Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Skate versus Jate Debate, Mate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 2:31 am    Post subject: The Skate versus Jate Debate, Mate Reply with quote

I posted this over at the Skate forum at lostforum but I never seem to get much in depth response over there. Especially because discussing ships is so taboo over there. I LOVE the healthy intelligent debate I get from you people so I'm posting the same thing over here. Enjoy and debate on!

_______

I am a fan of Jack and Kate as a romantic relationship and a fan of Kate and Sawyer (and Jack and Sawyer) as a friendship. I like to come over into the Skate forum all the time. Sometimes I disagree with what you guys say but I do the same with Jaters. I hate it when Skaters and/or Jaters are indignent and use absolutest (always, never, completely, obviously, fate, etc.) statements. Especially when it comes to the previews and spoilers!

I don't think that a Sawyer and Kate romantic relationship is something that grosses me out and I don't hate Sawyer and I most certainly don't "squee." Whatever "squeeing" is. I think Sawyer has great potential as a character. I really am looking forward to his storyline progressing in an intelligent and honest way. I only hope the writers depict it that way. I think he has the most potential for a moving story arch out of any of the other characters. That being said, I hope he retains that spark of personality that makes him who he is. I don't want them to bulldoze the character and create a new one. But I would like to see some character development. Sawyer is a really selfish character in my opinion, the same way Shannon was. He has made small progressions forward as the series has moved on, and I think watching him finally let these connections that he's made on this island influence him and change his perspective on some things is going to be great.

One thing that all of the characters have in common is that they have all been taken away the opportunity to run away. They are there and they have to deal with each other and so now the battle turns from the external world to an internal one. Sawyer has denied who he really is. He doesn't even use his real name. So maybe coming to grips with his own self and allowing himself to feel for other people and allowing them to take care of him and to give them thanks in return instead of just using them is something that Sawyer needs to learn to do and I believe he is beginning to learn that.

Just because I think that Jack and Kate are a better "couple" doesn't mean that I discount Sawyer.

I won't talk too much about what I think about the Sawyer/Kate relationship because I'm not quite sure it's appropriate for me to do so. I will say that I think that they have yet to do real bonding because he does not seem to be all that interested in who she really is. There's a comfort in Sawyer for her because of that, I think and that's where he draw comes in. He doesn't peel away the layers, rather accepts the whole enchilada. There's something great about that kind of a person, but it makes you wonder why they don't want to know the real you? Why they don't care enough to try to figure you out. I think that has a lot to do with what I was saying about Sawyer being selfish. It reminds me just how he gives everyone socially relevent nicknames. It's to put himself at a distance between his real self and their real selves. Tatoo, Mr. Miagi. Doc, Freckles, etc. etc. These labels are easy to manage and deal with, but it washes away who those people really are. He's a surface guy. Who Kate really was didn't matter to him at the time. Maybe, as Kate becomes more important to him, things will change.

I'm still a Jack and Kate shipper, but if the writers are bound and determined to tell me a story about Kate and Sawyer, I will follow. As long as the story is good. I'm not a Claire and Charlie shipper because I don't feel the writers have given that story any real depth. If it's told well and makes sense and the characters' motives are clear and not totally out of character, then I will have no problem who ends up with who.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperKC wrote:
I am a fan of Jack and Kate as a romantic relationship and a fan of Kate and Sawyer (and Jack and Sawyer) as a friendship.

It's funny because I feel exactly the opposite. I see Jack and Kate as having the friendship and Sawyer and Kate having the romance.

My opinion is probably pretty well known by now but, in short, it's this:

I don't feel any romantic vibes between Kate and Jack. I didn't even before I switched my line of thought on Sawyer from "great, it's the annoying Southern guy again" to "Yowie! Why didn't I put my glasses on before NOW??? Look at those dimples! Yee-HAW!" So it's not my Skater nature that's getting in the way, per se.

I've seen several Jate vids that have made me believe Jack has romantic feelings towards Kate but then as soon as I watch the eps themselves... Nope. Nada. Most of the "Jack *hearts* Kate" scenes used in Jate vids -- Jack crying by the fire at night being a common one, he's not really crying over Kate. That scene where he clasps a person to his chest and cries in relief that they're alive...? Uh, that's Charlie he's holding. That sort of thing. Those vid scenes are almost always manipulated to appear as something other than what they were actually filmed as. I, for one, believed him when he said he wasn't checking Kate out. I really don't think he was.

Anyway, only my opinion of course. And not sure if it qualifies for healthy, intelligent debate or not. But that's Aislynn's Reasons Why She's A Skater Not A Jater in 250 Words Or Less.

~Aislynn
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to hold to the opinion that the whole Skate relationship was more of a "fling" and Sawyer's attempt to punish himself further by shooting for a girl he could never get. However, it's evolved little by little, to a point now that I can't even recognize I didn't expect Kate to care as much as she did abotu not saying goodbye, and to care for Sawyer like she did in the last episode. I suppose there probably really is a relationship there. If it continues this way, fine. But for a long time Kate's been treating Sawyer like dirt. And if she doesn't stop he can and should end up with someone else (Kimmie's Sawyer/Claire vids seem to tell the future, don't they? )

Jate has practically NO chemistry, and I believe that's an intentional thing that the writers are doing, rather than "taking it slow". Something is holding it back, like Jack's morals of not wanting to get involved with someone who has killed a man However, it seems this is the "candid" relationship of the show, and nothing short of Jack turning gay is going to bring it to the front at least SOME time in the show. I'm interested in how it progresses like it does next episdoe based onthe previews I guess we'll find out soon.

C/C: still doesn't feel real That's all I have to say on it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
fallen_angel
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

meh..... we'll just see about Jate chemistry next week shall we
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
meh..... we'll just see about Jate chemistry next week shall we

Ais! Post that list I gave you! ;0 With spoiler tags, of course
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren's trying to get me in trouble with all the Jaters...
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jaters? The only jater here I see is me! Gah! I'm outnumbered. *quivers with fear*

Excuse me? Hobbes? There should be a "quivers with fear" smiley. Get on that would you?

EDIT:
Hobbes: Best I can do.
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jater over here!

*waves hand*

Banner: Shinythings
lostzilla
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jater here!!!!!

http://www.dontalmostgive.org
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah! My fellow Jaters to the rescue! (Aside: Quick! Sing your "Jaters to the Rescue" song!)

I feel better now. (Still need that smiley though.)
ebizmybef74
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[song]

We're here! We're here!
Jaters! Jaters! Jaters!
Where?
Jaters over there!
Jaters to the rescue!
When you need help!
We'll sing a tune!
And give a YELP!
Jaters to the rescue!
When you are down!
Always there for you!
We even come from the ground!!!!!
Jack! Kate! Jack! Kate!
What the hell is Skate?
Jaters! Jaters! Jater!
See you later!

[/song]

Yeah, i just made that up......

Banner: Shinythings
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

^ Brilliance!

You know what is funny? Over at L-F I can't seem to hang in the Jater section. They kind of scare me over there. But I am totally at home in the Skater section. I think it is because they welcome debate whereas the Jaters are like, "Opposition? Boo! Hiss! Get out! Get out! Off with their heads!" And the mods are like, "Yeah, what they said." Haha. It is way to totalitarian for me.

That is why I liked it over here. Everyone co-exists happily together.
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you notice, the Jaters here haven't actually retorted to anything we've said yet they just yelled catchphrases and chanted in Jater language!
Know why? No substance to the Jater relationship, that's why! Thus why nobody's able to think of a way to defend them by reasoning!
Oh I DID JUST GO THERE *z-snap*
MovieGuy
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren wins the 1st Monthly MG "Brownie" with Mary Jane in it
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you implying that I said something worthy of winning, that what I'm saying is crazy, or that I'm high?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: