Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Vidding Struggles

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Vidding Struggles Reply with quote

Alright, I'm sorry if there's already a thread like this because I haven't seen it, but I was wondering... when you guys are working on a Lost video, or any video for that matter, how do you go about it? What do you do when you get writer's block during vidding? Any methods or techniques to help your creativity? Just curious.

sig by IslandofMystery
leylin
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, what I like to do is when I get stuck, (depending on the kind of vid.) I listen to what lyrics come next and what the whole song is actually about (again, asuming it has lyrics or is about something). If your still stuck after that, then I would take the main theme (do they like eachother in the vid? are they in a fight? ect.)( for instance if its about 2 charicters like charlie and claire) and just put clips to the beat of the music.
Hope that helps!! whats the vid about that youre stuck on? maybe we could give you specific help?

good luck!!

just to let everyone know,
me + spelling = hjansbdadfk;a
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

leylin wrote:

Hope that helps!! whats the vid about that youre stuck on? maybe we could give you specific help?

Well, I made this thread also so that we could talk about methods and help each other, not just me, and secondly I want my video to be a surprise. I'm very secretive, and this is another attempt of mine, LOL. But what I'm mostly stuck on is getting enough clips of certain characters talking out of the dozens of little clips piled around in my video waiting to be edited, and I'm just getting scatter-brained and some parts I can't even think of what to put there, and also it's another really long song so I'm going to have to cut down a lot of it, but getting it to sound natural and where I should cut it will also be challenging. Basically, a lot of things. But I just wanted to hear from other vidders what they do and how they deal with creative vidding problems.

Thanks for replying.

sig by IslandofMystery
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually when I get stuck on a vid, it means I've taken a wrong turn in the story I'm trying to put together. A lot of times I've just tried to tell too complicated of a story, something that's going to be beyond my ability to convey without actually being able to film my own scenes, lol!

So when I reach a point where I know there's something wrong, I usually back up to the last place I know I was happy with in the vid and then try to see if I can tell where I went wrong. It can also mean that I've missed some small but important detail that would've tied everything together.

When I did "Stockholm Syndrome" I wasn't happy with two of the animations I'd done in a couple of early scenes but I kept vidding past it. But I got more and more unhappy with the way it just didn't seem to all come together. I finally came to a total stop, just absolutely stuck on where to go next. Then at last I thought of using Kate's plane to tie things together and went back and replaced those early animations so that the plane was involved with them.

Most of the time when I get stuck, I just have to give it a few days and keep listening to the song and just sort of letting ideas mull about in my head. Eventually, something usually will spring to mind that will get me past the rough spot.

Although I've also ended up having to quit a few vids that I really wanted to do but just could never "solve." *waves sadly to KC's Jate request and Warren's Space Oddity contest vid*

Vidder's block is just as ugly a thing as writer's block. Sometimes it seems to me that it just means you need to take a break and walk away for a little bit, then come back fresh.

Not sure if that answers your question or not but, in Hurley's words, "Dude, that's all I've got..."
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, that was really good advice, Aislynn. All of it. I knew that I just had to stop and give myself a few days, but with my impatience and eagerness to make it and finish it before I end up quitting on it, I sometimes tend to ignore that instinct and try to press on. But when I went away and had a snack, and then thought about the song, I came up with the most frickin' brilliant ending ever. And I can't wait to submit it just for the ending I've fitted in.

So I can see that your advice is really useful. As harsh as some of it can be, to me at least. Thanks, both you and leylin.

sig by IslandofMystery
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Distress Signal wrote:
So I can see that your advice is really useful. As harsh as some of it can be, to me at least. Thanks, both you and leylin.

Oh, I didn't mean to be harsh! I was so totally thinking about my own vidding struggles, I didn't think any of it would sound harsh to anybody else!
Distress Signal
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
Distress Signal wrote:

Oh, I didn't mean to be harsh! I was so totally thinking about my own vidding struggles, I didn't think any of it would sound harsh to anybody else!

I didn't mean it that way. It just made me think more critically about my own vid. You didn't say anything wrong.

sig by IslandofMystery
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, Ais. You're so mean lately jk
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's not fun to do take a break or don't do it. It should always be fun!
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol poor Ais
I do the same thing as Aislynn though, when I hit a snag.
Usually, I go one routes:
If I still like the story I want to tell, and I just hit a snag at one spot:
back up to the last part, and change the story. If there's not really a story, or I think it's just getting too boring, I try to do something really original that's worth the space, e.g. the last half of Horoscope for Today. Since, if a vid's point is already made, and all the rest of it is is just dragging it out, you might as well put something to keep the viewers interested, even if it is completely random slightly pointless (and sometimes you might like it so much you completely change what you had before it! )
Sometimes if I'm having that big a vidder's block, and I just have no idea for what to do for the song past one point, that's when I, at least, throw in the towel and move on to a new vid, at least for a little while. Gotta pick your battles sometimes And I know I can't live with my vid unless I'm happy with it when I finish.

Last edited by Hobbes on Sat May 13, 2006 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MoreLight
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also agree with the wise and wonderful Ais and the great Hobbes. As I have at least 3 unfinished (barely started Lost vids waiting in limbo). When it gets to the point of frustration you should step back and go to sleep. When you wake up the next day and go to school or work you may have a few moments at lunch or breaks to think about the problem you are having with the vid. If at the end of that day you cannot find a solution I say shelf the idea and put them in a folder or a CDRom for later use.

I think the problem of the brick wall also comes from the way you create the vid. I tend to storyboard the vids I have a timelimit on (like challenge vids or ones due for convention showings). With a crude representation in front of me of what I would like to have happen I only need to search for the appropriate scene or scenes.

As I have been forced to take a break from vidding due to a melted motherboard (should get the replacement/repair back next week sometime) I have found a plethora of other fun things to occupy my time like mow the lawn, walk the dog, take out the garbage and *GASP* read a book. I can't wait to get back into vidding though as I also upgraded my processor and vid cards which will also arrive sometime next week. (*thanks EBay!*)

Whatever happens I would go with what Jedi master Polarbear said
Quote:
If it's not fun to do take a break or don't do it. It should always be fun!

My lost music vids
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: