Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ana/Kate song
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Ana/Kate song Reply with quote

Hey all. I'm starting a vid about these two ladies, angsty and perhaps slightly dark and I have no idea of what song to pick. i went through everything i had and the only one i even remotely liked was 'all the things she said' by tatu and i really dont want to use that cos its too cliche. any ideas will be welcome!!

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For something shippy-ish between the two, with either Jack or Sawyer: 'Jealousy,' Natalie Merchant - spin it whichever way you like.

For something non-shippy-ish:
I would love to see someone try '25th Floor/High on Rebellion', by Patti Smith, but that's probably way too 'out there.'

Try Sleater-Kinney and [url=http://www.lyricscafe.com/o/o'connor_sinead.htm]Sinead O'Connor[/url] too, and see if anything sticks.

Just some ideas, anyway. (Edit to add Sinead, and no, I don't know why the link won't work. It looks fine in the preview window.)

Last edited by thefilmchick on Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, ill check those out. It's a Kate/Ana femslash vid. Kana, i think the name is so i was thinking I'd do them not being able to figure out how to be together...hense the song issue, lol

Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use just a "regular" song that would work between their character "types" regardless of their gender. A lot of songs use "you" instead of "her/him" to specify who they're talking to, so you wouldn't have to call one of the ladies a guy...

You can also use a song sung by a guy who's using the female pronouns and that'll work, too. I personally don't worry about matching the gender of my singer to my character. If the song fits, then it doesn't matter in my opinion if the character singing it isn't the right gender for the character it's representing, unless of course, it's causing the pronouns to be wrong for the other character. Case in point, I'm doing "Can I Give You A Kiss?" as a Skate request right now. Kelly Clarkson is singing Sawyer's point-of-view quite well but thankfully she's not calling Kate a guy because the song is using "you" instead of "him."

Wow, ask for a song suggestion and stay for the lecture, huh?
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol, im caught in a rapture at ur lectures, Ais

I totally get what you're saying and I'm on board, im not opposed to any song at all but im drawing blanks. all the songs i have are too fluffy for what i want to do, i want something with a lil bit of an edge, if you catch my drift.

love that you chucked in a plug for ur skate vid, ill be sure to watch it

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:
Ok, ill check those out. It's a Kate/Ana femslash vid. Kana, i think the name is so i was thinking I'd do them not being able to figure out how to be together...hense the song issue, lol

25th Floor would actually work for that, as would a lot of other Patti Smith songs. Also some darker Melissa Etheridge, and also Joan Armatrading, the Indigo Girls, and Janis Ian. (Welcome to Lilith Fair! Heh.)
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleton_pace wrote:
love that you chucked in a plug for ur skate vid, ill be sure to watch it

D'oh, I didn't mean it as a plug, though it looks that way, doesn't it! I've only got, like, 3 seconds of it done so it'll be quite a while before it's done! A little early for me to be plugging it, lol!

littleton_pace wrote:
all the songs i have are too fluffy for what i want to do, i want something with a lil bit of an edge, if you catch my drift.

Yep, I do! I'm kinda drawing a blank off the top of my head right now, too...

ETA:

thefilmchick wrote:
Also some darker Melissa Etheridge, and also Joan Armatrading, the Indigo Girls, and Janis Ian. (Welcome to Lilith Fair! Heh.)

Lilith Fair, heh! Melissa Etheridge has a lot of great songs that would work, I'd wager! I'm not as familiar with the others, other than an Indigo Girls song here or there, but that all sounds like some promising suggestions!
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ill give them all a try. issue is i have all these ideas for clips and scenes that i can do and no song to go with it dam my tired brain!

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are the clips/scenes, or a general idea? I can probably find a good song out of the above-mentioned women (if memory serves, all are lesbian singer-songwriters), if I know what the gist is.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

general idea; kate and ana meet on the island and realize they like each other but since they're both previously straight they're slightly weirded out. and the fact that they're both strong women only adds to the angst doesnt have to be a lesbian singer, i just want a song that represents there love. lol thanks for all ur help

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibly angsty, with death, a beach, and a meet-up: Redondo Beach, Patti Smith (reggae-sounding.)

From Ana-Lucia's POV, maybe? Fugitive, by the Indigo Girls.

Will list any others that seem to be striking if I think of 'em.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! the lyrics to that patti smith one look fitting

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nifty. I'll toss the song up onto zshare when I get out of work (or if not then, then tomorrow night once my internet is - keepingmyfingerscrossed - 4 realz fixed. (Hopefully.)

If you don't like the song, no harm done, of course.
littleton_pace
Council Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh no dont worry about, ive got limewire Ill grab it and let you know what i think

EDIT; as nice as possible, not likeing the song sorry! its just a lil too upbeat. Evanescense is more the kinda sound im after, if that makes sense. thank you for your help tho, i appreciate it. if anymore spring to mind, let me know

ANOTHER EDIT: I found one to use. Try by Nelly Furtado. Not as dark as i thought, but the lyrics basically made the video in my mind. don't you love that? Thanks so much for all your help tho! it;s so sweet of you

thefilmchick
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries! The song is upbeat, even if it's got a dark sense of humor, so I figured it'd be either a total fit or not at all, heh.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Artistic Vidding Help All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: