Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Clip Theft: A Serious Issue
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it was me, dayln, and I was as upset about it as you seem to be, I would PM a mod, preferably Warren (Hobbes).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dayln03 wrote:
I was just wondering if umm you could report clip theft??
Because I just watched a recent video that someone uploaded here and there's maybe like 3 or 4 seconds of footage in their video that i know are clips from a video I just recently submitted.
There's no transitions or anything, but i can tell by the color and stuff that they're mine, i know they are.
And i dont know if there's a certain way that you go about handling it, cuz i dont use watermarks on my videos or anything, and maybe it's not long enough to be considered as theft but it kinda makes me mad.
So idk if i was supposed to say somethng about it on this thread or PM one of the moderators or what, but i thought i should at least say something.
So yeah....thanks to anyone who can let me know anything about it

Yes, absolutely PM one of the mods and we'll handle it! Make sure to give us the link to your vid and to the vid that has your clips in it. (It also doesn't hurt if you tell us exactly which clips they are or have the time codes for the clips where they occur in your vid and in the other vid as well -- it just helps save us from running all around the vid, trying to spot them on our own. )

We take clip theft very seriously and we do our best to make sure that vids with clip theft in them never make it on site. But without a watermark or some other sort of distinctive transition or effect, then we have to rely on people to report it when they notice it.

You've got every right to be miffed about it. After all, you did the work on those clips and somebody else is taking the credit for it! BUT a lot of times new vidders don't know that you're not supposed to take clips from other vids like that and it's an honest mistake.

Anyway, sorry that this happened to you and thanks for reporting it!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, sorry I crossposted you, Jen!
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're all right, Ais No problem
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, is it considered clip theft when you sort of mimic or use a same technique on the same scene from someone else’s video without actually stealing the actual clip. like lets say I watched a video and I go, hey I like how they did that, and I use that on my video, is that stealing? Just wondering, thanks.
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wolffootball37 wrote:
ok, is it considered clip theft when you sort of mimic or use a same technique on the same scene from someone else’s video without actually stealing the actual clip. like lets say I watched a video and I go, hey I like how they did that, and I use that on my video, is that stealing? Just wondering, thanks.

Technically no, it's not clip theft as long as you didn't take the actual scene from the other vid. However, using the same effect on the same scene, especially if it's a very distinctive-appearing effect on a note-worthy scene, will probably result in getting flagged initially for clip theft because that's something we look for in the absense of a watermark.

Obviously none of us owns an effect and we're all working with the same footage, so overlap is going to be unavoidable at times. But your best bet in that situation is to think about how to apply that technique or effect to your own vid in your own way and not use the exact same scene if at all possible. That way it won't raise any red flags as to whether or not it's clip theft. Hope that makes sense!
wolffootball37
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aislynn wrote:
wolffootball37 wrote:

Technically no, it's not clip theft as long as you didn't take the actual scene from the other vid. However, using the same effect on the same scene, especially if it's a very distinctive-appearing effect on a note-worthy scene, will probably result in getting flagged initially for clip theft because that's something we look for in the absense of a watermark.

Obviously none of us owns an effect and we're all working with the same footage, so overlap is going to be unavoidable at times. But your best bet in that situation is to think about how to apply that technique or effect to your own vid in your own way and not use the exact same scene if at all possible. That way it won't raise any red flags as to whether or not it's clip theft. Hope that makes sense!

ok, cool. thanks for clearing that up.
VPnymph
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I think this person nicked some clips off Uruviel, but I am not too sure, they definitley have her watermark on some of them, the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVQCkK1upKw if you wanna check it out.

Last edited by VPnymph on Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how do you get people for using your clips on youtube??

cause on this video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GAozUaGc-6c

they've used my clips off girlfriend and belxf's from this love.

ooh gets me angry
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_has_no_chance wrote:
Hey, I think this person nicked some clips off Uruviel, but I am not too sure, they definitley have her watermark on some of them, the link is http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TVQCkK1upKw if you wanna check it out.

So sorry I didn't see this before now! I'll be sure to pass this along to Uruviel! Poor thing, she gets clip thefted more than any other vidder I've ever seen! Thanks for calling this to our attention!

charmed_charlie wrote:
how do you get people for using your clips on youtube??

cause on this video
http://youtube.com/watch?v=GAozUaGc-6c

they've used my clips off girlfriend and belxf's from this love.

ooh gets me angry

Arrrrrgh! It makes me angry, too! There's not much that can actually be done, sad to say, other than just contacting the vidder through YouTube's message system and asking them to take down the vid because you don't want them using parts of your vid to make it. You really can't get YouTube involved in it, per se, because you really don't want to draw their attention to you and risk getting all of YOUR vids removed for copyright violation! So pretty much asking the clip thefter to take the vid down is all that any of us can do.
Charmed_Charlee
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that i did message them and they took the video down
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a single vidder thieve almost half of the clips I made for my Supernatural Into the Fire vid and disperse them through FIVE of her own videos. They used clips from a few of our other SVS vidders, including dayln, as well...we finally spammed them so bad with annoyed and angry comments that they took the vids down. My clips were the only ones watermarked, but they didn't even bother TRYING to cut out my watermark. Ugh, it's so infuriating! I hate seeing other people getting thieved
Skeezerbeans

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistojen wrote:
I had a single vidder thieve almost half of the clips I made for my Supernatural Into the Fire vid and disperse them through FIVE of her own videos. They used clips from a few of our other SVS vidders, including dayln, as well...we finally spammed them so bad with annoyed and angry comments that they took the vids down. My clips were the only ones watermarked, but they didn't even bother TRYING to cut out my watermark. Ugh, it's so infuriating! I hate seeing other people getting thieved

Hi, I know you have no idea who I am since I just joined (I'm Skeezer btw )but your Andy banner caught my attention (I love Andy), and then what you said caught my attention even more! Where did you catch this thief if you don't mind me asking? I've caught someone on Youtube before that stole one of my friend's clips, but none of mine have been stolen (as far as I know).

Also, I clicked on the SVS below your siggy...and low and behold, there is a Supernatural Vid forum that I didn't know existed! I've only made Supernatural vids, so far anyway.

So I just found your Into The Fire vid, (which is GREAT by the way), and I can't belive that person who stole your vid had the nerve to use it and didn't even try to remove the watermark that plainly states it's your video! Some people, sheesh.

Skeezerbeans' Station
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skeezerbeans wrote:
your Andy banner caught my attention (I love Andy),

ANDY FTW!

Quote:
Where did you catch this thief if you don't mind me asking? I've caught someone on Youtube before that stole one of my friend's clips, but none of mine have been stolen (as far as I know).

One of the other mods at SVS (Karowyn) was browsing random SPN vids on Youtube and saw my watermark in a vid. She pointed me to it and I went through that vidder's collection of SPN vids and clips from Into the Fire were in just about every single one.

Quote:
Also, I clicked on the SVS below your siggy...and low and behold, there is a Supernatural Vid forum that I didn't know existed! I've only made Supernatural vids, so far anyway.

OMG YAY! I hope you join us there!

Quote:
So I just found your Into The Fire vid, (which is GREAT by the way),

thank you!

Quote:
and I can't belive that person who stole your vid had the nerve to use it and didn't even try to remove the watermark that plainly states it's your video! Some people, sheesh.

Yeah, I'm thinking they either didn't know better (but then, how could you NOT...I mean, why the hell else would the watermark even BE there?!), they didn't know how, or they just didn't care. ugh.
Skeezerbeans

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still shaking my head over that clip thief not even caring about your watermark. That's just plain rude, not to mention dumb.

Skeezerbeans' Station

Last edited by Skeezerbeans on Tue Jul 24, 2007 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Videos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 6 of 16

Jump to: