Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thoughts: Anonymous voting
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 3:26 am    Post subject: Thoughts: Anonymous voting Reply with quote

(Disclaimer: This is just my opinion and a suggestion, not OMG CHANGE THIS OR ELSE. Also, if this belongs in a different forum, please move it.)

OK, so I've been chatting about this with several people, and we've come to the conclusion that anonymous voting is having a disproportionately negative impact.

Arguments in favor of anonymous voting: People can give the video the rating that they believe it deserves without fear of being asked about it.

Arguments against anonymous voting: People tend to just anony-bronze and not post comments. That is not helpful, and detrimental to videos that otherwise receive good scores, and the vidder is left staring at the anony-bronze, not knowing why it is there, not knowing what is wrong with the video, and not being able to improve upon the score.

Recommendation: Anonymous voting, IMO, should be disabled. Again, I stress this is just my opinion. However, I think the anonymous votes don't help anything and are problematic.

I know that anonymous voting will not be disabled, however, so I suggest that if people are going to anonymous vote, they should be required to give a reason/post comments (whereas voting under your own name shouldn't require comments? or should it as well?) Otherwise, it does not help foster a community, and it does not help anyone improve.

In fact, in my own case, it takes away my desire to try to make a vid and to take chances in the video, because I know that taking chances will bring out the anonymous bronzes. How can I hope to improve or make better videos in that circumstance? Having found myself on the bad side of several anonymous bronze votes that came without explanation on videos that were otherwise all-gold or all-silver, all that's telling me is, 'Well, this is nice, but I'm not going to bother to explain to you why it's just nice and no better than that, despite being different than all the other votes.' And that doesn't help anything.

Thoughts? I look forward to hearing people's opinions, be they in agreement or disagreement.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Re: Thoughts: Anonymous voting Reply with quote

Heya Kate! Let me start with the bottom line: no matter what we do, disable anonymous voting, write up more rules, etc. we can't make somebody give concrit on a vid.

As much as we'd all like people to leave at least some idea of why they voted what they did, either good or bad, there's just no practical way to enforce that. By taking away the anonymous vote, all you'd end up doing is drastically cutting down the number of votes because, honestly, then most people wouldn't vote, rather than have to do it publicly.

The option to NOT vote anonymously is there, of course, and I think people certainly know to go to the vid's main thread when they want to leave some sort of feedback. But, truthfully, there's no practical way to make everyone who watches a vid stop and analyze what they liked and didn't like about it and offer suggestions for improvement. People HAVE the option but it's not something that can be enforced by any sort of rule.

You might notice that a warning to vote fairly etc. pops every so often. Also included in that is the reminder that, while anonymous votes are hidden from the general public, they're NOT hidden from the Council Members. We don't watch them to see what people are voting just for kicks (and, if you're wondering, CMs can't see the anonymous votes on their own vids to try and keep it fair ) but we certainly can monitor patterns of votes.

However, we can't tell people that they're just not allowed to vote Bronze unless they give a reason for it. If that's what they feel a vid deserves, there's no way we can't censor that. And we can't make them tell the vidder why they thought that vid deserved Bronze or whatever. If we set that as a condition, that they HAVE to give a detailed reason as to why they're voting what they're voting, then again, people simply wouldn't vote.

The best we can do is what we've already done: you have to be a member of LVI and logged in to vote (to discourage prank voting) and you're reminded that you're not truly anonymous. But we can't force people to leave concrit, all we can do is suggest it.

Anyway, I'm certainly sorry to hear that this has been causing some stress for you and other vidders. One of our main concerns when we made the LVI 5.0 upgrade was to put the power of the vote into the hands of the membership, not just the Council as it had been since LVI's inception. But all we can do is to remind people to vote responsibly. We can't force them to leave mature, thoughtful concrit.

If it's any consolation, I have anonymous Bronze votes on some of my vids, too. Hey, everybody's allowed to have an opinion, after all. And I'd rather they just left their Bronze vote anonymous than fill in "THIS VID SUXXXXX!!!" in a required field.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But the problem is that these anonymous, unhelpful votes hobble videos without having any sort of positive impact.

If a video is gold, gold, gold at average-vidder status, and then an expert-vidder comes along and bronzes, the video goes down to silver. If the bronze is anonymous, then there is no way that the person receiving the bronze (and, thus, a person who now has a silver pick that was otherwise a gold, or a bronze pick that was otherwise a silver, or, in the extreme circumstance, a video with no pick that should have gotten some form of notice) can get any sort of constructive criticism from that. So they get a gold pick changed to a silver, and no reason why. That's a disproportionately negative, unhelpful impact.

To use you as an example (sorry, but heck), it may not be so for you, because that one anonymous bronze is amongst twenty or so other votes. To people that receive only five or six votes on a video, however, that anonymous bronze negatively impacts, and an anonymous bronze has a very disproportionate impact for very little reward or hope for improvement.

Hopefully you see my point there. I know it's been impacting my scores, and I have heard from other folks who receive less votes than super-popular vidders that it impacts theirs as well.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefilmchick wrote:
But the problem is that these anonymous, unhelpful votes hobble videos without having any sort of positive impact.

My question is this: how would making the vote not anonymous solve that problem? And again, how can you force someone to leave concrit? And even if they leave concrit but keep their vote a Bronze, how will that make the average any better? Granted, the point of concrit is to improve future vids but since we're talking about a particular vid with its vote being swayed by someone with a high enough rank to pull the average down, how does knowing who they are make that any better, per se?

Also, is it better to have a vote with no concrit or simply no votes? Because I can pretty much promise that, without the anonymous vote, the number of votes for everybody's vids will go way down.

thefilmchick wrote:
To use you as an example (sorry, but heck), it may not be so for you, because that one anonymous bronze is amongst twenty or so other votes. To people that receive only five or six votes on a video, however, that anonymous bronze negatively impacts, and an anonymous bronze has a very disproportionate impact for very little reward or hope for improvement.

Actually, it would work out that no matter how many total votes you have, from a whole lot to only a few, the end result will still be swayed by the same thing: the rank (and thus the "power") of the voters once it hits enough votes to tell the system to calculate a Viewer's Pick (and that's the same number for everybody ). In this example, my average would be brought down by a few low votes from Expert vidders, no matter how many lower ranked vidders voted me higher. And that would be the same whether I knew who the Expert vidders were or whether they were anonymous.

thefilmchick wrote:
Hopefully you see my point there. I know it's been impacting my scores, and I have heard from other folks who receive less votes than super-popular vidders that it impacts theirs as well.

I really do understand your concerns and I know it's terribly frustrating to feel like not you're getting the response that you want and deserve. But again, I don't see how anyone can be forced to leave concrit. And pretty much, if we DID have a way to force them, I'm not sure if it would really be "helpful" concrit that they would leave anyway. (See above "THIS VID SUXXXXXX!!!" example ) At least the Viewer's Picks are dynamic, so just because a vid has a Bronze or Silver VP right now, that doesn't mean that it can't end up receiving a higher VP after more people vote! The averages are designed to be able to change to reflect the voting for as long as it continues.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or a lower pick, mind you - I've had two gold viewer picks drop to silver thanks to lowered ratings from more recent people, which is a bad feeling. (Would it be possible to keep gold picks static once they were attained?)

As far as making the vote not anonymous to solve the problem: People would be more willing to leave constructive criticism if they had their name on the vote, I believe. It's too easy to vote and dash, and holding people to some overt level of responsibility would alleviate that, especially if it were obvious that the vote was being swayed by a particular bronze vote. It would foster a greater sense of reciprocal responsibility, which at the moment doesn't really exist.

(Sorry, I sound like a lawyer in this; too many classes today including a three-hour seminar, blech. But take my point as it stands, despite the stilted writing.)

I would rather get a bronze with concrit than just a bronze, personally. A bronze tells me nothing. A bronze with, 'You should have had more beat use' or 'Your video was fuzzy-looking in the bridge' or whatever would help me know where to improve next time. At this point, with the bronze amidst the golds that I do have, all I know is that someone, somewhere, doesn't agree with everyone else that the video deserves a gold. Well, gee, thanks. But why? I have no idea.

I'd honestly rather not have a vote up there than have someone vote bronze and have that affect the rating, with no help in the process.

As far as your final point: The end result in any given vote would still be swayed by the rank/power of the voters, BUT the rank/power of 3 Expert vidders is much less when put 'against' 20 Advanced vidders than it is if there are 3 Expert vidders and 3 Advanced vidders. As it stands, the anonymous bronze votes hit those who receive less votes in a far worse fashion than those who receive more votes, and that shouldn't be.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add my two sense an annoyance at the same time, I think you shouldn't be able to leave a comment in the vote field without giving it an actual vote. For my latest vid, i have five votes, most are annoymus but that doesnt really bother me. This one does. its anonymus with no gold/silver/bronze and all it says is 'I hate this song' Why should I be targeted for song choice? if you dont like it, dont watch it. sos, its a lil off topic, but it just irriates me everytime i read it.

rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:
To add my two sense an annoyance at the same time, I think you shouldn't be able to leave a comment in the vote field without giving it an actual vote. For my latest vid, i have five votes, most are annoymus but that doesnt really bother me. This one does. its anonymus with no gold/silver/bronze and all it says is 'I hate this song' Why should I be targeted for song choice? if you dont like it, dont watch it. sos, its a lil off topic, but it just irriates me everytime i read it.

I saw that and though the same thing
I have the same problem with my latest video, it had 2 gold votes, 7 silver and 3 bronze. Only one person gave a name and comment on their vote.
It is slightly upsetting when you have random bronze votes among many higher ones.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heya everybody!

The impact that votes have on vids is based fairly. It all depends on your status. If you are an Expert Vidder and you vote you have more of an impact on the rating of a vid as do the Council Member's vote so people who just write "I don't like the song.." who are novice vidders will not have much of an impact on the final rating.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

The impact that votes have on vids is based fairly. It all depends on your status. If you are an Expert Vidder and you vote you have more of an impact on the rating of a vid as do the Council Member's vote so people who just write "I don't like the song.." who are novice vidders will not have much of an impact on the final rating.

Oh, I understand, so your saying when and if an expert vidder, or if you are one, it makes more of an impact than if a novice does? I understand that.

My opinion in all of this is basically the same as Polarbears now, but I do once in a while get a little annoyed if I get random votes, when I only got a certain amount of comments, or if I get comments on a vid, and no votes...but you know its' going to happen to you at least once.

littleton_pace wrote:
This one does. its anonymus with no gold/silver/bronze and all it says is 'I hate this song' Why should I be targeted for song choice? if you dont like it, dont watch it. sos, its a lil off topic, but it just irriates me everytime i read it.

I just saw that now! Voters really should just give constructive critisisum that helps you, or nice feedback. I have the same thing with some of my vids and I feel the same as you...

Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:

that is just plain stupid, it shouldn't be judged on the song choice it should be on the video it's self.

I know how you feel though, i get bronze's on my video, and i've been looking at videos, and most of them ending getting that anonymus bronze vote when there's gold's and silvers in it.
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:

I can totally understand your feelings here. I remember seeing that vote and I got upset myself, too. As you already said, you don't like the song, so don't watch the vid. It's simply stupid to judge a vid simply by the song choice.

I guess we have to find a way to tell people off or give them a warning for posting comments like that one. Maybe we should have some kind of button where you can flag nasty comments?

As for the anonymous vote thing: I'm with Ais here. I don't think that we should change it because I'm afraid that people would stop voting because of this.... and then we'd be back with the old system where only Council Members would do the voting. We don't really want to get back there, do we?
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Heya everybody!

Paul - Statistically, it's not, though. Each individual vote is fair, yes, but the cumulative vote isn't.

A video with 20 gold votes, and one anonymous bronze that is in there for whatever reason (and uncommented, so who knows what the reason is), will suffer far less from that bronze than will a video with 5 gold votes, and one bronze. The anonymous bronze vote may hit every single video without discrimination - you may get it, I may get it, Aislynn may get it, whomever. However, it impacts people with less votes far more severely than it impacts people with more votes. Hell, I'm sure there are people out there who get screwed by it more than I.

Kaja - As far as the old system, honestly, as I said, I'd rather have no vote than a vote that doesn't help me improve, which these anonymous bronzes do not, and which hurts the video. At least with the Council-only vote, there was some feedback as to why a video got the rating that it did. In this, the anonymous bronze vote with a video that otherwise has gold completely skews the rating, and with no explanation.

If you should have the option to flag nasty comments, I think you should also have the option to allow or disallow anonymous voting, idealistically. From a programming standpoint, I know that sucks and is impossible. However, if nasty comments and a bad vote have a negative impact, so too do no comments and a bad vote. Both have the same level of help for the vidder, after all.
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Paul - Statistically, it's not, though. Each individual vote is fair, yes, but the cumulative vote isn't.
I haven't seen a single instance were the odd vote had an impact on the overall judgement.

Everybody gets the odd votes, Aislynn got a bronze on her first-place contest vid , I get the odd votes too, but we have to look beyond that and see the actual results, not the individuals votes.

Maybe we should hide the individual votes and only let people see the actual results.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cylune wrote:
Quote:
I haven't seen a single instance were the odd vote had an impact on the overall judgement.

Everybody gets the odd votes, Aislynn got a bronze on her first-place contest vid , I get the odd votes too, but we have to look beyond that and see the actual results, not the individuals votes.

Maybe we should hide the individual votes and only let people see the actual results.

As the most obvious example (and sorry to use my own stuff, but it's easiest): The Other Side of Summer

Four gold votes. Was previously a gold video/gold council pick, so must have received three gold votes from council members.

One silver vote: Expert vidder.

One bronze vote: Anonymous, unknown.

Is a silver.

Even with the silver vote, and assuming it's weighted the same as the gold votes (because I'm not sure what the voting slant is between expert vidders and council members), the average would be 2.8, or a gold. Considering expert vidders are probably worth a little less than council members, it would be even higher than that. Even if that fourth gold vote weren't from someone high-up in the ranks, it would still be a high average.

With the bronze vote, the average is 2.5, which pulls it down to a silver from a gold. That's a negative impact, and for no help or comments.

I think hiding is a bad choice as sometimes it's helpful to see if a video was all-silver and one-gold or half-and-half, or what have you, and having the votes helps that. I just think the tendency to 'vote and dash,' as I said, is far too prevalent, and I dislike when one of my videos takes a hit from someone who can't be bothered to post comments. In my book, if you can't be bothered to post comments even anonymously, you shouldn't bother to vote, but again, I stress that's just me.

NB: I have class off-and-on all day, starting in ten minutes, so if I'm lurking and don't respond instantly, that's called 'being bored in class, but not brave enough to post.'

Last edited by thefilmchick on Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah like i have nothing against voting anonymusly because i do it too, but in a way i think if there wasn't that option and if someone didn't like the video and they wanted to vote a bronze they might not want the vidder to know who it was, or i know this would probably never happen on here, if someone voted a great video bronze for the simple fact they didn't like it, the person who's video that was might start doing the same to the person who voted the bronze on their video just put of sheer pettiness.

if you understand that cause i have a feeling it's jibberish cause i'm singing out loud and keep typing what i'm singing lol you get a cookie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: