Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Are there any free movie makers other than WMM?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alienangie
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Are there any free movie makers other than WMM? Reply with quote

I am so sick of WMM crashing and freezing on me, then I got almost to the end of one vid, and it crashed, and has now decided it cant find ny of the clips I used even though I havent moved them!

I cant afford to pay for one, so I was hoing that there were other free ones that I could download and give a try.

Thanks for the help

Angie
xxxxx
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know there aren't any, but you could always download programs like Vegas without paying. But just let me tell ya this - I once downloaded Vegas and found it way too difficult. If you got it, it'd be like re-learning everything about vidding, because its a completely different concept to WMM. WMM may freeze a lot more times, and get confusing as if it deleted your clips by itself, but usually its something you accidentally did. This still makes WMM crap, but I've learnt to just leave things and try and figure out why stuff happens and now it hardly ever screws up for me. So before you try to switch to something that'll probably be more difficult, try WMM one more time.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wicked tutorial for vegas: http://lostvideo.net/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=3869

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know my comrades are into Vegas, but its way too expensive for me. I have it (cough, without paying) on my computer simply so I can make the vid go backwards if I want. I make the reverse pieces I want then make AVI's out of those and put them into my all-over program, Cyberlink Powerdirector, which does not yet have the reverse thing.

I hunted around for the perfect application, and even though it doesnt have everything, Cyberlink Powerdirector is probably the best youre going to get for under $100. Ive done all my vids (except my first, done on WMM) on it. I love it- its SOOO easy to use and has tons of effects and transitions. I recommend it highly. www.gocyberlink.com.

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oo yes RS I second that. I used Power Director after using WMM and have to say it is just as easy and doesn't crash. It has some awesome transitions. I made my World on Fire vid with the fiery transitions and my Edge of the ocean vid with the different ripple effects.

I use it to encode stuff now as it has a really good and fast engine for that. It also has a dvd creation tool on it. I'm gonna try that out later
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - Ive downloaded Vegas but cant get it to work, it keeps freezing when I try to register it

Angie
xxxxx
Warrior Princess
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the best freeware software is ABCvideoroll. I dont use it any more as I got Ulead Video Studio with my video camera, but I foudn it simple to use and completely free. The only problem you can get is that even now and again it prompts you to register, and as the person who created isn't online any more, you cant do that so you just have to put up with it. it only has simple transitions and effects but it does the job.
The output files are Quicktime compatible, but the downside is that they are huge sizes. My fix for that was (as movie maker freezes on me also) is to render the file in ABCVideoroll, then put it into a project in movie maker or any other video maker you have, and render it again, which compresses the file size completely. That's what I did until i got video studio!

~*As days go by, my heart grows cold... so take me, and let me in...don't break me, and shut me out...*~
phoenix39
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any free movie makers other than WMM? Reply with quote

alienangie wrote:
I am so sick of WMM crashing and freezing on me, then I got almost to the end of one vid, and it crashed, and has now decided it cant find ny of the clips I used even though I havent moved them!

I cant afford to pay for one, so I was hoing that there were other free ones that I could download and give a try.

Thanks for the help

Angie
xxxxx

Do you have version 1 or version 2? Go to Help-->About Wondows Movie Maker and something like version 2 or Service Pack 2.

Back when I had version 1, it sucked and was freezing. Now that I have upgraded, it hasn't frozen so much.

Save your work every five seconds. That's what I do.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: Are there any free movie makers other than WMM? Reply with quote

phoenix39 wrote:
Back when I had version 1, it sucked and was freezing. Now that I have upgraded, it hasn't frozen so much.

Save your work every five seconds. That's what I do.

Glad to hear it's not freezing on you so much! And same thing with me about the saving thing. I try to hit save just about every time I make a change. Annoying but better than realizing that everything you've done for the past hour or so has just been wiped out.

If anybody ever hears of a free editing program that works better than WMM, I hope they'll tell us about it!

Until then, all we can do is just try to help each other, huh?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: