Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I have a question about a thing called Share Alike

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wildcat
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:49 am    Post subject: I have a question about a thing called Share Alike Reply with quote

Quote:
What is a Share Alike license?

If you’re using a track that is subject to a Creative Commons Share Alike license, the work that uses that track must also be made available to the public under the same license. For example, if the track is governed by an Attribution Noncommercial Share Alike license, any video that incorporates the track must be licensed to others under the same license. This means that others will be able to adapt your video for noncommercial purposes so long as they provide attribution and license any adaptation under the same terms.

I got that from http://vimeo.com/musicstore and I'm a bit confused understanding that very last part bolded... it's late and I get confused easily, does that mean if I use a song for one of my videos, people can take my video and share it and basically claim it as their own? or is it still mine and stuff? because I don't want someone to be able to claim a video that I work hard on ya know?

Jemmz
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I have no idea. I've never heard of Share Alike license. It seems like they're saying if someone has the same license as you, they can claim rights to your video but it seems odd to me that they'd make it so anyone can take your video and claim it as their own O_o

I just make all my videos private on Vimeo and share the link with people I trust, such as fellow LVI-ers. So maybe you could do that?
emmasholi
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds similar to YouTube's Creative Commons license to me. I think it's more for people who post original songs or films, so they can decide if people can make covers of those somgs, or distribute what they've created.

With fanvids, the water's a bit muddier, because we don't actually own the footage in the first place On YouTube I never check the Creative Commons box. I don't know if it's optional on Vimeo, or if you just automatically give the Share Alike licence by uploading (if that's what your saying). But I think I'd keep them private on Vimeo just in case

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: