Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some Sad News...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Some Sad News... Reply with quote

Quote:
CAIRNS, Australia -- Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

Irwin was famous for his enthusiasm for wildlife and his catchword "Crikey!" in his television program "Crocodile Hunter." First broadcast in Australia in 1992, the program was picked up by the Discovery network, catapulting Irwin to international celebrity.

He rode his image into a feature film, 2002's "The Crocodile Hunters: Collision Course" and developed the wildlife park that his parents opened, Australia Zoo, into a major tourist attraction.

"The world has lost a great wildlife icon, a passionate conservationist and one of the proudest dads on the planet," Stainton told reporters in Cairns. "He died doing what he loved best and left this world in a happy and peaceful state of mind. He would have said, 'Crocs Rule!'"

Prime Minister John Howard, who hand-picked Irwin to attend a gala barbecue to honor President Bush when he visited in 2003, said he was "shocked and distressed at Steve Irwin's sudden, untimely and freakish death."

"It's a huge loss to Australia," Howard told reporters. "He was a wonderful character. He was a passionate environmentalist. He brought joy and entertainment and excitement to millions of people."

Irwin, who made a trademark of hovering dangerously close to untethered crocodiles and leaping on their backs, spoke in rapid-fire bursts with a thick Australian accent and was almost never seen without his uniform of khaki shorts and shirt and heavy boots.

Wild animal expert Jack Hanna, who frequently appears on TV with his subjects, offered praise for Irwin.

"Steve was one of these guys, we thought of him as invincible," Hanna, director emeritus of the Columbus (Ohio) Zoo and Aquarium, told ABC's "Good Morning America" Monday.

"The guy was incredible. His knowledge was incredible," Hanna said. "Some people that are doing this stuff are actors and that type of thing, but Steve was truly a zoologist, so to speak, a person who knew what he was doing. Yes, he did things a lot of people wouldn't do. I think he knew what he was doing."

Irwin's ebullience was infectious and Australian officials sought him out for photo opportunities and to promote Australia internationally.

His public image was dented, however, in 2004 when he caused an uproar by holding his infant son in one arm while feeding large crocodiles inside a zoo pen. Irwin claimed at the time there was no danger to the child, and authorities declined to charge Irwin with violating safety regulations.

Later that year, he was accused of getting too close to penguins, a seal and humpback whales in Antarctica while making a documentary. Irwin denied any wrongdoing, and an Australian Environment Department investigation recommended no action be taken against him.

Stingrays have a serrated, toxin-loaded barb, or spine, on the top of their tail. The barb, which can be up to 10 inches long, flexes if a ray is frightened. Stings usually occur to people when they step on or swim too close to a ray and can be excruciatingly painful but are rarely fatal, said University of Queensland marine neuroscientist Shaun Collin.

Collin said he suspected Irwin died because the barb pierced under his ribcage and directly into his heart.

"It was extraordinarily bad luck. It's not easy to get spined by a stingray and to be killed by one is very rare," Collin said.

News of Irwin's death spread quickly, and tributes flowed from all quarters of society.

At Australia Zoo at Beerwah, south Queensland, floral tributes were dropped at the entrance, where a huge fake crocodile gapes. Drivers honked their horns as they passed.

"Steve, from all God's creatures, thank you. Rest in peace," was written on a card with a bouquet of native flowers.

"We're all very shocked. I don't know what the zoo will do without him. He's done so much for us, the environment and it's a big loss," said Paula Kelly, a local resident and volunteer at the zoo, after dropping off a wreath at the gate.

Stainton said Irwin's American-born wife Terri, from Eugene, Ore., had been informed of his death, and had told their daughter Bindi Sue, 8, and son Bob, who will turn 3 in December.

The couple met when she went on vacation in Australia in 1991 and visited Irwin's Australia Zoo; they were married six months later. Sometimes referred to as the "Crocodile Huntress," she costarred on her husband's television show and in his 2002 movie.

http://www.wral.com/apentertainmentnews/9786683/detail.html
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heard about it when I got off of work today. A proud father and passionate wildlife expert, he will be missed...maybe not by all...but by MANY. R.I.P. Croc Hunter.
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never considered myself a fan of his. I had nothing against the man, but I just never watched his stuff. But today when I heard the news, I felt really kind of choked up about this. Not to the point of crying or anything, but the news was certainly unsettling.

I think it has to do with his demeanor. When a singer or an actor dies I usually just think, "Oh, that's too bad." But he had such a cheerful personality that it's really terrible to think about him dying in such a tragic way. In a cynical world, his bright and joyous personality was not only refreshing, but a rarity. How sad to see him go so soon.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, he was really fun and was such a brave guy, so it really is a shame in that way, even though I haven't watched the show much either.
But at least he went out with his boots on.. err... fins.

I don't know, for some reason this hits home more than John Ritter's passing away or other's. Normally I wouldn't really care about celebrities, but this guy was just really great. So he gets a topic here lol.

Quote:

I think it has to do with his demeanor. When a singer or an actor dies I usually just think, "Oh, that's too bad." But he had such a cheerful personality that it's really terrible to think about him dying in such a tragic way. In a cynical world, his bright and joyous personality was not only refreshing, but a rarity. How sad to see him go so soon.

Yeah, I think you're dead-on with that KC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first time I saw one of his shows, I was going through a kinda bleak part of my life and I guess I just channel-surfed onto his show and stopped to try and figure out what this crazy guy was doing. And I sat there and just started to laugh because, like you said, KC, he just had such a joy about him. He was SO enthusiastic about that croc or that snake or whatever; it wasn't a fake, put-on sort of thing.

So I watched the show every week pretty regularly for a long while, just because you'd get this zany jolt of energy. Or at least, you'd feel a little more sane yourself for a while, lol! I haven't watched it so much recently, but I've always thought of him fondly for "being there" when I really needed something to shake me out of the blues (despite the whole "holding the baby while feeding the croc" incident ).

In one way, I think I always figured that something would get him, but it would be in a weird way, like a helicopter crash while he was heading up to the top of a mountain to rescue a snake or something like that. This was just a dumb accident and I really feel for his family.

Thanks for making a whole thread, Warren.
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's sad but like you guys, doesn't mean much to me...it bothers me that people are putting turtles at the front of MSN names and crap when they didn't know him and weren't even fans...they don't care, they're doing it cos he was famous. Incredibly nice people die every day, they don't get this kind of thing.

But it is sad he died so young. I always found him to be annoying to be honest, since he was making everyone think that's exactly what we're all like (when I went to America this guy asked me if I knew him! ). But he did do some really good things, like opening that wildlife park/zoo. I feel really sorry for his family, apparently he was filming a thing for his daughter's new show.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not because he was famous really. If Bill Gates or Donald Trump were to kick the bucket, I wouldn't care, and I've watched every Apprentice season so far scarilly enough .
Steve was just a fun, friendly face that invaded our homes via TV and made people smile. He may have been annoying sometimes, but even that got people laughing. The guy was genuine, or at least I choose to believe he was. That's always something special, and deserves at least a little bit of fond remembrance I think. You don't have to be a big fan, or know him well to still be a little sad at this all. Even if it means being a little conformist

(but thanks for the posting even though you weren't that fond of the guy anyway Marcus) (as Creator of the Topic lol)
Spiral Static
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I have never considered myself a fan of his. I had nothing against the man, but I just never watched his stuff. But today when I heard the news, I felt really kind of choked up about this. Not to the point of crying or anything, but the news was certainly unsettling.

That's the same with me really. I didn't watch his stuff very much, never had been a huge fan. But my little brother LOVED him, so I had seen it a few times. But even without being a huge fan, I was really saddened by the news. Because he was such a cool guy. He was so enthusiastic about everything.
And even though he had such a risky job, you don't expect him to die, especially not so young. I don't know why, I guess he just seemed invincible to me.
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dunno what exactly you mean by "Genuine", but yeah, it is sad and he did do a lot to help animals etc. aswell as to entertain people.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
meandi
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was actually very chocked when I heard the news. Okay, the word "chocked" can mean a lot of things but it was very, very sad to hear.
I've watched the Croc Hunter since I was like 5 years old and I've a-l-w-a-y-s been stunned by who he is (...was.) and his great passion for nature and animals. I actually got touched when I watched the show once and he cried becuase his croc died, and I almost cried myself... I have always believed he's a good guy and my thoughs go to his family. But just that he died that way was just really weird, I always thought he was going to be eaten by a croc or something. Well, he didn't suffer. It's really creepy though, being pierced through the heart. Aouch.
My friend lived in Australia a couple of years ago and she is very sad he's gone. Australians must be devastated too, at least some of them. I mean, Steve was like the Australian icon in the world, everytime I hear an Australian speak I think of him but he hasn't left this world without making a difference.
I sure will miss his accent, and I hope his show will be aired on TV again sometime soon.
Rest in peace, Steve Irwin...
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a little bit about him in my livejournal.
http://super-kc.livejournal.com/19071.html
Mars

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked what you said KC.

In addition, he was man who truly lived life passionately well. We should feel guilty for that as well - for not living life as passionately as he did. I'm sure he died feeling he had done what he really wanted to do. How many of us can say that?
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mars wrote:
I liked what you said KC.

In addition, he was man who truly lived life passionately well. We should feel guilty for that as well - for not living life as passionately as he did. I'm sure he died feeling he had done what he really wanted to do. How many of us can say that?

Wow, you are just so right. He really is one if the few people on this earth that lived his life just as he wanted, and followed his dreams. Gosh, I feel so sorry for his death. We've really lost someone great.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aparently his contract stated that if he ever died whilst being filmed they were to show it on air and the video shows him trying to pull the barb from his heart
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbexter93 wrote:
aparently his contract stated that if he ever died whilst being filmed they were to show it on air and the video shows him trying to pull the barb from his heart

Yep, apparently he pulled it and then died just seconds afterwards... gosh, he knew what was going to happen... I feel soo sorry, just as KC wrote I have no idea why, but his death has really affected me.

But THIS has really p---ed me off! How rude can one get? Okay, he had his crazy ideas, but he DID make a change and he DID affect me.
So, according to this know-it-all lady, I'm an idiot.
http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/TV/09/06/death.irwin.greer/index.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: