Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

December Contest Information
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: December Contest Information Reply with quote

December 2010
Contest: "We Wish You A Merry Christmas"
Deadline: December 24th - yes, this is an earlier deadline than usual, but we'd really like to have all the entries in by Christmas!

The Details

Christmas time is here again, and here at LVI we want to see just how Christmas-y you can be!

The challenge this month is simple - make a Christmas video about our Losties! Anything goes, as long as it puts you (and us) in the Christmas spirit! You can show Desmond & Penny have a family Christmas with young Charlie, or a Christmas romance with Sun & Jin! AUs are welcome - you could make a vid showing Claire & Miles celebrating the holiday with the children! Your video can be on-island, off-island, set in the past, present, or future.

As for music, any Christmas song will work! Here's a list from Wikipedia if you need some help: Christmas Music

The Rules

Specific Contest Rules:
• - Make a Christmas video to a Christmas song.
• - No trailers, OCs (Original Characters), or crossovers, with other fandoms.
• - Footage of Lost actors in other roles is allowed.
• - Running time should be no longer than 5 minutes. We suggest the 3 - 5 minute range.
• - The more creative, the better. Don't be afraid to take risks.
• - When entering your video on the Submit page, you MUST enter "December 2010 contest submission" exactly in your vid's description.

General Contest Rules:

• - Contest submissions should be entered through the Submit page
• - All regular submissions Rules apply.
• - Only one entry per vidder
• - Videos already submitted and RELEVANT can be submitted again, but we would rather see something fresh. (Please contact a CM if you wish to enter a previously-submitted video)
• - Please do not use Rapidshare or Yousendit as your only hosting place.
• - If you're using Youtube as your primary link, please also provide us with an alternative link. Far too often, YT is either disabled or muted by the time the contest is ready to be judged. Mediafire, zshare and Megaupload are just a few of the sites out there that can be used as reliable backup links.
• - Keep in mind that however you choose to host your video, it must be available to be watched at least until after the deadline has passed. If we can not access your video at the time of judgment it will not be considered.
• - Have fun!
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2010 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a note: You guys may want to change the "Christmas music" bits in here to "holiday music," as at the moment it reads a little specific per Christianity -- and the Sun and Jin bit strikes me as odd, as the characters were more likely to have been Buddhist or non-religious, unless I missed something within the show where they expressed beliefs in Christianity. No offense meant, either to the mods or to the faith!
rosey_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^Yeah I agree, Sayid for one was vocal about his Muslim beliefs.

Is it okay if i use this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYxhIW7qthA
it's kind of Christmas-y
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to make an issue of it: I'm normally not kneejerk anti-Christmas or anything (having celebrated it as a secular holiday all my life), but the wording just quibbled me a bit, though I'm sure it was in no way intentional!

If I get my vidding mojo for Lost back (still angry about the finale), I am totally claiming Weird Al's The Night Santa Went Crazy.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rosey_angel wrote:
Is it okay if i use this song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYxhIW7qthA
it's kind of Christmas-y

Rosey, yes, you may use that song.

About the other issue... I admit, it took me a little by surprise that this was taken to mean we were making a comment on the characters' religious beliefs or somehow disparaging religions that don't or people who don't celebrate Christmas by making this a "Christmas contest."

It honestly just means what it says on the tin: Christmas-themed videos to Christmas-themed songs, however you want to interpret that. Our last 3 December contests, (2007, 2008 and 2009) were all Christmas contests also. For lack of a better way to put it, Christmas is the style of vid we're asking for.

However, if anybody finds the term offensive, then we'll certainly understand if you want to sit it out. That's definitely your prerogative.
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I'm not saying it was intentional or even offensive per se: The block of 'Christmas' without a 'holiday' in there just read a little oddly to me, so I figured I would state it, or else I'd be staring at it for a month. You know me in terms of things like that, Aislynn. It didn't read as disparaging, just a little bit awkward.

The 'Sun and Jin = Christmas' was the first thing that drew my eye though, as, if hazy memory serves, we don't have any evidence the characters were Christian (or any other religion or lack thereof) and so I read the post in light of that, which cast a bit of a pall on the rest of it.

I don't find the holiday or use of the word offensive (since, as mentioned, I celebrate it), but could I ask for a couple 'holiday's to be sprinkled up above as well? To me, anyway, it would read a bit less forcefully if there was acknowledgment of other holidays.

(And heck, I don't know if I was even around for those other contests...)

Peace out.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want us to outline that Christmas is a holiday? Surely that's a given that people don't need reminding of Anyone whose participated in our contests knows how we roll, interpret the write up how you want, that's what it's there for. It's a guideline.

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I'd just suggested a little more inclusiveness in terms of the phrasing, since it read as slightly exclusive, though unintentionally so. I'm not saying to take away the mentions of Christmas, only to expand the description of the contest a bit so it wasn't quite so specifically focused upon a sole holiday. But we're talking in circles now, so I'll duck out of the thread.
EMMALOUISE
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm guessing this will be a no but ... could i use Ellie gouldings your song :)It's probs going to be christmas no 1 if that makes any difference if not i have a few more ideas, i love christmas comps
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to entering.I love Christmas and Christmas vids.

Macaila
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EMMALOUISE wrote:
I'm guessing this will be a no but ... could i use Ellie gouldings your song :)It's probs going to be christmas no 1 if that makes any difference if not i have a few more ideas, i love christmas comps

Emma, while that's a great song, it's really not a Christmas song (doesn't mention anything about Christmas, holidays, or any of the sort of traditional Christmas-y things in the lyrics ). So if it were me, I think I'd look for something else for this particular contest.

I'm with you, Macaila! I always love seeing what everybody comes up with for the Christmas contests!
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I submit my Jate Silent Night vid?
I wasn't sure if I wanted to submit it since it was made for Becca....and I thought maybe I could make another Christmas vid for the contest but I'm kind of all vidded out at the moment.
http://lostvideo.net/viewvid.php?vidid=8217

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I added it in for you, Nikki!
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank You

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a reminder that the deadline for this contest is Dec. 24th, next Friday!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Contest Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: