Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Megaupload warning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:12 am    Post subject: Megaupload warning Reply with quote

I just saw this warning about Megaupload circulating through the Livejournal vidding community so wanted to pass it along to you guys as well. Trojan.Vundo is a BAD one (it's what completely killed my computer a few months ago ), though sometimes you can get lucky and kill it before it kills your computer like it did mine. But the best thing is to not get infected at all! So you might want to stay away from Megaupload for a bit until they get it sorted out.

Be careful out there, people! *hugs you all*
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooh, thanks for letting us know Ais! I'm a megaupload nut so i might steer clear for a bit just to be sure :]

OvariesOfSteel
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's one of the buggers that killed my computer too!

Ugh.

Banner by Sarah

Writing4aCause
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sweetevangeline
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i downloaded the latest lost ep from there this morning and then ran a scan and found nothing, but on the safe side would adise everyone to get 'malwarebytes' -- apparently it's one of the best anti-malware programs that you can download
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Omgosh, thanks Ais. I use the site as well but it should give me a warning if there was a virus trying to get on the laptop.
NepEnut
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second the 'malware bytes' idea. I got the Trojan.Vundo a few weeks ago and even after spending $50 bucks to update my anti-virus software, that still didn't get rid of it completely. Apparently, it's a sneaky little virus that can evade your anti-virus protection.

Once I downloaded the Malware Bytes, everything was pretty much taken care of. That one scans the registry and removes the virus from there, which I guess is something the anti-virus software forgets to do (or mine does, apparently...)
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to update this with what happened to me yesterday with Megaupload... I figured that it had been a few days so it was probably safe to try downloading, um, something from them. So I clicked the link that took me to MU, did the whole "enter these numbers and letters" thing, waited the however long that it makes you wait, then the download box popped up.

BUT! I was luckily watching (because I was feeling leery of MU) and saw that there were actually TWO download boxes that came up, one that was immediately covered by the "regular" looking one. When I moved the regular one out of the way, I found that it was a box to install an .exe file.

Great cheese and crackers, man! You NEVER let something put an .exe file on your computer that you're not purposefully installing yourself. Best case scenario, it's adware and you're going to get a million pop-ups and advertising bots crawling through your computer, worst case it's a virus/worm/trojan. What was really disturbing is that it was trying to come along with the download, which meant it was coming from MU, not just something that was in one of their ads!

I'm really disappointed in MU ever since they've had their "make-over." Obviously it's a lot more than cosmetic stuff that they've done to themselves, because they were always reliable in the past and now they're passing viruses and trying to stealthily install programs with your downloads? That's NOT COOL, dude!
khaleesi
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHH

I got that virus last year and it scared the crap outta me. But my dad worked on my compy and saved its life via Spybot.
nightdancer342
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh Drag! I got some sort of virus on my desktop (pop ups starting coming up by the hundreds!!!), so I have just disabled the internet completely. I deleted my internet explorer and downloaded Safari! I haven't turned the internet back on lately. Safari fixed it, it can't download anything though. lol, I'm really glad I have a laptop!

I've had a few of my computers die before. One got electrocuted (lightning storm), the other one started making funny noises, then just wouldn't turn on anymore. I think my dad tried to fix it, but he's like a computer virus himself (I don't let him know if my computer isn't working properly anymore!) lol.

Thanks for the warning!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: