Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If this bill passes, there won't be any more fan videos.
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: If this bill passes, there won't be any more fan videos. Reply with quote

Hey all,

Just wanted to bring up this issue that is being debated in congress right now regarding copyrights. In attempt to prevent "illegal" downloading on the internet, the new protect IP act will censor sites on the internet, and posting music or footage online could earn everyone a 5 year prison sentence. Even singing a cover of a song would be illegal.

Yes.
This is really happening.

Everybody should sign this petition, because it may effect the future of fan vidding.

http://americancensorship.org

http://www.youtube.com/geminivids
tjmack1986
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I signed. thanks for posting, I had no idea!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While this is an actual issue, I have heard that Obama has said he'll veto the bill if it passes through Congress.

I don't think it's anything to worry about, but by all means sign away!!

art by me&tammy
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something that's such a HUGE issue for we vidders, I can't believe that we didn't hear anything about this until right now!

This thing is truly scary, not just for the impact it would have on American-based vidders, since it would essentially block us from both uploading our vids as well as ever WATCHING any further vids, but for the simple fact that it would place such a huge censor on our ability to access the Internet! That goes against everything the US has ever meant to me, it just boggles my mind that something like this has even gotten so far along in the legal process!

HobbitRockGod wrote:
While this is an actual issue, I have heard that Obama has said he'll veto the bill if it passes through Congress.

I hadn't heard that but I can tell you, if it passes and he vetoes it, he'll seriously have my gratitude for ever and ever. The idea of losing not just my ability to make and share my own vids but for it to become illegal to even watch any further vids, that really scares me. And then just the impact on free speech and a free Internet...

Man, this is a horrible thing and it's got a lot of really powerful support behind it. I'll be so grateful if we Americans can escape from this with our vid making and watching abilities still intact!
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I was pretty shocked to hear they'd even consider such a thing!! I am glad to hear that Obama says he will fight the bill, because I think it's a horrible idea!!

I heard about it from my Interactive Media class I have at college, I would have had no idea either. I thought I'd share with you all here, because I think as fan vidders it effects us creatively and I would hate for it to become a reality.

eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so incredibly scary, isn't it? It's heartbreaking on so many levels, not only because we'd lose LVI and sites like YouTube would be crippled. (And even sites like LiveJournal--no more fan communities, no more icons of things you didn't make yourself, no more fan art... it's truly upsetting) But to me the scariest thing of all is that things have grown so dark in the United States that something like this would even be considered, let alone receive widespread support from some pretty high places.

I did a little digging, though, and Obama did threaten a veto, but this is still something to keep an eye on because there is no guarantee that this will resolve favorably for us, and it's not likely to just go away if it fails once.

Here's some good info/other articles if anyone is interested:

What it's all about:

http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/protect-ip-act-stop-online-piracy-act

http://www.techdirt.com/blog/?tag=internet+freedom

http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/250888/20111116/sopa-stopped-5-things-know-controversial.htm

The latest News:

http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/10/senate-to-vote-on-net-neutrality-repeal-today-obama-counters-wi/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/sopa-stop-online-piracy-act-lawmaker-opposition-grows-as-debate-heats-up/2011/11/18/gIQADBdQZN_story.html?tid=pm_business_pop

http://articles.cnn.com/2011-11-18/tech/tech_web_sopa-online-privacy-backlash_1_anti-piracy-bill-web-freedom-music-videos?_s=PM:TECH
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for bringing this to our attention, Sara, and thanks for all of the links, Julia! I'm hopeful that these bills won't go through or if they do, they'll be successfully vetoed by the President. *fingers majorly crossed*

But I think this is still a very close call for vidders and something that we'll need to be on the lookout for in the future because if this fails, they'll definitely try again. Just hopefully next time fanvids won't get lumped in as being the same thing as selling bootlegged copies of movies or providing full movies and albums for illegal downloading because we're most certainly NOT!

Just because this is an American issue at present, you can't underestimate what sort of impact this eventually would have on the rest of the world. We've always been proud of our freedom of speech and expression and so if WE end up with our Internet censored and things like fanvids made illegal to even watch with high fines and potential jail time... how long do you think it will take other countries to follow? I never in a million years would've believed that something like this could have almost happened here (and we're not out of the woods yet ), don't underestimate the chances that it could one day happen to you, too.
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it's almost like they are trying to be the Nazis of the internet. This has already happened in China where the government can automatically shut down a site. It could occur to FaceBook, YouTube, Tumblr and even Twitter, because they will be liable for hosting illegal material. Tumblr in particular has been supporting this anti-movement.

I think it's silly to think that someone appreciating art and entertainment would be considered criminal. It's a violation of our freedom of expression, and as Ais said, it's only a matter of time that the rest of the world would follow the USA's lead.

Other experts suggest that with this change, it could potentially make the internet a whole lot less secure from outside intrusion. Honestly I can't think of any way that this benefits anybody. It's greedy companies and out-of-touch with this generation council members that are pushing for it.

I can only pray that this does not come to pass, because I think it would be devastating.

Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS Is going on in Washington right now?

There's a ware, most of us don't have jobs, healthcare; and an issue is 'making sure people don't make fan vids'?

RIDICULOUS.

5 years in jail for this? Again this is bull shit.

There are real criminals out there; and they're worried about THIS?!

I'm with Aislynn. I'll LOVE him because HEY I vid. But I'll also have respect for him as a Present because I think he knows there's some BIGGER shit out there; and he needs to pick and choose his battles wisely.

To be honest there are actors/'Famous People' who like watching vids; and get ideas from our vids. I wish they';d step up.

Evangeline Lilly used to watch fan vids during the last few seasons of Lost to get back into character.

Hart Hanson got the idea of how to do Bones intro between seasons 3-6 from a fan vid.

ABC had the finale season of Lost a contest on who could make the best vid.

There are higher up supports and I wish they'd speak up.

But seriously Obama...you have bigger fish to fry and me getting my jollies off by making Kate and Jack have a baby in video format shouldn't be one of them.

Oh yeah...I signed.

I think this is a huge mistake.
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really great vid about the SOPA bill. Caution: I think there might have been some colorful language here and there, but I don't recall for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JhwuXNv8fJM
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAY!!! SOPA is shelved!

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/115265-U-S-Congress-Shelves-SOPA
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GIF PARTY of AWESOME!!!!!!!

Seriously though there are more serious things going on adn they need to focus on that and not who's making fanvids of their favorite TV shows. IF that is the worst thing people do in our world we'd be better off.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that's FANTASTIC news! Hopefully any and all bills in the future that rely on censoring the Internet will get shot down in a similar fashion (and sooner so it doesn't scare the heebie-jeebies out of all of us! ).

Thanks so much for passing that link on, Julia!
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if THIS one was shut down if it'll be even harder to get it to congress.
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad it got suspended because really, it's stupid to try and stop things involving the internet when there are more pressing issues out there. There are people going missing, being killed, the war is still going on in different countries and these people are more concerned about fan videos and others a like?

By taking this away from all of us, they're taking away our freedom of speech (one way or another) when we express of our likes for movies, TV shows, music and much more through our fan videos and artwork. By taking that away from us, we wouldn't be able to do that and those subjects won't get FREE advertisement at all from us expressing their music and other things.

It's dumb that they would try and do that. I really do hope it doesn't happen again because it's just a waste of breath, time and effort.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: