Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

March Contest Information

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:44 am    Post subject: March Contest Information Reply with quote

March 2011
Contest: "Story, Story, Hallelujah!"
Deadline: March 31st

The Details:

Have you ever wanted to see your favourite book come to life? This is the contest for you!

This month; we want you to take your favourite book, create your own dream cast, and tell us about one of your favourite fictional stories. Here's the fun part - the cast can be from ANYWHERE! Not just Lost! We're working towards getting the site multi-fandom; so this comp is another great chance to start getting LVI ready for the future. Create your own Bella Swan, Harry Potter or Katniss Everdeen! Cast your own actors/actresses to play the roles and tell us about a portion of the book, or the whole series, a favored character, etc

Suggestions:
+ a full book recap/overview
+ a full series recap/overview
+ a chapter recap/overview
+ a character arc
+ a memorable plot twist

Anything goes!

All we ask for this challenge is that, when casting your crew, that there is at least ONE Lost character in the cast; however if you choose two non-Losties as your leads and just pick Losties as the minor cast; that's fine too! We just one some Losties in the bunch while we're still LVI! However, if you want to cast every one of your characters as a Lostie; then that's fine, too!

With books that have already been made into movies/tv shows (eg. Twilight, True Blood, Harry Potter, The Vampire Diaries, etc), we ask that you not use any of the footage from that show/movie.

For example, if you're telling a Twilight story with a new cast for the contest, no footage from the Twilight movie series can be used. However, you can use footage from The Vampire Diaries (or any other shows/movies that deal with similar subject matter to that of your chosen book) to get across the same point. We want it to be fair to all vidders seeing as not every book has been made into a movie/tv show; and we want everyone on a level playing field

Have heaps of fun! We're really excited to see your interpretations of your favourite stories!

The Rules:

Specific Contest Rules:
• - Make a video based around the storyline (series, chapter, character arc, etc) of ONE of your favourite fictional books/series.
• - Non-Lost footage is allowed.
• - No trailers/promos.
• - Running time should be no longer than 3-6 minutes.
• -The more creative, the better. Don't be afraid to take risks.
• -When entering your video on the Submit page, you MUST enter "March 2011 contest submission" exactly in your vid's description.

General Contest Rules:

• -Contest submissions should be entered through the Submit page.
• -All regular submissions rules apply.
• -Only one entry per vidder.
• -Videos already submitted and RELEVANT can be submitted again, but we would rather see something fresh. (Please contact a CM if you wish to enter a previously-submitted video)
• - Please do not use Rapidshare or Yousendit as your only hosting place.
• - If you're using Youtube as your primary link, please also provide us with an alternative link. Far too often, YT is either disabled or muted by the time the contest is ready to be judged. Mediafire, zshare and Megaupload are just a few of the sites out there that can be used as reliable backup links.
• - Keep in mind that however you choose to host your video, it must be available to be watched at least until after the deadline has passed. If we can not access your video at the time of judgment it will not be considered.
• - Have fun!

HobbitRockGod
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man....this looks SO awesome, I might have to give it a shot. *runs to start picking a book*

art by me&tammy
ciaimpala
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh wow very cool! I just made a vid for one of my favorite books, so I'm going to have to pick a different one now...hmm...I'm going to see if I can pull this off, and if not I'll just love seeing all the amazing entries!

Quick question: can I use audio footage from the movie?
Spoiler:

I want to do And Then There Were None, and I want to use the speech from the gramophone recording.

Can we use audio from a book on tape recording of the book? Or can we record the audio ourselves and use it?
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Becca, we'll get back to you with answers as soon as we can.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2011 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for your questions, Becca...

ciaimpala wrote:
Quick question: can I use audio footage from the movie?
Spoiler:

I want to do And Then There Were None, and I want to use the speech from the gramophone recording.

Can we use audio from a book on tape recording of the book? Or can we record the audio ourselves and use it?

To keep things on a level playing field for books that don't have a movie adaptation, then we have to say no for using even audio footage from a movie. Also, the same for the audio from a book on tape, since there still are some books out there that haven't been made into an audiobook.

However, that would definitely be fine if you recorded yourself reading whatever lines you wanted from the book itself. That would be pretty cool!

Good luck and we can't wait to see what you come up with!
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that this is SUCH an amazing idea! This is high on my list of the most fun contest ideas I've seen yet. I wish I'd had an idea/had time to join in this month. I definitely can't wait to see th entries!

Julia
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eloramoon wrote:
I just wanted to say that this is SUCH an amazing idea! This is high on my list of the most fun contest ideas I've seen yet. I wish I'd had an idea/had time to join in this month. I definitely can't wait to see th entries!

Aw, thanks, hon! If you should get suddenly inspired, just let us know and we'll be glad to extend the deadline! So far we don't have a single entry.

Hope that you're all working away at your entries out there! There's still plenty of time to make the deadline or to request an extension!
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked out my cast! That was the more annoying part for me, deciding who to be who, but now I have it, and i know my storyline I think... hopefully this becomes a vid

Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished and submitted my entry for the contest.

I don't know if it was my computer of a glitch on the site but I lost the site and got kicked off internet 3 times before I was able to sucessfully submit my video. Each time it seemed to happen when I would submit my vid pic.

This is one of my favorite contests.

I'm looking forward to seeing other people's entries.

Macaila
ciaimpala
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm so sorry for some reason I never got the notification that you had replied to my questions! Stupid e-mail

Thanks so much for the answers! I totally understand. I think I might see if I can figure out recording myself-my mom is a storyteller so I do have a flair for the dramatic lol.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anybody else trying to make the deadline on this one? If so, please let us know as soon as possible so we'll hold the door for you!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: