Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

"Dark Rabbit - The Lost Tangent" by Hobbes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:52 am    Post subject: "Dark Rabbit - The Lost Tangent" by Hobbes Reply with quote

***Automated Message***
"Dark Rabbit - The Lost Tangent" 04-24-2008
A mysterious force compels Locke to fulfil his destiny. Its name... is Frank. A Donnie Darko/Lost Crossover.
Song: Ruled By Secrecy by MUSE
Vidder: Hobbes
Length: 4:58 (30 MB AVI)

Warning: Vid is freaking CREEPY.

Link(s): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvekZblLuL0
http://www.zshare.net/video/110230387f0665ec/
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, this is a weird vid. I made 90% of it way back in December 2006, and for some reason I decided to finish it now. I originally planned to make a vid that blatantly shows all the similarities between DD and Lost, but then I got into making a story for it, and instead tried to make a Lost video that “feels” like Donnie Darko.
In other words. It's creepy, trippy, weird, and epic. Enjoy!

More explanation later (and perhaps a run through of exactly what I was thinking when I made this). Until then, say what the vid's says to you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WARREN THAT WAS FRAKKIN INSANE!!! That was so creepy and cool. Your animation is just incredible. I like Donnie Darko allot so i understood what you were trying to do with it i think. It was really really creepy, the music fit perfectly! I'm wondering what was the other 10% you worked on??? Any way that was just.... WOW! Im so glad you finished that because it was amazing!!!
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren that was insanely awesome So creepy it was great I love Donnie Darko so I thought this just rocked The music went so well with the whole tone of the video.

So glad that you did actually decide to finish this video then because it fricken rocked
fabri086
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG Warren
that was so creepy! Loooove it, and the song fits perfectly! Oh and your animation is just .. WOW!

Last edited by fabri086 on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Polarbear
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY I've been wanting to see this one for ages. And yes it was super creepy you gave me the chills. The part where you pan around the bunnies face and land on Locke is just breathtaking. Awesomesauce!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that was truly amazing! The animations were awesome - your Frank is even more creepy than the one from the movie.

Icon by ack attack
khaleesi
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Dark Rabbit - The Lost Tangent by Hobbes Reply with quote

HOLY EFFING CRAP. That. Was. Fantastic.

Seriously, I think my brain just melted and leaked out of my ears.

You are made of awesome. <3
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Dark Rabbit - The Lost Tangent by Hobbes Reply with quote

WOW, Warren! Just, WOW!!! That was absolutely incredible!!!!!!!!!! So, you did the animation yourself? You're very talented! Man... that rabbit was gorram creepy as heck, though. LOL! Really really REALLY well done. I can't wait to show this to my hubby!!!!!!!! Awesome job!!!!
nikkimonique
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! That was so trippy, freaky and WEIRD! I LOVED IT!!! I'm going to have nightmares now about that bunny!! You're brilliant Warren.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CharCassie24
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Dark Rabbit - The Lost Tangent by Hobbes Reply with quote

Oooo....awesome!!! What 3D program did ya use? Just wonderin, I'm a 3D Max/Maya user. That was so cool and creepy, and I love Donnie Darko, Yay!!!
LAURA4LAD
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was creepy as fuck-but OMGGGG so good, and you used muse!!!

I was drawn to check out LVI today by the vid g*ds cause this was AMAZING! The way you manipulated the donnie darko/lost footage was so cool. Brilliant Warren, *claps

Jake's Twin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
FrecklesPhoenix
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... as if Donnie Darko wasn't creepy enough all by itself... you had to go and bring that bunny from hell into the LOST-verse and put me into fits of terror!!!!

But the video was so good it was totally worth it. Great job on that animation too by the way (assuming you did it.../). It was very impressive. Great work. Gold from me!
KajaM
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, Warren, that was pure brilliance!!! What a crazy, yet fantastic idea... not to mention that the editing was simply superb! And I'm not only talking about the effects (which were breath-taking!!), but also about the beat use und the timing. It was so perfectly well done!
I never heard this particular Muse song before but it was a great choice for the vid.

Major kudos to you!!
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks everyone so much! I really didn't expect many people to love this, especially since it's such a weird vid that's really confined to people who know/like Donnie Darko.

Trey - haha! Thanks a ton! I'm not gonna lie, your signature was one of the reasons I said "okay, that's it. I'm finishing this thing." As for what "finishing" meant - I had to basically fill in a few animations - almost all the ones in the hatch scenes, as well as all the in-Vegas special effects, like Frank's light magic whodiddy (yes, technical term for it ) and such. Sooo, perhaps a little more than 10% lol. But still, all the clips were in place and the thinking was done, at least.

charmed and fabri - also, thank you . Yeah, I was planning on a totally different video until I stumbled upon this song. The tone, and lyrics, just fit too perfectly. And it gave me an excuse to not have to use any other audio, like I was originally planning to lol (I suck at integrating voice clips ). Plus, I love Muse.

Paul - lol thanks, and sorry I made you wait on this one so long . I just kinda... didn't like it, once I made it then . And so I let it sit on the shelf. Oh well. And yes! I like that shot too haha! I totally stole Desmond's shot, but it was worth it.

Joon - creepier than the original?! I am not worthy!

kait & elora - Again: not worthy!

nikki - heehee, I will take pride in the fact Frank's giving you nightmares .

CharCassie - Thanks! I've been using Cinema4D release 10 for modeling/animation, and a lot of the effects in the vid are Sony Vegas effects (light rays + bump maps + chroma keying = shiny). And in case you're wondering if there was any trick to the modelling - there wasn't, really. I just looked at a pic, and started pulling points lol. But Frank's body was made with a basic human figure + the C4D Hair module.

LAURA!! - OMG, how is it you managed to make it here at this perfect timing? When I posted this, I was thinking to myself "hmm, I hope Laura sees this someday. If for no other reason than the fact I used Muse". And what-do-you-know? Thanks a ton dude.

Freckles - lol, don't deny - Frank would make a pretty good substitute for old Smokie . But then they'd have to up the viewing age to account for the extra creepiness!

Karolina - awww, thanks for mentioning the editing . I haven't exactly been confident in my vidding skills for a while, what with the complete lack of experience in comparison to all of you - and the whole not-keeping-up-with-the-times. I rely on my animation to give me whatever edge it can give, but it's still nice to think I can at least hold my own editing-wise . Thanks a lot!

So, a little further explanation of the vid:

I doubt the whole "story" I was going for is interpreted by everyone the same way here, but then again - neither is Donnie Darko's lol. But if anyone's interested in "my" version here is an explanation lol

I wrote:
For those who don’t know Donnie Darko that well, the mythology of it is: a rift in time opens in reality, and one boy is chosen to close it before the world is destroyed. To do this, he is led by a spirit – Frank – through a series of events that lead up to his girlfriend being run over, and him killing Frank and destroying the alternate universe he’s in.

I think, in some way, Lost’s storyline could be quite similar to this one, if you think about it. That’s what I tried to portray here. Frank is the personification of the Island, just like the Smoke Monster. Locke is Donnie – the one given the power to walk, and chosen by the spirit to stop this alternate reality – brought on by the plane crash – from existing. Frank manipulates him, just as the island does to Locke now, into following his bidding. Frank kills Boone, whether by foretelling it, or by manipulating Locke into it (just like the island). This is enough to push Locke over the edge and do what he has to do – destroy Frank, and the alternate world he’s in. In island terms, he has to stop “pushing the button”. This all ends up with Locke killing Frank, and the alternate universe collapsing on itself. But thanks to our hero, the main universe is safe – and anything that happened in the alternate one is like it never existed.

And now, let me just leave you with this. A list of some of the similarities between Lost and Donnie Darko that I found were kinda suspicious, and almost convinced me that these two are meant to be paired:

- “Cellar Door” = the hatch
- Channel 4 once came out with a promo site: http://www.channel4.com/entertainment/tv/microsites/L/lost/untold.html
If you go there, click Jack, and follow the Black rock’s path, you’ll end up at this:

Creepy, no? And coincidence? Maybe. But soooo Donnie Darko-esque, don’t you think?
- On that note, Frank and the island’s illusion (or whatever) of Jack’s dad stand with very similar hunched-over stature, and they both have those out-of-place white shoes. I threw that in to the vid by giving Frank the whities. Thought it was fitting.
- The fact that the island *probably* possesses the bodies (or something) of the dead is exactly what happened with Frank in Donnie Darko, with dead Frank being brought back (note: that was a weird bit, with him dying in the “future” technically. That was what closed the rift, actually). Perhaps it’s not too much of a stretch to say the island is also doing it to try and get the survivors to fulfill their destiny and save the world?
- Donnie Darko ends with a plane crash. Lost begins with one. Fitting!
- “4 years, 8 months, 15 days, 16 hours, 23 minutes, 42 seconds. That is when the world will end” perhaps? Lol. Not far off from what the numbers actually stand for. Or, if you look at them as years: “4,815,162,342 years. That is when the Earth will end”, with the judged date to be about 4.6 bill right now. Not too big a stretch to imagine it’s off by a couple hundred thousand.
- Sawyer’s book – Watership Down. The same book is prominent in Donnie Darko. And other Lost books: a Wrinkle in Time and A Brief History of Time, are pretty close to the themes in Donnie Darko.
- And finally, a quote which gave me the title of this vid :
Locke: “You're hallucinating. But what if you're not?”
Locke: “I'm an ordinary man, meat and potatoes, I live in the real world. I'm not a big believer in magic. But this place... is different. It's special. The others don't want to talk about it because it scares them. But we all know it. We all feel it. Is your white rabbit a hallucination? Probably. But what if everything that happened here, happened for a reason? What if this person that you're chasing is really here?”
Locke: “The White Rabbit. Alice in Wonderland.”
Locke: “I've looked into the eye of this island. And what I saw… was beautiful.”
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: