Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

If this bill passes, there won't be any more fan videos.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not at all surprised about Megaupload. They ere way to commercial for being pretty muck illegal.

I got an email that both bills were dropped by Congress.

So I am happy about that.
eloramoon
Council Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bills haven't been dropped, exactly. They've simply "put the brakes" on the bills by postponing the vote. Again. I don't know if that's an indefinite postponement or whether they'll still decide to vote on them.

What concerns me more is everything that is happening despite SOPA/PIPA not being in place, like the Megaupload shut down and the TV Shack extradition. Especially since TV Shack was just a link site, not a hosting site. Granted, those sites made a lot of money off advertising on their sites, so they were making money off copyrighted material. But so does YouTube and so do other sites we use to upload or stream our videos. If a site like Megaupload can be shut down and its creators prosecuted for hosting copyrighted material, it's only a matter of time before YouTube follows or has to put their foot down about copyrighted material, which would probably mean no more fan videos. That is what has me the most concerned right now, and that can happen regardless of PIPA/SOPA.
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOPA has been stopped for the time being, so that's a step in the right direction. I don't think things will happen as DRASTICALLY or as FAST as they would if SOPA were passed. I think we should be all right for the time being, but we should keep our eyes peeled just in case.

http://mashable.com/2012/01/20/sopa-is-dead-smith-pulls-bill/
Here's an article about it.

art by me&tammy
Brooke
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Website being removed and it's creators being arrested has happened before. It's not anything new. I guess I am not that upset by Megaupload because I never use it.

It was a website that housed illegal downloads it's not that surprising it was taken down and it probably would have happened despite SOPA/PIPA.

Just last year a website that housed links to stream/download TV shows/movies was removed and the same happened to a site a few years before that.

I got this email earlier today.

A big hurrah to you!!!!! We’ve won for now -- SOPA and PIPA were dropped by Congress today -- the votes we’ve been scrambling to mobilize against have been cancelled.

The largest online protest in history has fundamentally changed the game. You were heard.

On January 18th, 13 million of us took the time to tell Congress to protect free speech rights on the internet. Hundreds of millions, maybe a billion, people all around the world saw what we did on Wednesday. See the amazing numbers here and tell everyone what you did.

This was unprecedented. Your activism may have changed the way people fight for the public interest and basic rights forever.

The MPAA (the lobby for big movie studios which created these terrible bills) was shocked and seemingly humbled. “‘This was a whole new different game all of a sudden,’ MPAA Chairman and former Senator Chris Dodd told the New York Times. ‘[PIPA and SOPA were] considered by many to be a slam dunk.’”

“'This is altogether a new effect,' Mr. Dodd said, comparing the online movement to the Arab Spring. He could not remember seeing 'an effort that was moving with this degree of support change this dramatically' in the last four decades, he added."

Tweet with us, shout on the internet with us, let's celebrate: Round of applause to the 13 million people who stood up - #PIPA and #SOPA are tabled 4 now. #13millionapplause
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Whatever All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: