Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How Hard is Sony Vegas to use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: How Hard is Sony Vegas to use? Reply with quote

I know there are threads dedicated to explaining how to use Sony Vegas but I don't have time to go through them all at this time.

Right now I am using the Windows Movie Maker that came with my computer and I'd like to get a better program with more effects,etc.I've been considering getting the Sony Vegas program.

I was wondering if someone could tell me how difficult Sony Vegas is to use compared to Windows Movie Maker. Do you make videos basically the same way, with importing clips and music and dragging and dropping them into place?

I'm not very good with computers so I just want to make sure I don't waste my money on a program I'm not going to understand.

-Im1oftheOceanic6
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly i never used movie maker so i cant compare. Really i just played around with vegas when i first got it. Id usually put clips on the time line and play with the coloring or the lighting. Really all you need to do is play around with it and youll get the hang of it. Ask questions on the way but just experiment. Hope that could help.
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'll being with saying does anyone understand Vegas right away after going from WMM?

To begin with I remember when first getting vegas and opening it up and looking at it I was like WTF? It is very different from WMM, but you can like WMM import your music and clips and then drag them onto timelines

However with Vegas there's many things that are different to Movie Maker, from the new transistions, effects to the way you can have more than one video track It's a program I would say IMO that you can't just go straight into and think that you can make a video in it as easy as windows movie maker, you definatly have to find your feet with it, and would recommend just playing with it to begin with adding a video and then messing around with it adding effect and transistions just to get used to the kinda stuff you would be using when creating a video. When with windows movie maker it comes with what 15-20 effects and transistions with vegas there's many more you can be looking at about 10 different versions of just one effect, but I would reccomend it as a progam to get because of how good it is, even though I've only ever used windows movie maker and vegas, I do think vegas is a good program if you want to take the next step after wmm

One thing I would say even though you've mentioned you don't have the time to go through the thread if you did buy vegas it would be very helpful to go through the thread because there's loads of things in there to help you understand vegas better, I know I did and it helped me understand and use vegas better.

But don't think it's this impossible program to use once you get the basics down with it and begin creating videos with it the program becomes easier to use, and you will begin to understand how to use different effects, and lots of other things which aren't possible in movie maker

Hope some of that helps [/ramble]
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing you can do is to take the 30 day trial of whichever version of Vegas you're considering buying. That'll give you a chance to kinda see if you're going to like it before you commit to it!

But, as has been said above, I think the main thing is to play around with it first. Don't expect to immediately start doing color saturated split-screens with animated text effects (or whatever) as soon as you open the program the first time. Just give yourself time to figure out the basics: how to import your material, how to cut the clips with the trimmer (the main difference between WMM and Vegas is that Vegas doesn't break your material down into clips like WMM does, you put your footage into the trimmer and cut out what you need, then drag it to the timeline ), how to apply effects and transitions, and how to get things timed to the beat. Then build on things and go from there!

The Sony Vegas All-In-One Help thread is a collection of tutorials and other answers culled from the bigger Sony Vegas help thread, with an index to hopefully make it be easier to find answers to specific questions. And there's always somebody out there willing to answer your questions if you can't find the answer through one of the help threads!

Almost everybody I know of who has tried Vegas has learned to love it, so I hope you'll give it a chance!
Im1oftheOceanic6
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the help.

Aislynn mentioned a 30 day free trial.Where can I get this from?

Also does Sony Vegas allow Real Media clips to be used?

-Im1oftheOceanic6
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trial:

http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/download/trials and just go down to vegas and you have your pick of trials

And no you can't use Real Media in Vegas
Powis97
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went from WMM to Vegas, i found it really really Hard, but i had Aislynn to help me get through it

so i can now make a basic vegas video which for WMM would be too good because WMM is the basic Basic.

It will be worth it in the long run just gotta learn all the featurs (Y)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Technical Vidding Help All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: