Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

August Contest Information
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great minds think alike
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I have a question about the contest rules.

"-Running time must not exceed 10:00 or one song with a minimum of 3:00. "

So that means if we are using more than one song, each one must last at least 3 minutes? There's a song I'm thinking about using but it's only 2:32. Would that disqualify my vid if I used that??
Enchirito
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that means you aren't suposed to use more than one song. period.

But let's ask Lostcalier because she wrote the rules...

lostcalier?
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostcalier wrote:
Yeah I should clarify that a bit. You can use as many songs as you need in a 10 minute span (just please be careful with the sound editing and making the songs work together) but if you use one song it must be over 3 minutes. Does that help clarify things?

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2005 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lostcalier wrote:
lostcalier wrote:
Yeah I should clarify that a bit. You can use as many songs as you need in a 10 minute span (just please be careful with the sound editing and making the songs work together) but if you use one song it must be over 3 minutes. Does that help clarify things?

I get it now, thanks so much!
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm well on my way with my vid for the contest (I'm doing "Be Yourself" by Audioslave), about halfway through.

Finally decided to read the contest specifics again. I'd decided on doing this vid (and started it) before the contest, then read the contest specs, THEN decided a couple weeks later to submit this vid for the contest.

Now my vid WILL contain all the highlights of the season AND all the characters (as it was going to when I originally planned it before the contest), however, it's not all that chronological.

Without giving too much away about exactly what I'm doing, I'm introducing characters and juxtoposing things that happened on the island with things that happened in their flashbacks, then at some point I AM going to do a recap of the whole season. So basically the main parts of the vid are going to be characters and their flashbacks, with the main plot in there as a secondary focus.

My problem is, it's not really chronological. The plot highlights WILL be linear, but the character stuff is not really.

I really want to submit this (because it's shaping up to be one of my best vids yet), but I'm hoping it still fits the qualifications. What do you guys think? I know the vid will definitely make sense to people who watch the show, but it might be a tad confusing for newbies (I'm doing my best to chose clips that have a very obvious narrative quality to them, but it's hard to think as an outsider when I know the show so well myself).

Also, since this is (weirdly enough) the first contest I'm going to enter on LVI, I thought I'd ask: If my vid doesn't place, can I resubmit it as just a regular vid to the site? Because it would work for either the contest, or just as a normal vid.

Geekdom abounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AmyMac
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine isn't all that chronological either, but I'm trying to be creative with how I let the audience know the differences. Good Luck! Can't wait to see it! BTW, this is the first contest I'm entering in too...
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is very chronological and I only shift things around when it doesn't affect the plot. I have used to odd flashback. I think it's alright if you shift to flashbacks but keep the plot chronological you should be alright RW.
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is mostly chronological, but at certain parts I just take one plot and explain that, jump an episode before and explain that plot. For instance, I'll explain Charlie and Claire getting kidnapped and Sayid meeting Danielle all in one song because the song fits The Others, but before THAT song I'll have a general overview of Sawyer and the Boone/Shannon Heart and Minds storyline.

So thats not really in order :-\

But to me it'll make most sense.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine's basically in chronological order...with a very few exceptions, all clearly indicated. I've gotten up to "Solitary". Still have "Raised By Another" through "Exodus" to go...yes, I know. I'm so behind.

sig by niki blue
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm way behind everyone--I'm at about 0.3 seconds in. Dunno if I'm gonna make the deadline on this one.
AmyMac
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, got my vid hosted (with Paul's help, THANKS!) and I went to submit it this morning and they aren't accepting submissions?
AmyMac
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Every time I watch my video I find something that could be better or something that I think the judges might not like or won't make sense. Anybody else doing this??? I am driving myself mad!!!
Ringwench
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmyMac wrote:
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Every time I watch my video I find something that could be better or something that I think the judges might not like or won't make sense. Anybody else doing this??? I am driving myself mad!!!

I know what you mean, I've been working on my vid for like a month now and every time I sit down to do more work on it I end up just fixing little "flaws" instead of moving forward with it!

We have one more week to finish and I'm DETERMINED to finish this vid and I'm DETERMINED to make it the best vid I've ever made.

So yeah, it's been a little slow going at times

Geekdom abounds.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AmyMac wrote:
Ok, got my vid hosted (with Paul's help, THANKS!) and I went to submit it this morning and they aren't accepting submissions?

We're still cleaning up from the hack and a weak point was the submit area so Enchirito had to temporarily shut it down so he can fully secure it and get it up to par so we never have to experience another situation like we did. We should have it back up within the next week. Enchirito is moving so as soon as he can get back online it hopefully won't take him long to do the upgrade. I'll keep you guys updated.

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: