Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

LVI 4.0 COMING SOON (bad news and a promise)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 4:27 am    Post subject: LVI 4.0 COMING SOON (bad news and a promise) Reply with quote

I just had to inform the council what Enchirito and I just discovered and now it's time to let all of you know what is going on.

Most of you are aware of our recent server problems and I regret to inform all of you that our service provider has deleted all of our videos . Enchirito and I have made the decision that we have to let go and let LVI 3.0 RIP.

Which leaves the council at a place where we have a lot of decisions to make. The main site design will remain but there are no actual videos there. We are taking LVI back to the drawing board and reconceptualizing it.

We will return with a fully operational site just as quickly as we can. This time we want to take the time to work out all of the kinks to provide you guys with the best possible site. The forum isn't going anywhere so help keep LVI alive in the fandom and let everyone know about the message board. We will live on through here.

The April contest will continue on and we will still judge your videos. If you have any questions about anything or ideas or concerns don't hesitate to let us know.

And if any of you want to send our service provider hate mail, good for you .

Right now I am giving all of you my word that LVI is coming back and it WILL be better then ever!

LVI Revolutionizing Fan Video Making!
www.lostvideo.net
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is quite possibly the biggest disaster this horrible service provider could bestow upon us... I assure you all that the site can be back up fairly quickly, but it will take a LOT of work, mostly with the menial task of copy>pasting. The worst part is there are only 4 of us, many of us busy at times, so it leaves us with a lot work to spread out. I'm not saying I'm asking for any... nor do I expect any, nor do I know if we really CAN implement a way to... but anybody who'd like to volunteer to help us out with this would have my utmost thanks V.V I'll even invent a name: the LVI Clean-Up crew
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uruviel
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

This really sucks to have happened to your site. I've had a site for about 8 years and have been through many different servers and many MANY problems. I know what a pain it is to start over from scratch after you've had a big site going. I will be happy to help however I can--copy-/pasting, whatever. I'm a pretty experienced webmaster, and I'm online at odd hours, mostly in the middle of the night, so if you'd like to e-mail me about anything you'd like me to do, I'll get right to work on it around midnight CDT tonight.

I LOVE LVI and I really hope yall can get everything back up ASAP.
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I'm not sure what you need as far as help, I'm more than willing to lend a hand.

Got some webmaster experience myself.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay turns out we don't need any of tht help at the moment. The video information is still stable and up on the site, it's just the videos themselves that need to be uploaded, and we'll handle that I suppose. Right now we're more preoccupied with thinking up a way to save bandwidth so that it will actualyl last, now that the bittorrent idea is blown out of the water...
there MAY be a way we can go back to bittorrent, but we would need a lot more support in the form of people who seed the videos, and that's just a hard thing to get, even from the most loyal members
Thanks to both of you for offering to help, however, it means a lot. If we ever need some webmaster tips and Enchiito isn't around, I'll be sure to ask you two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok because ur all trying to figure out how to get the site back up and running again (you know with the bandwidth, bittorrent and stuff) does this mean that you'd like us to hold off alittle while with sending in our vids that arn't the contest vids. Just asking to make sure is all. You know l don't wanna piss any of you's guys off with you know "Oh Holly's sending in another vid, god can't she wait at least until the site is back up and running." l know that ur all super busy at the moment. So you know l don't wanna add to anymore of your guy's problems right now. And if you still are accepting videos, well then l'll upload it tonight on YSI and e mail it in.
Anyway if someone from the council could get back to me about this question l'll so appreciate it. THANX
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We talked about this last night and we all decided that it would be best if you guys hold off on sending us video submissions right now. For the next few days we want to focus completely on getting LVI back up and running as quickly as we can while setting up a new format that will allow it to run longer without changes. There are a lot of ideas running around the council room so as soon as we can pull all the ideas together and come up with a working system we'll work on uploading the videos back to the site.

Our main goal moving into 4.0 is to formulate a system that will make things less chaotic for Enchirito, bring LVI to an even higher quality, and ultimately be better off for the fandom. This is going to take some work but I promise you we are all hard at work on this and with 4 of us we should hopefully be able to come up with a speedy solution.

As soon as we feel the chaos has died down and we're at a good place with LVI we'll open back up to submissions so just hang onto all of your vids until then. We enjoy watching all of the submissions so as soon as we reopen be sure to send them to us. In the mean time you can put them into a YSI link or whereever and post them in Hobbes Hosting Hut.

I made a promise to bring LVI 4.0 to you guys better then before and I belive the council backs me up on that promise so we are working to do just that for you. We'll be back and better then ever!

www.lostvideo.net
Charmax
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2005 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't been around for a while and it's a real shock to hear what happened with the LVI server. B@&!ards!

I really hope you manage to sort it out soon!

Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok just wondering if and when you'll know when we can fineally send in our vids...cause l have 2 at the moment to send in and l'm just anxious as you can see...lol. Or shall l just post them on HHH.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

send them in now I suppose. We have three judges with time on their hands still, so we'll vote on your vids. If they don't go through for a while, then you'll know that one of us voted differently from the others, so we need a tiebreaker, which could be a while, until Enchirito and/or Lostcalier are unoccupied with renovating the site (well, more like Enchirito, but Lostcalier is fairly busy as well). If they go quickly, then you'll know it was either 3 votes yes or three votes no sorry if it's the later.
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oaky-Doaky Hobbes. Thanks BTW. l just sent both of them in.
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holly, could you resend them, but this time attach them to the email instead? For some reason, YSI has been COMPLETELY screwing over for me, not even working at all. Plus, we're gonna end up needing to ask you for the links again in a week if they pass anyway! lol
Hollywood
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
Holly, could you resend them, but this time attach them to the email instead? For some reason, YSI has been COMPLETELY screwing over for me, not even working at all. Plus, we're gonna end up needing to ask you for the links again in a week if they pass anyway! lol

Ok what email are you talking about cause if you're talking about my msn email, l won't be able to cause the files are too big to send through there. l could send it in Dropload but it's only avalible for one download. Any ideas?
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uhhh... get a gmail account? lol
Are you sure? What's your limit for MSN email? Most providers are supposed to send files of 10MB or less
lostcalier
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can speak from experience, MSN Hotmail sucks. Holly I agree with Hobbes you need a gmail account. They convinced me to get one and I never turned back. We can send you an invite for it if you're interested.

www.lostvideo.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Site Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: