Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No More Rapidshare or Megaupload!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: No More Rapidshare or Megaupload! Reply with quote

All members please read and respond here.

This is our final word out here to scour the site from these pesky hosters
If you check the Hosting Guide: http://www.lostvideo.net/hosting_guide.php
we are no longer accepting any videos submitted with these services into voting. This is because they slow down the voting process extremelly. Rapidshare doesn't allow more than one download an hour, and Megaupload is far too slow to handle these vids (one Megabyte takes about 5 minutes sometimes!)
So from this point onward, any video sent in using these services will NOT be eligible for a Council Pick Seal, which is our form of award to the great videos out there, and is used to bring attention to the best videos on the site. I know not all of you like us voting on the videos anyway, but we don't want to see any videos ineligible to win an award on LVI just because they don't cooperate with something as simple as this.
So please, when you're uploading your video for the first time, don't use these. Once the video is posted to the site and a topic is formed in the forums for it, then you can use both all you want (in fact, we encourage you to, as they're good hosters otherwise!). Just PLEASE don't send in your videos in the submit form using one of these services.

To make sure everyone knows we no longer accept these hosting services, could you all please post a reply to this topic after you read it. Thanks for the cooperation!

Last edited by Hobbes on Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ChicaFrom3
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I acknowledge and accept your directive...No more RS or MU for primary video links.

sig by niki blue
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd recently submitted a rapidshare link of one of my vids cause it was too big for putfile and picafile wasn't working but lostcalier changed the link to a permanent one I had now. I'll make sure if its too big I'll try and get a permanent link on my own or friends webspace in the future. Any chance you could host the odd vids that are too big or we are having problems uploading. What's the rules on you putting vids on the site's webspace?
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChicaFrom3 wrote:
I acknowledge and accept your directive...No more RS or MU for primary video links.

Exactly! You've even got the terminology down!

Quote:
I'd recently submitted a rapidshare link of one of my vids cause it was too big for putfile and picafile wasn't working but lostcalier changed the link to a permanent one I had now. I'll make sure if its too big I'll try and get a permanent link on my own or friends webspace in the future. Any chance you could host the odd vids that are too big or we are having problems uploading. What's the rules on you putting vids on the site's webspace?

Don't worry about any videos submitted so far, but don't use these two in the future if possible...
Hmmm..... well I wish we could help you with that hosting thing, but we had to give that up a while ago when the site was seriously low on bandwidth. Nonetheless, we're still halfway through our bandwidth alottment every month

My advice would be: when sending in the video, first sqush it down to under 10MB and host it with Putfile or Picafile. We will then post it to the site, and as soon as it's got its own topic, you can post a link to Rapidshare there for whatever size you want (and we can even delete the old one if you only want people to see the good version). We don't judge based on video quality, anyway (unless someone tries sending in a 4MB one, that is....) so it shouldn't change the outcome anyway.

If for some reason NO other hosting service will work (and this goes for everyone), then PM me telling me your situation, and if you're really stuck, then I'll let you use Rapidshare for the primary link. The problem isn't one rapidshare link a day, it's 15 Rapishare links (Yes. It IS happening!)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good thing i've never used either. so nothing lost.

So i am responding to this saying I won't use either.

Banner: Shinythings
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Putfile still won't let me upload but so far *fingers crossed* Picafile will. But I gotcha, no RS or MU!

~Aislynn
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picafile is being a bitch recently tried to upload a vid 5 times it just uploads all the way then stalls grr
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it down Warren, no RS or MU links.
No problem there what so ever.
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that'S a bid mad for me
picafile doens't like me lately o_o
ok I'm not going to submit a vid anyway XDD
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. Okay.

I now I went to that PicAPic where they have updates on their site and the guy was angry that it suddenly got immensely popular.
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no problemo
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:09 am    Post subject: Re: No More Rapidshare or Megaupload! Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
So from this point onward, any video sent in using these services will NOT be eligible for a Council Pick Seal, which is our form of award to the great videos out there, and is used to bring attention to the best videos on the site. I know not all of you like us voting on the videos anyway, but we don't want to see any videos ineligible to win an award on LVI just because they don't cooperate with something as simple as this.

Quick quetion: Why do some of you hate the judging??

I love it. It feels like there's actual control over the site unlike most vidding sites
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I now I went to that PicAPic where they have updates on their site and the guy was angry that it suddenly got immensely popular.

Go us, we can make a difference! poor guys... sucking their bandwidth
Quote:

Quick quetion: Why do some of you hate the judging??

I love it. It feels like there's actual control over the site unlike most vidding sites

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if you have absolutely no other option, there's still Yousendit. As long as you get a link up with Rapidshare as soon as the vid is posted to the site, then all should be okay we just can't judge when half the vids sent in are Rapidshare >.< arghhhh
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:

I can't believe I'm saying this, but if you have absolutely no other option, there's still Yousendit.

ummmm maaaahh Warren said the "Y" word

easilyjaded
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no problem with this since I have my friend's server that I upload my videos on, but I imagine its going to be quite hard for the August contest. A video thats 10 minutes long (like I'm guessing most of the entries will be) is not going to squeeze into 10MB and still be...well...watchable. I'm guessing a lot of people will use YouSendIt...

Do I have a point? No, not really
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: