Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A weird idea
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrecklesPhoenix
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:21 am    Post subject: A weird idea Reply with quote

I wanted to post this idea, so that I could get a feel for whether or not it will do well here (usually ideas that I think are good apparently suck).

First of all, any Stephen King fans here?

Well, I was thinking of doing a Dark Tower theme with LOST. (Because there are so many parallels between the two, i.e. Charlie=Eddie Dean, Locke's faith in destiny=Roland's faith in Ka etc.

Or just a vid that draws parallels between LOST and ALL of King's work, seeing as LOST rips him off all the time (which is part of the reason I LOVE it so much!!!).

Here are some examples:

In The Stand there is a character named Larry Underwood who is a rockstar/one hit wonder who is addicted to heroine. (Charlie anyone??)

In Salem's Lot, Father Callahan is a fallen priest who seeks redemption just like Eko.

In The Green Mile (one of my personal favorites) John Coffey is a black guy with healing powers and some phycic abilities similar to Walt. (A particular instance in which Wild Bill grabs Coffey's arm and John sees what he's done sounds familiar to an instance involving Locke and Walt before the opening of the Hatch...)

Etc.

What do you think?
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a HUGE Stephen King fan, but I've never read the Dark Tower series, or, in fact, most of the books you've mentioned (which makes me a pretty crappy fan, huh?) but I think it'd be interesting. If nothing else, it makes for a good discussion. I can't believe I never thought about the similarity of Walt and John Coffee. I think mainly because I spent so much time focusing on the parallels between Coffee and Christ... that's one of my favorite discussions ever...

This is really fascinating to me--please give some more examples if you have more! I love opening my mind when my mind won't do it on its own...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
FrecklesPhoenix
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistojen wrote:
I'm a HUGE Stephen King fan, but I've never read the Dark Tower series, or, in fact, most of the books you've mentioned (which makes me a pretty crappy fan, huh?) but I think it'd be interesting. If nothing else, it makes for a good discussion. I can't believe I never thought about the similarity of Walt and John Coffee. I think mainly because I spent so much time focusing on the parallels between Coffee and Christ... that's one of my favorite discussions ever...

This is really fascinating to me--please give some more examples if you have more! I love opening my mind when my mind won't do it on its own...

Oh, there are TONS!!!!

The Stand
* Supporting character Larry Underwood bears many resemblances to Charlie, most notably his status as a musician and argument with his girlfriend.
* Characters Nick Andros and Locke share many similarities, notably both being disabled (Andros being deaf-mute and Locke being paralyzed; Locke was briefly mute in "Further Instructions").
* Frances Goldsmith is a character in The Stand reminiscent of Claire as both are young and pregnant as both tales start, with both giving birth during the tale. It should be noted that Frances Goldsmith's child becomes ill soon after birth, but survives, just like Aaron.
* Character Harold Lauder is reminiscent of Hurley as both are overweight and social outcasts to some degree. He is also reminiscent of Ben and Juliet in that they all turn against their people, causing many deaths.
* The leader of the 'good' group is called Abigail Freemantle and is 108 years old which may be related to the Numbers.
* Kate is an arsonist, as was the Trashcan Man, who liked to blow things up, just like Locke, and also had a "special" purpose.
* Very realistic dreams and premonitions are featured in the book and in Lost.
* In The Stand, the character Stuart Redman discusses Watership Down several times in the book (he couldn't put it down after he bought it as a gift for his nephew). This is the book Sawyer was reading and belonged to Boone before the crash.
* In The Stand, when the character Harold Lauder is constructing his bomb to destroy the town committee in book two, he discusses the fact that dynamite sweats pure nitroglycerin. This same effect is brought up by Leslie Arzt, an outcast much like Harold, in the Lost Season 1 Finale "Exodus, Part 2".
* In The Stand (and other King works), antagonist Randall Flagg is King's personification of the universe's agent of evil. Flagg wears a yellow smile-face button on the right breast of his denim jacket. Benjamin Linus claims to have crashed in a balloon whose canopy sported a big yellow smile-face.

The Green Mile
* Deals with and makes reference to deep religious themes in a very atypical setting, as does Lost.
* The Island's healing ability is very reminiscent of John Coffey's miracles.
* Paul Edgecomb is a very by the book character, and must learn to accept his job despite his affiliation with who he is executing, a theme which seems to be pushed on Jack by his father.
* The supporting antagonist, nicknamed "Wild Bill" by cellmates, uses a tactic of torturing two loved ones based on each other's actions, reminiscent of Sayid's plan for the Others and the overall theme to "The Glass Ballerina".

And you should read the Dark Tower series, it's REALLY good.

[/i]
thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another book suggestion: Kurt Vonnegut's Galapagos.

Quote:
Leon Trout, the ghost of a decapitated shipbuilder, narrates the humorous, ironic and sometimes carping decline of the human race, as seen through the eyes and minds of the survivors of a doomed cruise to the Galapagos Islands. Vonnegut's cast of unlikely Adams and Eves setting out in a Noah's ark includes Mary Hepburn, an American biology teacher and recent widow; Zenji Hiroguchi, a Japanese computer genius (who does not make it to the ship, although his language-translating and quotation-spouting computer does); his wife, Hisako, carrying radiated genes from the atomic bombs; James Wait, who has made a fortune marrying elderly women; and Captain Aolph von Kleist. Also included: six orphaned girls of the Kana-bono cannibal tribe, who will become the founding mothers of the fisherfolk after bacteria render all other women infertile.

SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this sounds like a really cool idea. I'd watch them for sure, tho I haven't read much of Stephen King at all. I love thrillers, so I'd be interested in seeing what you come up with. I mean, as you said, Lost has many similarities with his books.
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I feel like I want to go back and read all my favorite SK's again... Green Mile was my all time favorite, but I also really liked Rose Madder, Cell (or was it Cellular?), Hearts in Atlantis (which, if I really sat down and thought about, I could probably come up with a few Lost parallels, like the friendship between Bobby and Ted which is much like the one between Walt and Locke, respectively), Gerald's Game, It...I could go on for a while so I'll shut up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

im a big fan of king without reading much of his work (how does that work out.) I saw The Green Mile, yeah that was amazing! I really Liked the book and the movie Apt Pupil, its from the same book of short stories as The Shawshank Redemprtion (another one of my favorites) and Stand By Me. I really need to read more of his work though.
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg I forgot Stand By Me was Stephen King, Trey! I want to read Secret Window, Secret Garden, too, cuz I really liked the movie and I usually like the books even more...
FrecklesPhoenix
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolffootball37 wrote:
im a big fan of king without reading much of his work (how does that work out.) I saw The Green Mile, yeah that was amazing! I really Liked the book and the movie Apt Pupil, its from the same book of short stories as The Shawshank Redemprtion (another one of my favorites) and Stand By Me. I really need to read more of his work though.

Now see THERE'S something I've had a craving to do a vid for!!!

When I saw The Shawshank Redemption I fell in love with it! What an excellent film!! Then, later Sawyer had a prison related flashback and I was like "YES!!! LOST REDEMPTION!!!!" I could see it plain as day! Just take the concept of the Shawshank Redemption and use it for Sawyer. But I can't for the life of me find any clips from or trailers for The Shawshank Redemption. Even if I could just find some of the music from it. That would be awesome.

But anyway.... yeah, I like the Dark Tower idea best, so I'll probably go with that.
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG! Freckles, I sooo want to see that if you ever get a hold of any clips. Ask for it in the multi-fandom clips request...maybe someone can help. I knwo that there are a lot of sites with downloadable trailers.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah... only problem is, Shawshank is fairly old...

I don't know if there's a way to get that trailer...
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I can look around for you. Not sure I'll come up with anything tho.

EDIT: I didn't look at it, is this possibly it?

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=shawshankredemption

If it's not, I'm sure that you can download it off of YouTube!
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SassyLostie2 wrote:
Yeah, I can look around for you. Not sure I'll come up with anything tho.

EDIT: I didn't look at it, is this possibly it?

http://www.movie-list.com/trailers.php?id=shawshankredemption

If it's not, I'm sure that you can download it off of YouTube!

Yeah, that's it, but quicktime files (.mov format) won't work on Windows Movie Maker.

If you know of any way that I can MAKE .mov format stuff work for WMM, then that'd be great!
SassyLostie2
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you convert it? Maybe I can for you. Hold on...
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SassyLostie2 wrote:
Can you convert it? Maybe I can for you. Hold on...

AWESOME!!!!

If you could that is...

Thanks for trying!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: