Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Sony Vegas feat. a beginner's tutorial
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 51, 52, 53  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charmed_charlie wrote:
Does anyone know how to use textures over a video?

Like this:

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=UpM6J9hxCjE

You know, I really don't know how to make that work like that! I'd love to know! I've tried just basically putting a texture as an overlay over the clips and turning the opacity down but that doesn't give this sort of an effect. This much more like changing the layer properties in Paintshop (multiply, burn, screen, etc.) and I have no idea how to get Vegas to do that! Or maybe Baby Vegas just can't do it. Or maybe I'm totally off on the wrong track, lol! Wouldn't be the first time!

Anyway, sorry that I have no answer for you, Charlie. I hope somebody else can tell us both!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thankies Ais for trying to find out for me
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Theres a button on the video track controls called video compositing or somehting and you can change the track to hard light and stuff like that I think that might be how you do it.
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering how to do it for a while, but I think I figured out how to Not sure if its exactly the same as the example though If you save a grunge texture (or whatever texture you want) as a .png file on photoshop then import the file to vegas and just put it on a video track dunno if that makes any sense lol

theres some textures that I use that are free you can download them from here get the .png ones

I used a heavy one for the example, obviously some look better than others.

Hope it helps / is what you meant lol

Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankies I'll try that
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, thanks for the screencaps and everything, Emma! That was awesomely done and very clear and understandable! Thanks again!

You know what messes me up? No matter what I do, .PNGs never have any transparency to them when I import them into Vegas! They always have a white background. Even .GIFs don't retain their transparency. So whenever I use something like that, I have to put a blue background under it, save it like that, then when I import it into Vegas I use the chroma keyer to remove the blue again but it often keeps a weird "halo" around the texture that I don't like.
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm, What program do you use for your images Ais?
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure Vegas supports photoshop files so you can just save it as a photoshop file and import it into vegas and it should have the transparent background. Would have thought Baby Vegas would too.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

.png also support transparent backgrounds which Vegas uses easily. Plus, unlike .gif you don't lose a lot color quality.
Fjorton
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime i zoom in a clip the black bars around the clip change sizes...can someone tell me what i should do so it won't happen, please?
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

charmed_charlie wrote:
Hmmm, What program do you use for your images Ais?

Paintshop Pro 8

Polarbear wrote:
I'm pretty sure Vegas supports photoshop files so you can just save it as a photoshop file and import it into vegas and it should have the transparent background. Would have thought Baby Vegas would too.

I was checking into its accepted files types and yep, Baby Vegas can open .psd files. I gave Paintshop's .psp file (the equivalent to Photoshop's .psd) a try but Vegas doesn't recognize it. Paintshop can save into .psd but it flattens it into one layer so doesn't leave any transparency.

But! I got to poking around in Paintshop and found that you can run an optimizer on .png when you save it and preserve the transparency! Yay!!! Here's my "test cookie."

PNG with transparent background save the regular way:

PNG with transparent background saved with optimizer:

Yay!!! *does cartwheels* This will be SUCH a great thing to know next time I need it for an effect! Sometimes using the Chroma keyer just doesn't work as well as I'd like, you know?

Anyway, thanks a bunch, Charlie and Paul!

Fan4Lost wrote:
.png also support transparent backgrounds which Vegas uses easily. Plus, unlike .gif you don't lose a lot color quality.

That's so true! Every time I've tried .gif you just lose a ton of quality and it always picks up artifacts.

GIF:

Thanks, Steph!

ETA: I also checked into track compositing like you mentioned, Paul. Baby Vegas only has one method, using the alpha channel but can't do hard light, multiply, screen, etc. That's available only with the full Vegas. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

So that probably is how people are coming up with those cool-looking light and texture masks, Charlie, by using track compositing.
meandi
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm doing a vid about Chase/Cameron in House MD. And this time up and working with Vegas
Anyway the song I'm using is kinda beat-use-friendly ("Untouched").... and I've come up with a way to make it kinda easy to make small flashes at the beats, and that is by making an empty text thingy over the video and match all those so they match the beats (most often it's the same beats all the time in the same song, of course) and I was just wondering... I came up with this and I'm just about to try and see if it works, but I haven't read anything about it anywhere so I'm just wondering - are there gonna be any problems for me doing it this way rather than the "cut in the clip and make a flash and time it"-way? And if you guys know about this since years back, then just ignore me

Here's how it looks

...so, basically I just wanna know that I'm doing this right
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fjorton wrote:
Everytime i zoom in a clip the black bars around the clip change sizes...can someone tell me what i should do so it won't happen, please?

I think that goes away when you render it in a ratio that's 16:9 ... and actually I'm curious about the very same thing, so please someone , heeelp

Skönt att det inte bara är jag som är lite ny på Vegas
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johanna, I think that's a very clever way to handle the beat use! I haven't tried that yet myself but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work! I don't watch House very faithfully but I do watch a lot of House vids for some reason, lol! So I'll definitely check it out when you have it done! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Fjorton wrote:

So sorry I missed your question the first time around!

That's likely caused because your footage is probably 320x240 with the video rendered onto it, which makes those bars appear at the top and bottom like it's all one part of the image. Now, I know you can set the pan/crop tool to widescreen by going into pan/crop and selecting preset 16:9. But you'll have to do that to everyone of your clips and that'll get old fast.

If it's only a few of your clips that need to be changed, then you could probably do that one at a time but changing them for your entire project would be a lot more tiresome. Does anybody know of a way to do that on a wide-scale basis? Changing the properties of the project would just stretch the clip and leave it with the bars rendered onto it...

If nobody has a better way to do it, you could do what I've done before in a couple of situations like that: I took a screencap of one of the clips on the timeline, then opened that into Paintshop (or whatever graphics program you have), then removed just the Lost footage in the middle, either by erasing it and making it transparent as a .PNG (if you can get .PNG to be transparent for you, it's taken me a long time to figure out how to do that, lol! ) or by coloring over the footage with blue, then using the Chroma Keyer to remove the blue. Whichever way you do it, you're basically creating a widescreen mask that you'll stretch over the length of your vid over your video footage. That way, no matter how you zoom on the footage itself, the black bars will give the illusion of staying still.

Sorry not to have an easier method at the moment!
meandi
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Johanna, I think that's a very clever way to handle the beat use! I haven't tried that yet myself but I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work! I don't watch House very faithfully but I do watch a lot of House vids for some reason, lol! So I'll definitely check it out when you have it done! I'm looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

Ah thanks! I'll try it then, so far it looks like it's working good. Cool you're looking forward to it, maybe I'll be able to finish the vid this month, lol! A Lost one is on the way btw, just on hold a bit
(Oh, a bit off-topic - you've missed out on a great show House is awesome! And Jesse Spencer (Chase) is hot! )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 41, 42, 43 ... 51, 52, 53  Next
Page 42 of 53

Jump to: