiply and then even blur the texture so its really subtle..

and also agree about good vids being overlooked because they don't use all sorts of fancy effects... there's so much more to vidding than effects...
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah I don't mind subtle texture. I think the texture on Kat's vids always looks nice.

Charlies_Innocence
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do enjoy it when vids include borders/textures, and beat use and all that, but I agree that it should be on a vid that have a clear concept to go along with it. Textures can really add to a vid, I think, but only if they're used correctly, you know what I mean? I just think it's fun to play with coloring and effects, just to see what fits with the story you're trying to tell.

icon by becca
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think for me, that's the hardest thing... is trying to find a balance between what really works with the song-- what is complimentary, versus just throwing a bunch of stuff in to make it pretty when there's nothing else going on. My favorite vids (like so many here) are the ones that have a purpose on top of looking really pretty.

I am doing a sort of experimental practice vid for a friend right now for another show, just to try out some things and see what works. I'm trying to emulate (not rip-off) things that I see in other vids, to learn how to do different techniques, see what works, what doesn't... and what I'm finding is that it's a really thin line between throwing in an effect just to throw it in there, and throwing it in because it makes sense.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a newbie, I have to say It's easy to get sucked into the whole "cool effects" thing, my first couple of vids were really messing about to see what i can actuall do with the programme, but I found that my 3rd video was a bigger accomplishment and alot more fun to put together because I had a story to go with.

So I really have to say that it's the story that's important, and I think that when you have a vidder who can tell a fantastic story, that's where talent truley lies.

I think the same applies to fan art aswel,I see so many pieces of fan art (even outside of the LOST fandom) that have everything lightened to the max, or just one photograph with a colouring done to it or a desaturation and people think it's awesome. When theres really been very little effort into the placement of the picture(s) the general colour theme, what feel your looking for in the art, what mood your looking to show etc. IMO every piece of art needs to be unique and I think that this should also apply to videos, anyone can do the colour, not everyone can add that little somehing to it that's needed to make a good, quality video.
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love concepts and story of course; i think 95% of my vids are story driven. However I don't think I've seen that many vids that don't have a concept of sorts. Even just-Jate videos with no story still have a concept, to me at least, of showing the connection between the characters. I'm with Debbie on her point, when you have a vidder who can tell a fantastic story, that is where the talent is. To me; if they can do that and kick ass with effects, like with Jo's latest vid, that's just epic vidding at its core.

But I also highly appreciate crazy effects and beat because I know how tough it is to get right I also don't think textures means a hell of a lot; its possibly the easiest Vegas effect there is lol But thank you Nik! I'm glad you like mine

eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the input, everyone!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To me; if they can do that and kick ass with effects, like with Jo's latest vid, that's just epic vidding at its core.

yeah most definitely there was nothing wrong with the beat/effects in Jo's vid! I think there is a big difference between vids that use effects to further the story and ones that just throw crazy transitions and randomness into the vid and then it just looks all crazy and has no point to the story.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: