Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game of Thrones (books & TV show)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:

It's funny, too, because in S1 I wasn't shipping anyone on the show (well, maybe Varys/Littlefinger a bit ) and now I'm starting to like more and more possible ships like Sansa & Sandor or Dany & Jorah. (Dany & Jon would make a pretty hot couple, too, imo but I don't know if the books are going there??)

Nothing wrong with Varys/Littlefinger! Can't get enough of those two. They are probably some of the best cast in the show aswell which is great.

I think the closest to a definite and somewhat respectable ship so far is Shae/Tyrion and maybe Sam/Gilly. However I do really enjoy the ships where it is below the surface like Sansa and The Hound. It's nice to have a mix. Jon does get some romance in the future and looking forward to that

KajaM wrote:
I was quite confused about Bran telling Osha about his dream with "the sea coming to Winterfell"... does that mean Jojen and Meera won't be on the show??? I was so looking forward to seeing those two!

I really like them too.. it's a shame really as I'm not too fond of Osha on the show or in the books, but it seems like she is taking their place :/
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:
I was quite confused about Bran telling Osha about his dream with "the sea coming to Winterfell"... does that mean Jojen and Meera won't be on the show??? I was so looking forward to seeing those two!

The buzz on the various boards is that they will be written in later. I just don't really see the point of bringing them in after everything that's about to go down when in the book instead of before, like in the book. *shrug* I hope they don't write them out, though.

Quote:
Concerning Sansa & the Hound:

I'm totally with you here, Julia: That last moment with Sansa & Sandor in the second book was so powerful!! I hope it will be on the show and I hope they'll do it right!

At first, the idea of Sansa & Sandor really grossed me out, but I'm slowly beginning to like it. I mean, she is still way too young for him, but I like the idea of him being protective of her.

I was the same way! I didn't ship anyone when I watched S1, but when I read book one after, I was totally intrigued with Sandor/Sansa's first scene at the tournament of the Hand. That piqued my interest and from then on I was really paying attention to the way they interacted. Their scene at the end of book two was what sealed it for me, but I still wasn't into anything romantic between them given that she's only like 12 or 13 in the books. However, I do like that she's older in the series--still not old enough, though. But I still love the weird dynamic between them. They're clearly attracted to each other for their different reasons, even if it's not really necessarily a romantic or physical attraction. I've read a couple of good fics that take place when she's older than sixteen, one wasn't finished, though, which is a bummer because it was really good.

Quote:
Concerning Theon:
Currently, I hate Theon almost as much as I hate Joffrey & Cersei. I see what you mean though, Julia: He feels like he doesn't truly belong anywhere. He's not a "real" Greyjoy anymore, neither is he a Stark. I despise him for his deeds though and I can't imagine feeling much sympathy for him, but I guess we'll see...

Yeah, there was a time when I never would have thought any sort of sympathy for him would be possible for me. GRRM is so amazing that way. I can't wait to see if you change your mind, too!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Nothing wrong with Varys/Littlefinger! Can't get enough of those two. They are probably some of the best cast in the show aswell which is great.

Yeah, they've chosen two really excellent actors for Varys & Littlefinger!
Paul, I really hope you'll find a song for a vid about those two!

Quote:
I think the closest to a definite and somewhat respectable ship so far is Shae/Tyrion and maybe Sam/Gilly. However I do really enjoy the ships where it is below the surface like Sansa and The Hound. It's nice to have a mix. Jon does get some romance in the future and looking forward to that.

I don't care much for Shae/Tyrion, to be honest - apart from maybe Tyrion's worries about Shae and the demons of his past that Shae reminds him of. I still have my doubts that she is really more than "just" a whore who's after his money but I guess that may still change in the third book?
Oh, and yeah, I almost forgot about Sam/Gilly... they're geeky love!!!!
As for Jon, I'd currently bet on that red-haired wildling woman from book 2... what was her name again?

I haven't started with the third book yet (although I'm not sure if I can really wait til the end of S2 ), but I have a feeling that

Spoiler:

Sansa will be somehow involved with Loras Tyrell, seeing that Renly is dead now. Well, in some way she could be pleased about that since he is that pretty type of knight in a bright shining armour that she's always been dreaming of. Too bad for her that he's gay though...

Quote:
Yeah, there was a time when I never would have thought any sort of sympathy for him would be possible for me. GRRM is so amazing that way. I can't wait to see if you change your mind, too!

I know what you mean.
I never liked Jaime much on the show, but in the books

Spoiler:

- especially during that moment in book 2 where Catelyn confronted him in his dungeon cell - I just loved him! I'm so looking forward to his POV in book 3!

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I have no more patience and sympathy left for Theon. No, just no. I see his inner conflict, but I can't help. I just hate him so much! I wonder if the books will manage to change my mind but right now, I don't really see it happening anytime soon. The way he killed Ser Rodrick was just horrible!
I loved the performance of the boy who plays Bran though. My god, he was heartbreaking!!
Oh, and they finally gave Osha a moment to be brilliant! About time!!

The scene with Arya, Littlefinger and Tywin Lannister was really interesting, especially since it never happened in the book. I was so scared for Arya that Littlefinger would recognize her.
And I couldn't help but laugh out loud at Jaqen's second deed. Arya sure knows how to always get herself in trouble!
(Btw, I love Arya's haircut. She looks so adorable with it!)

OMG, that wildling girl. She's got some nerves! I giggled so much!

I remember the riot at King's Landing being one of the most nerve-wracking parts of the second book. On the show, it was even more horrible.
But yay at the Hound saving Sansa! I was so looking forward to this! I will go down with this ship, that's for sure! <3<3<3

Wow, what was that with Dany's people being killed and her dragons stolen??? That never happened in the book!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KajaM wrote:
Ok, so I have no more patience and sympathy left for Theon. No, just no. I see his inner conflict, but I can't help. I just hate him so much! I wonder if the books will manage to change my mind but right now, I don't really see it happening anytime soon. The way he killed Ser Rodrick was just horrible!

When Rodrick said he'd be seeing Bran's father soon I was almost welling up, that was great. It's really cool how you feel for even the minor characters because they are so well envisioned and casted. Hopefully they bring back Syrio Forel cause we never saw him die.

KajaM wrote:
The scene with Arya, Littlefinger and Tywin Lannister was really interesting, especially since it never happened in the book. I was so scared for Arya that Littlefinger would recognize her.
And I couldn't help but laugh out loud at Jaqen's second deed. Arya sure knows how to always get herself in trouble!
(Btw, I love Arya's haircut. She looks so adorable with it!)

I loved all the Arya stuff this week. Appreciated the humor of Lorch just falling flat on his face with a dart in his neck. Jaquen is growing on me too. Has he got a german accent Karolina? That's what I thought anyways. Shae has one too, doesn't she?

Quote:
OMG, that wildling girl. She's got some nerves! I giggled so much! I remember the riot at King's Landing being one of the most nerve-wracking parts of the second book. On the show, it was even more horrible.
But yay at the Hound saving Sansa! I was so looking forward to this! I will go down with this ship, that's for sure! <3<3<3

Hee Hee. I loved that. Rose Leslie is the actor's name. I think she's perfect as Ygritte.

The Hound was bad ass taking out those rapists! I was like cheering for him lol I was worried for a second that Sansa would go the way of Lollys in the book, but thankfully that didn't happen.

Quote:
Wow, what was that with Dany's people being killed and her dragons stolen??? That never happened in the book!

I know, right? I was like holy moley. For a second I thought Xaro had orchestrated it somehow because we know his motivations in the books. I have to say I really like Xaro in the show. In the books he's kinda scary and creepy, but on the show he's great. It's got to be the warlocks who have her dragons now..

Spoiler book two:

Spoiler:

Looks like Dany will be on to the House of the Undying! Can't wait!

I did quite like the changes they made this week. They basically rocketed the storyline along in a believable way, while still maintaining some of the scenes from the book. They do seem to have to do this with so little episodes in a season.

The taking of Winterfell happened too quickly. We could have at least seen Theon take out some guards and scale the walls or something.

How epic does Iceland look? It takes my breath away. So glad they filmed on location because it really helps with the believability.

I really hope they cast the Reeds next season because they are very important. I'm sure I read somewhere that the producers have held off some book 2 characters for season 3, so hopefully that's the Reeds
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really expecting to hate this episode based on all the changes I'd heard about. I'm going to have a really hard time compartmentalizing the books from the show, I think. It's funny because my husband said it was like a slightly AU GoT universe, and that's so true.

Well, I have to say I didn't dislike the episode as much as I expected. I ended up liking the Sansa scene alright even though I was dreading that change. If I remember correctly, in the books they were all on horseback and he eviscerated some guy who was about to pull her off her horse, and I know they couldn't have had them all on horseback on the show because it would have been dangerous for the actors, meaning that they'd have to use stunt actors and all sorts of trick photography and CGI, which would have made it too costly to do. That said, I get why they did it. I think it would have been pretty anti-climactic if he just had to push someone out of the way or something. It was still pretty hard to watch, though.

I loved Tyrion going all ape sh** on Joffrey, as well as the look on his face when Myrcella was leaving and Cersei was saying she hoped one day he'd love someone so much, etc. You could just *see* the "I already know that feeling, you stupid wench!" in his eyes. I love that he didn't say it, though.

Speaking of hard to watch, Ser Rodrick's death scene was so heartbreaking. The little boys who play Bran and Rickon are AMAZING!!!

At first I didn't like that Osha slept with Theon (I don't recall that being in the book but I might be wrong) but when it went right into them escaping already, I was okay with that. I thought it all played out well. I was just shocked we're already to that. Oh, and the way they did it totally loses the suspense of thinking Bran and Rickon are dead. I hope they are at least going to run into the Reeds elsewhere. I was surprised when Roose mentioned Ramsay and that they could send him to re-take Winterfell. I was beginning to think they were going to merge the two characters, so I'm glad that's not the case.

The Littlefinger/Tywin/Arya scene just baffles me completely. From an entertainment standpoint it was kind of exhilarating because you're just hoping he doesn't see her. I couldn't focus on anything they were saying. But then--is it just me, or did he not only see her face but know exactly who she was? I'm really not even sure what to think about that. On the one hand, I can see Peter keeping that to himself for later use, and then he just doesn't get back in time to do anything about it. On the other hand it just seems to change things a lot. He loves to be the guy who knows things others don't and he likes to show that knowledge off. I just can't imagine him not telling someone at some point, even if it's way after the fact and no longer matters. So, meh.

Even though it's not how Amory Lorch died in the books, I did love his death scene. That was kind of epic! I was freaked because I was so worried Arya was about to be in big trouble, so that was pretty awesome. <3 Jaqen <3

The stuff I didn't like was Jon and Dany's stuff. I kind of thought Dany just came across as petulant, which I didn't like, and I'm just not on board with the stolen dragons storyline. It just makes no sense to me and I can't understand why it was necessary. Plus, now she has almost no one left.

I thought Jon's scenes were pretty lackluster. I find it odd that they go light speed through some stuff, but we had to spend ten minutes watching Ygritte grind Jon. That was pointless and unnecessary. I really hated that a lot. They would have done better to just stick with how things happened in the book and move that storyline at least to the point where they are being pursued by Rattleshirt. I didn't understand why he then pursued her, because that just takes it even farther from what happened. Maybe that's their way of explaining how Rattleshirt finds them. I don't know. I guess I'll wait to dislike that until I see where they're going with it. I was really looking forward to Jon/Ygritte and I love the actress (Downton Abbey!) but their scenes kinda turned me off.

So, those are my thoughts on that. LOL!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excuse me while I have a little fangirl moment here concerning book 3....

Ahemmmmm... ok, I'm back

Soooo....

Spoiler:

Jorah finally kissed Dany! Eeeeeeeeee!!!!! About bloody time!!!

Loved, loved, LOVED that moment!!! I think I had the biggest and dumbest grin on my face while it happened.

I don't think it'll last - like most things in this saga - but I'll enjoy it while I can. In fact, I actually believe that Jorah might be the one to betray Dany "for love", according to the prophecy, in some way. Well, we'll see....

Ok, now back to the last episode:

Quote:
Hopefully they bring back Syrio Forel cause we never saw him die.

He is dead in the books though, right? Or does he return at some point??

Quote:
The taking of Winterfell happened too quickly. We could have at least seen Theon take out some guards and scale the walls or something.

I know!!!
I mean, it DID happen according to the book, i.e. Theon suddenly appearing in Bran's bedchamber. On the show, however, it did have a bit of a comical touch to it... Theon explaining to Bran how and why he is taking Winterfell like... well, like to a little child. Reading that scene in the book, however, I remember being so shocked and scared and not at all amused about it.

Quote:
Jaquen is growing on me too. Has he got a german accent Karolina? That's what I thought anyways. Shae has one too, doesn't she?

I love Jaqen more and more, too. At first I thought he was a bit of a dumb***, but he's a lot smarter than he seems.
And yes, you can tell that he has a German accent. With Shae though, I thought that she might be Polish/Eastern European of some kind, at least judging from her accent. I was surprised when I found out that she was, in fact, German

Quote:
I ended up liking the Sansa scene alright even though I was dreading that change. If I remember correctly, in the books they were all on horseback and he eviscerated some guy who was about to pull her off her horse, and I know they couldn't have had them all on horseback on the show because it would have been dangerous for the actors, meaning that they'd have to use stunt actors and all sorts of trick photography and CGI, which would have made it too costly to do. That said, I get why they did it. I think it would have been pretty anti-climactic if he just had to push someone out of the way or something. It was still pretty hard to watch, though.

Yes, you remember correctly: The Hound was on horseback and Sansa was right in the middle of the crowd. Some guy was attacking her, but the Hound was able to save her last-minute.
On the show, the almost-rape and Sandor gutting that one guy were indeed hard to watch. I really don't like it when they take things to the extreme on the show.
I couldn't help it though... Sandor's "you're alright now, little bird" line just melted my hopeless fangirl heart

Quote:
At first I didn't like that Osha slept with Theon (I don't recall that being in the book but I might be wrong)

Nope, it wasn't. In the book, she offers Theon to be one of his soldiers and asks him to put a spear in his hand. There weren't any "sexual favors"
It suits Theon though, doesn't it? He's such a "manwh***", in my opinion.

Quote:
I just can't imagine him not telling someone at some point, even if it's way after the fact and no longer matters. So, meh.

Yeah, I totally agree. I doubt that Littlefinger does know any loyalty at all, not even to and in the name of his beloved Cat. I wonder how that'll play out on the show. It's probably no good for Arya though!

Quote:
I kind of thought Dany just came across as petulant, which I didn't like,

She was probably just desperate, but I agree that she came across as petulant. A friend of mine, who doesn't read the books, argued that she is becoming a bit of a female version of Visery with all the moaning and complaining ("I want my throne! I want my ships!") and I can't really blame her for thinking that way, can you?

Quote:
I was really looking forward to Jon/Ygritte and I love the actress (Downton Abbey!) but their scenes kinda turned me off.

Well, the thing that irks me is that they sometimes make Jon look like a really dumb kid on the show... and he's even quite a bit older than in the books, but in the books he seems a lot smarter. It's annoying!

Oh, one more thing concerning book 3:

Spoiler:

I have a VERY strong feeling that Catelyn will not make it to the fourth book. I was, in fact, surprised that she still lived by the end of the second book.
I wouldn't be too sad if she died, to be honest. It's not that I don't like her, but it feels like her story isn't going anywhere and I'm always frustrated when I see that the next chapter is a Catelyn chapter.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:
I was really expecting to hate this episode based on all the changes I'd heard about. I'm going to have a really hard time compartmentalizing the books from the show, I think. It's funny because my husband said it was like a slightly AU GoT universe, and that's so true.

Your husband is spot on. It's just super hard to contemplate that fact as a book reader when you're of the mind that book=canon and anything else is BS.

Quote:
Oh, and the way they did it totally loses the suspense of thinking Bran and Rickon are dead.

I don't think that's gone. In the book don't they leave before those kids get killed? At least that's what I remember anyway. We were supposed to believe that Theon captures them and has killed them. Theon's using that as an excuse to stop looking after them else why would he be looking in the first place?

Quote:
The Littlefinger/Tywin/Arya scene just baffles me completely. From an entertainment standpoint it was kind of exhilarating because you're just hoping he doesn't see her. I couldn't focus on anything they were saying. But then--is it just me, or did he not only see her face but know exactly who she was? I'm really not even sure what to think about that. On the one hand, I can see Peter keeping that to himself for later use, and then he just doesn't get back in time to do anything about it. On the other hand it just seems to change things a lot. He loves to be the guy who knows things others don't and he likes to show that knowledge off. I just can't imagine him not telling someone at some point, even if it's way after the fact and no longer matters. So, meh.

Littlefinger is a very complicated character. He is serving the Lannisters but he presumably has some kind of allegiance to Catelyn, and also I think he wants the Tyrells to be in power over the Lannisters. I definetly thinks he notices Arya and has chosen to keep it to himself. If Cersei puts another knife to his throat he might well spill but for now, while it doesn't serve himself, he will keep stum.

Quote:
Even though it's not how Amory Lorch died in the books, I did love his death scene. That was kind of epic! I was freaked because I was so worried Arya was about to be in big trouble, so that was pretty awesome. <3 Jaqen <3

I thought it was hilarious I love when we get those touches of humor in the show. I will absolutely lose it if she chooses Tywin next though. Not too bothered about Amory Lorch or the Tickler dying earlier.

Quote:

I thought Jon's scenes were pretty lackluster. I find it odd that they go light speed through some stuff, but we had to spend ten minutes watching Ygritte grind Jon. That was pointless and unnecessary. I really hated that a lot. They would have done better to just stick with how things happened in the book and move that storyline at least to the point where they are being pursued by Rattleshirt. I didn't understand why he then pursued her, because that just takes it even farther from what happened. Maybe that's their way of explaining how Rattleshirt finds them. I don't know. I guess I'll wait to dislike that until I see where they're going with it. I was really looking forward to Jon/Ygritte and I love the actress (Downton Abbey!) but their scenes kinda turned me off.

It was a bit random and pointless with the chase and such, but I do think they are doing an excellent job of working the major storylines into the show while sacrificing some of the details of the books. I love Ygritte already so the actress helped a lot too.

Holy quotes, batman!

Karolina.. I don't know what to say about Syrio Forel but from what I remember it plays out pretty much the same way in the books and we don't see him die. Whether he appears or possibly appears spoiler:

Spoiler:

He doesn't appear but even if he's dead in the books.. he was such an awesome character on the show they may decide to resurrect him and I would be cool with that.

Concerning Catelyn.. there's some epic stuff coming with her so hopefully you enjoy that. I've grown to really like her on the show. The actress is one of the better actors I think.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh hey I wanted to share this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLMydhMqWDQ George RR Martin reads nursery rhymes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karolina, we need to start the Hopeless Hearts for the Future Sansa and Sandor fan club.

LOVE the video, Paul!

Polarbear wrote:
It's just super hard to contemplate that fact as a book reader when you're of the mind that book=canon and anything else is BS.

That's so true! I'm having a really hard time compartmentalizing, but I'm going to find a way to deal with it, because I still love the show, even if it strays.

Quote:
I don't think that's gone. In the book don't they leave before those kids get killed? At least that's what I remember anyway. We were supposed to believe that Theon captures them and has killed them. Theon's using that as an excuse to stop looking after them else why would he be looking in the first place?

You're absolutely right! I completely flubbed that one. I don't know why I forgot how that went down in the books. Phew!

Quote:
Littlefinger is a very complicated character. He is serving the Lannisters but he presumably has some kind of allegiance to Catelyn, and also I think he wants the Tyrells to be in power over the Lannisters. I definetly thinks he notices Arya and has chosen to keep it to himself. If Cersei puts another knife to his throat he might well spill but for now, while it doesn't serve himself, he will keep stum.

Ooo, good points!

Quote:
I thought it was hilarious I love when we get those touches of humor in the show. I will absolutely lose it if she chooses Tywin next though. Not too bothered about Amory Lorch or the Tickler dying earlier.
People on various message boards I've been to are also concerned her next name will be Tywin, but I don't think they'll do that. I think he plays too important a role for something like that, and I get the feeling they know what a prize they have in Charles Dance.

Quote:
Karolina.. I don't know what to say about Syrio Forel but from what I remember it plays out pretty much the same way in the books and we don't see him die. Whether he appears or possibly appears spoiler:

Spoiler:

He doesn't appear but even if he's dead in the books.. he was such an awesome character on the show they may decide to resurrect him and I would be cool with that.

I totally agree!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way Julia I was like WTF when her dragons were taken and I was rather sad Irri gets killed because she doesn't have a Dothraki handmaiden anymore now which sucks, or much of her Dothraki crew either. I much preferred Irri on the show to Doreah.

On the one hand it's nice to get some action for Dany, but also it's a pretty drastic change from the books. I'm willing to see how it plays out though and very excited to see the next destination for Dany.
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I just watched it tonight with my mom and she said, "tell me the dragons are going to be okay!" And I had to explain that I assume they will be, but can't say for sure since this didn't happen in the books.

It was funny re-watching it, seeing just how much of that episode was made up of fabricated scenes.

One thing I caught on the re-watch among other things--did you two notice after Myrcella's send-off, when Joffrey says, "Come on, Dog," to The Hound, he flashes the most fed up look at the back of his head as he passes. I thought, "Wow, he has seriously had it with that little sh..." Hahaha!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
One thing I caught on the re-watch among other things--did you two notice after Myrcella's send-off, when Joffrey says, "Come on, Dog," to The Hound, he flashes the most fed up look at the back of his head as he passes. I thought, "Wow, he has seriously had it with that little sh..." Hahaha!

Me too, me too!!!
I'm SO looking forward to the things yet to come for Sandor, but I have a feeling that the character will change quite a bit... for the better, hopefully.

Julia, by the way, I found some fun stuff on tumblr for us to squeeeee about:

Spoiler:

I have a question concerning Arya in book 3:

Spoiler:

Is she a warg, too? Just like Bran???

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="KajaM"]
Quote:

I have a question concerning Arya in book 3:

Spoiler:

Is she a warg, too? Just like Bran???

Spoiler:

Yeah she is but with Nymeria not being around, she hasn't tapped into it as easy as the others. I think all the Starks have a connection to their direwolf in that way at least. Bran just seems to be more adept at it. Poor Lady died too so Sansa hasn't had much special powers either.

Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

best show on TV right now.

find me on tumblr: http://m--tyrell.tumblr.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Other Fandoms Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 6 of 11

Jump to: