Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3x05 - The Cost of Living Episode Description
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Locke is the only one we know who hasn't killed or sinned

I beg to differ!

-Hitting Sayid on the head and implying to Sayid that Sawyer did it and giving Sawyer a knife! /He allowed Sayid to torture Ben / while he didn't shoot Eddie, he thought about doing it. Lying about Boone injuries, lying about Boone and him looking for Claire while they were trying to open up the hatch /after the hatch dynamite explosion, when Desmond and him couldn't hear a soud... Desmond wanted to see if Charlie and Eko were ok... he said they were "not his friend" And I'm sure I forgot some.

I believe that Locke is a good man and maybe that's why he saw a white light but to say he's without sin is a little much.

Quote:
6.) How come Charlie didnt think of the downed plane when Eko first said "my brother"?
I didn't even think of it myself... then again I'm not very bright . Maybe that's why I like Charlie. I can relate.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cylune wrote:
Quote:
Quote:
Locke is the only one we know who hasn't killed or sinned

I beg to differ!

-Hitting Sayid on the head and implying to Sayid that Sawyer did it and giving Sawyer a knife! /He allowed Sayid to torture Ben / while he didn't shoot Eddie, he thought about doing it. Lying about Boone injuries, lying about Boone and him looking for Claire while they were trying to open up the hatch /after the hatch dynamite explosion, when Desmond and him couldn't hear a soud... Desmond wanted to see if Charlie and Eko were ok... he said they were "not his friend" And I'm sure I forgot some.

I believe that Locke is a good man and maybe that's why he saw a white light but to say he's without sin is a little much.

*small voice* I was talking about Walkabout (which is what I thought he was refering to when he said "what did you see")

Quote:
Quote:

6.) How come Charlie didnt think of the downed plane when Eko first said "my brother"?

You actually expect that much insight from Charlie

Quote:
Quote:

...this show officially SUCKS.

*sigh* what's wrong KC? I exactly didn't love this ep, but then again my favourite character didn't die. Then again, I stopped liking Eko ever since he stopped being msterious in his first flashback.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't liked any of the eps this entire season. I feel like they're forsaking a lot of plotlines and storyarchs from season one and two. I felt like they were doing that LAST season but its not uncommon for a show to have a second season slump, but this just seems to be an all around rape of what the show WAS (and what it could have been). You can agree or disagree, but a lot of people share my sentiments.

Killing Eko, in my opinion, makes most of what happened last season (which I had issues with in the first place) pointless. All but Bernard from the tail section are dead. New trite characters with nice bodies have been introduced. There's an endless stream of annoying unexplained continuity gaps. It's rediculous. Even if I didn't like Eko, I'd feel this way. What about WALT? The special child, with powers and a sense of when something bad was gonna happen, the one the others wanted. He's gone now. So what was the point of all that? I could go on, but I won't because this is the discussion thread for this particular episode.

But yeah, I'm done. I'll watch next week. But after that it's "Dear, Lost. Good riddance. No Love, Me."

Last edited by SuperKC on Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:59 am; edited 2 times in total
cylune
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Warren about messing up your post. Push the edit button instead of quote.

Quote:
*small voice* I was talking about Walkabout (which is what I thought he was refering to when he said "what did you see")
Oh, I see!! He saw a white light in Walkabout because he was a decent man then but because of the 'sins' he did on the island, maybe that's why the monster attacked him in Exodus. He wasn't such a great man then. I like that!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:

Ian Somerhalder must be gloating like all hell though, because he's still the death people care about most. Lucky bugger. When all the actors playing dead chars on the cast get together for their "We died on Lost!" parties (and trust me, there'll be a lot of people by the end of it), he'll be having a field day.

If I could pick any party to go to, it would be the "death parties".

Quote:

Ruth, you can laugh about Locke all you want, but you gotta admit, he beats Jack all to hell I was like "what?!" when he did the whole "everyone's invited!" thing - though that was such an annoying way to integrate those redshirts in ug.

Oh I wasnt really "laughing" about him, but hes been wrong before and YEAH, why DIDNT it occur ANY of them really? And Im totally with you on the whole intergrating of those people- how transparent! It was just SO un-Locke like. "Hey who wants to go on fun cooky jungle adventure???".

Quote:
That was pretty cool though, with the monster... you know... being corporeal and all. And vengeful... gotta like the venge.

I thought Eko's "confession" was pretty accurate.

Quote:
Jack's side:
This was more interesting than anything else in the ep (actually, it kinda always has been). Damn, that's one twisty little situation here He can either trust Juliet and put himself in some big big danger, or he can not do that, and put himself in an equal ammount . Except one way he gets to KILL SOMEONE! MWAHAHAAH (and fail... a big "no no" in Jack's book.)

I actually did enjoy Jack in this episode, I like him when hes got some cajones. It makes him way sexier...except in that shirt...

Quote:
Hmmm... what else... oh yeah, eypatch dude. I totally thought he was an alien in the previews . Don't care much though. Just a way for the stupid new characters to make my Locke look like more of a dumbass (*hears Ruth snicker*)

If its any consolation, I still dont like Paolo- what a stupid ass!

Quote:
I can't think of anything .

ETA: Oh wait! The flashbacks! Damn, almost forgot about those.
I guess the were okay, enough.

Well they had to give him something...it was Eko's "finale".

Quote:
Oh, and the "You're next." yeah, don't really care. I heard it before, with the whole "How long does it take to train an army" . You just can't get me excited spouting cool quotes anymore without backing them . Sorry.

In with you 100% on this one...I said "whatever!" out loud at my house.

Quote:
Next ep looks amazing. This is why I'm glad Lost split into two parts this seaosn. Two friggin finales! Wooooooooot!

Someone fill me in...didnt see the preview!

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You actually expect that much insight from Charlie

HAHAHHAHAAA! No not really...

Quote:
Quote:
...this show officially SUCKS.

*sigh* what's wrong KC? I exactly didn't love this ep, but then again my favourite character didn't die. Then again, I stopped liking Eko ever since he stopped being msterious in his first flashback.

Ive basically accepted said suckiness, and intergrated it into my general enjoyment of the show. I basically MST3K the hell out of the thing, so much so that I keep a little pen and paper with me to write down my observations. As my sister says (per the Sawyer): "I cant stop watching! I just cant!". I think for her (a doctor in training) its like seeing an eyeball surgery on one of those health channels- its horrible, but somehow you MUST look.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
I haven't liked any of the eps this entire season. I feel like they're forsaking a lot of plotlines and storyarchs from season one and two. I felt like they were doing that LAST season but its not uncommon for a show to have a second season slump, but this just seems to be an all around rape of what the show WAS (and what it could have been). You can agree or disagree, but a lot of people share my sentiments.

Killing Eko, in my opinion, makes most of what happened last season (which I had issues with in the first place) pointless. All but Bernard from the tail section are dead. New trite characters with nice bodies have been introduced. There are continuous plot and continuity gaps. It's rediculous. Even if I didn't like Eko, I'd feel this way. What about WALT? The special child, with powers and a sense of when something bad was gonna happen, the one the others wanted. He's gone now. So what was the point of all that? I could go on, but I won't because this is the discussion thread for this particular episode.

But yeah, I'm done. I'll watch next week. But after that it's "Dear, Lost. Good riddance. No Love, Me."

Hmmm... if you saw my posts in "Further Instrcutions", then you know I pretty-much agree with everything you just said. However... there's still a glimmer of the Lost I want in there, that comes through every episode, by looking carefully at what we're given and examining. Without that discussion that spanned several pages, and without Aislynn suggesting that Locke was doing that whole hatch thing as a way to try to make Boone's death mean something and relieve his guilt, I might be on the exact same lines as you right now . I think Lost is being run to desperately appeal to the people out there who watch shows casually (and judging by all the articles about ratings being wacko this year, I really woinder if it's working) but down beneath the stupidity is the show we still like, and it hasn't died yet. But yes... Season 2... it may just be for nothing. But Eko's death, it can still mean something if we can figure out what this has told us about the monster, because it has told us a LOT more than we ever knew about it. And all of this, it all comes down to vidding - that's how this show can be good again, by analyzing it in our own way and making the hints of things clear in an outstanding and emotional video...
Lost is a cultural phenomenon, unfortunately this crappy culture is the thing opressing it most.

That all said, I can still completely understand why you might want to leave Lost for good . And maybe it's for the best, if you do, and someday you can come back and watch it all back to back and like it more when you have much less to expect from it. But what I really really do hope is that you don't leave LVI . That would honestly suck. A lot .

Quote:

Oh, I see!! He saw a white light in Walkabout because he was a decent man then but because of the 'sins' he did on the island, maybe that's why the monster attacked him in Exodus. He wasn't such a great man then. I like that!

*feels better about that* .
It fits with that theme we've been working on of the good guys and bad guys switching places too. Locke came a poor, pitiful, victim, handicappee farmer, and now he's become a hunter, with a lot more on his concience than before .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re: RUTH
It's tough when it takes itself so seriously though. And JJ and Damon think they're hot shit. Whatever. They're sucktastic. Anyone can create a product. Which is what this has come to. These days Lost is a ratings machine. Or at least its ATTEMPTING to be. The story isn't important to them anymore. I can't respect that. It's no longer art. The characters were something of importance and not simply fodder to be discarded everytime sweeps rolled around. Let's throw a pointless kiss (C&C) in the season finale just because the fangirls want it, despite the fact that according to the story's timeline he just kidnapped her baby about 3.5 days ago and she thinks he's crazy. (Last season, was about 2 weeks in island time.)

Re: Warren
I see what you're saying to an extent. I loved the scene with Juliet this episode and it felt special and exciting. But mostly I feel like any glimmer of anything is just smoke and mirrors. All hook and NO WORM.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All true. Any storyline or art they try to tell gets shot all to hell because they need to feed the need of the society that begs for the show - kiss here, death there, monster here, mystery there. It's what the "public" wants. And among all that senseless philandering (probably not the right word, but I like it ) even the people who supposedly want the art don't get pleased What do you call the flashbacks every ep? "20 minutes of wasted time" ? That's what I call it here. But what that is is pure, basically-unabridged storytelling straight from the wrters, trying to build a character. That's the art and wonder we seek and we hate it, because it's boring, and a waste of time. Perhaps if there weren't so many flashbacks the "real" show wouldn't have to rush itself so much, and thus be filled to the brim with the fan-serving moments. And the only part any of us really care all that much about (I'm speaking generally, of course) - the on-island character development and plot development - gets ignored and pushed aside by the fan-serving and the flashbacks. It's still there kinda.... maybe... but, there's a lot of work to get to it...
But you know, all in all, when you look at Lost, it's alone in this quality storytelling. No other show takes itself seriously like this and yet manages to get such an abstract and stange plot AND remain on primetime television with tons of viewers. This show could have EASILY been on HBO - and then it would have probably been exactly what we all want - but it also might not have made it this far Look at Carnivale. ()

To me, Lost is a show that is greater than the sum of its parts. I don't look forward to an ep anymore, not really I almost dread them. But I still can't stop watching, I want to know what happens, and I do like what comes from Lost - which is these discussions, and the videos on this site... I like how we can still manage to analyze characters and storylines even when they're being torn to shreds. And if we keep idealizing it, then at least we can ride out the wave until this show is finally over and we can rest our addictions . Then it'll get trully good heheh, as suddenly the vids will marvelously AU, outline, and study every little aspect of the show we ever loved, until only good memories are left.
That was a strangely optimistic and fearful little paragraph there
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've seen the beginning and the end of the ep but missed about 35 minutes right in the middle (don't ask... ). So I really can't give a good opinion on a great deal of it. But I have one REALLY strong opinion:

They just shot a buncha holes in my Ben vid!

*primal scream*

Oh well. I'm usually not destined to vid canon, anyway. It's AU time now, baby!

But still, that frosts me that my idea is gonna look a heck of a lot more stupid now. *continues grumbling for a while longer*

I want to second something that Warren said to KC, though. I hope that you'll still want to come hang out with us even if you don't want to watch Lost anymore. Maybe that sounds weird to say, 'cause it's like if you hate the show, why would you come to this site where we talk and vid about the show... But the thing is, we're a community here, too, and you're definitely part of this community and you have been for a long while now! And we talk about a lot of other things here as well, many other shows, movies, etc. And let us not forget the Spam thread, where anything goes! So I hope you won't feel towards us the way you're feeling towards the show right now, if that makes sense?

*big squeezy hugs*
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going anywhere. And I might even finish this one vid I've been working on for oh.. eternity. But as far as watching? Not so much with the doing that.
xgene
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished watching and now I'm throwing in my 2 cents...or more, whatever.

I actually really enjoyed this episode and I really liked Jack in this episode. Juliet is awesome, I don't care what all you haters may say. "To Kill a Mockingbird"... there's a double meaning in that (quote: Benedick)

Killing Ecko was a bad move as I agree that it makes alot of second season seem pointless or even trivial. At least he had a "Gladiator" type send off (reunited) which was sweet. Sort of new it was Ecko when they did recaps of his previous flashbacks.

They need to stop killing off characters on their flashback episodes.

Oh, again, the two spamlighters were in there, Nikki (spelling?) and Paulo. Though unlike Paulo's 15 seconds of spamlight last episode, Nikki's was actually productive. Paulo is like the stuff he flushed down the toilet this episode, at least right now. Guess you have to start them somewhere.

Dude, eye-patch man is a total Nick Fury wannabe (Marvel geek, sue me )

Back to character deaths. If Paulo and Nikki get flashbacks that really don't further anything new and then are killed later, I don't care when, I am totally going to be pissed. It's like new characters only have a 1 season shelf life. I want them to stop adding new plane crash survivors as season regulars. It sort of worked season 2 for the tail section not to mention Desmond was a nice add on, but I wish they would stick to the original cast more as they started with a large group to begin with. We don't need more. It's not like Alias with a small core cast which needed new characters and I pray they stop killing off interesting characters like they did on Alias *coughThom Gracecough*

Question: was it implied that Ecko's brother was actually "the monster"?

I agree with Hobbes, I am no longer excited about episodes but I still watch. Sometimes I'm happy I did, other times not so much. It's funny cause when I watch a new episode now, I've trained my eyes to catch nice clips of characters for vidding

Next ep:
Spoiler:

not so excited about the main stuff. More of the Jack and "the others" subplot for that episode as the end of this last ep with the tv sparked my interest, something that hasn't happened in a while. The ep is just another excuse for another character ship episode told and shown in a slightly different way. Even though its my fav ship, if you can even call me a shipper, I know it's another excuse to show more skin and further the stereotype that **** is a tool for shipping. Out of respect to Aislynn I won't get into that again as both Hobbes and I have gang beated her in the first ep thread.

*gives a cookie to Aislynn if she ever reads this* sorry, they're not as good as yours

I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay.... this one stunk. And I'm less and less surprised or affected.

In my opinion, regardless of which character it was, that was probably the WORST death so far on Lost. But maybe this initial reaction will change if I gain more insight into the why and all that.... at least we know how the monster could actually pull the pilot out of the plane and bash against Boone and Shannon. I read about the death being Eko's beforehand, so fidgeting through the below sub-par pointless flashbacks I felt comforted knowing that we wouldn't have to go through this again. I'm not so angry that Eko died anymore. *I'm too lazy to talk about the abandonement of season 2 buildup with Eko again*

My worst complaint, besides the whole Eko storyline, has to be the way Locke is acting. Um.... why the hell is he suddenly so aloof and unaffected by EVERYTHING?? After all that he just went through... all that raw, unhinged emotional buildup... suddenly he's some bored smart-assing know-it-all stiff hunter. I was expecting a lot more out of him leaning over dying Eko. Heelllllloooooooo?? You two were best friends. You made a crying apology to him for stopping him from pressing the button for f****sakes. That would earn somewhere around the Boone reaction. But no. Just be mildly amused and surprised that Eko died and let everyone else know a simple memo, "We're next". I feel really bad sounding like I'm bashing TOQ's performance, but I'm pretty sure it was all about the writing for Locke. I wish I liked this new Locke, but I don't. At all. Right now I almost feel like him getting blown up in the hatch would be a more dignified way to go. I hope I'm wrong in the coming eps, but I really doubt it.

Now, on to the positive observations.

- LOVED the exchange Juliet gave to Jack. This is the Lost I like. It's smart and sneaky. And while I wasn't really on the Jacket raft before, I'm totally on now. This episode was Jacket heaven.

- When the little boy in Eko's hallucinations said "Confess", my family and I thought he said "Go fish". We had a blast over that.

- Plus in the flashback I thought the little boy said "Asshole" in his sentence.

- The only thing good about Eko's flashbacks was him going postal on those guys. It reminded me of Nikki and her split personality on Heroes. "Eko is not here right now."

- I think the Jaters are getting totally Owned right now. Sorry..... I don't mean to......... yeah.

- Learning what Locke really saw was fantastic. Even though the way they went about it was just not good, I can imagine what Locke really saw and feel nice about it. It really fits with the continuity.

Okay, one more thing I have to say. This would all be so easy if only I could just stop watching with the confidence of knowing that I wouldn't miss anything good and it would go absolutely nowhere. Because I know that's not true. And usually the next episode, or the one after that or next, is awesome again, and I NEED to know all of the mysteries solved. This is the worst show to try and stop watching. Maybe I just shouldn't care whether or not I watch it. It's only one night out of the whole week, idly keeping tabs on what's going on next, watching out for if it picks up good or if something nice happens. Plus just one more until a big long break, and I can just abandon it for a long time and pretend I actually quit watching the show for 3 months.

Nighty night folks.

sig by IslandofMystery

Last edited by Distress Signal on Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Juliet is still playing Jack. I don't believe Ben has a tumor. I think they just want him to turn him to their side. The whole would you kill a man under the knife is another test for Jack.

I thought the monster stuff was amazing. This is a big deal. It basically confirms all the visions of people is basically the monster who can appear how it wants. I do believe it's true form is still the black smoke though.

I don't look forward to an ep as much anymore and regularly I feel empty somewhat after an ep. I think is mostly down to the previews though. I expected more to be made of eyepatch guy in the hatch.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen a little more of the ep and just had to stop and mention the fact that Ben said his plans were "shot to sunshine."

*feels that its fate to go ahead and make her "much more AU than intended" vid, since she said her vid had a buncha holes shot in it*

"Don't mistake coincidence for fate, brotha."

Okay, so nobody added "brotha" to the end of that. Just wait until Des says it inevitably down the line, then it'll be canon.

xgene wrote:
Next ep:
Spoiler:

not so excited about the main stuff. More of the Jack and "the others" subplot for that episode as the end of this last ep with the tv sparked my interest, something that hasn't happened in a while. The ep is just another excuse for another character ship episode told and shown in a slightly different way. Even though its my fav ship, if you can even call me a shipper, I know it's another excuse to show more skin and further the stereotype that **** is a tool for shipping. Out of respect to Aislynn I won't get into that again as both Hobbes and I have gang beated her in the first ep thread.

*gives a cookie to Aislynn if she ever reads this* sorry, they're not as good as yours

My appreciation for recalling the drubbing that Kate and I took after the first ep. *takes cookie* Mmm-mmm, it's delicious!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: