Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3x12 - Par Avion Episode Discussion
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOSTOnAnIsland
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PsychoCynic wrote:
About the Sawyer appearance: I kind of am going both ways. I thought Sawyer's line in the beginning was appropriate (and funny since it reminded us of last week's pact), but the ending where they just showed him reading while Charlie read over Claire's note seemed out of place. It was like they just figured to stick him somewhere.

That's exactly how I felt. I hope that they don't keep doing this or they'll end up spoiling the Sawyer we all know and love!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
SuperKC
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cinthia, Re: Why not bag on Sawyer? Believe me I do! Just not in this particular ep.

I agree with Hobbes - I just don't get how anyone can like Charlie or defend him at this point. There's having squabbles with your friends and loved ones and then there's Charlie. He's just he always seems so entitled. Selfish is the best word I can think to describe the way he acts towards people. He's been pretty ugly to Hurley as well and had some snarky remarks with a few others as well. Not just Claire.

You say that you like that he helps around the baby but on the flipside, he also gets INCREDIBLY possessive whenever anyone else tries to help Claire with Aaron or even comes around Aaron and/or Claire. And by anyone else, I mean anyone MALE. *cough*locke&desmond*cough* Annoyingly possessive. Not just a furtive glance or something, but all "You're treading on my turf, buster." Buzzah?!?!

Jen said that everyone's been nasty to someone when they themselves were feeling bad from time to time and that's true. And perhaps you identify with that more than I do. But Charlie does it ALL THE TIME. That's not forgivable. I mean, that's EXACTLY the justification for him conspiring with Sawyer and kidnapping Sun. He wanted to punish Locke (and perhaps the group as a whole) for outcasting him. There's no justification for that. Charlie is NOT A CHILD. He doesn't get to act like that without someone going, "hey... isn't that kind of childish/selfish?"

Re: Claire being "nasty" to Charlie. Anytime Claire has been not-so-nice or blown up at Charlie it has always been a result of something that he did. I've always felt she was justified in her actions. Charlie, not so much.

ONE LAST NOTE: Charlie is almost the opposite of Sawyer.

I am very frustrated with the Sawyer character, but he does every NOW AND THEN show these softer shades of humanity within that tough exterior. Which makes me believe that eventually, EVENTUALLY he will want redemption and that he does really care about people other than HIMSELF. He consistently proves that theory wrong by being a jerk again, but the format is still there. Which is "evil on the outside, nice on the inside."

On the OUTSIDE Charlie seems like this really sweet guy who cares about everybody. But the further in you get, the uglier he gets. Which is maybe why people have less sympathy for him than they have for Sawyer. He's more like "nice on the outside, evil on the inside."
KiraMarie
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmk. totally agree with you. My biggest issue with Charlie is how mean he is. I mean, Hurley for one. He has always been super mean to Hurley and never believed him about anything, especially when it is something from the heart. Charlie is not a good friend. And yes, he is really really possessive. And everyone just lets him! I wish that people would sometimes just say "shut the hell up!" like when Locke was holding Aaron in (I dont remember the episode) and Charlie walks up and says "I was going to take Aaron so you could go on your walk" and even though Locke has got it all fine, he just basically forces Locke to give Aaron to him. Its ridiculous!

At least when Sawyer is mean it's funny or witty. He is mean, but he is more "psh" mean, rather than "did he just seriously say that?" mean like Charlie. There is a sense of bitterness in Charlie's retorts. And while Sawyer has some icky character flaws at least his flaws are fun to listen to. He's the comedian, Charlie's just an ass. If that makes sense.

http://www.youtube.com/10thkingdomfanatic
KiraMarie
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Aislynn"]

...yep. You see, without a Sawyer appearance and/or line in every Lost episode, the Sawyerettes universally begin to emit this whining noise, which, as the Sawyerless episode goes on, begins to cause sonic vibrations which makes innocent bystanders start foaming at the mouth, twitching, then eventually collapsing to the ground and -- yes, sadly -- death. See this ep for further proof... What? You didn't know Mikhail was a Sawyerette? Yes, it's true! Someone gave him the information that Sawyer was not going to be seen or heard from in this ep and look at what happened! So the writers quickly added a few vital, necessary scenes in. And thus, the rest of the Losties and the audience alike were spared that nasty fate! Save the Southern Boy, Save the World!

[/end Sawyerette spin doctor moment]
quote]

Ok seriously that is the funniest thing I have ever read. And I didnt mean to get all Charlie haterish before, I didnt mind him in this episode, I just don't like him in general.

As for the episode, dude! dude! dude! so cool. First, I thought it was funny when Claire said to Christian "I dont even know your name, and I don't want to" Nice plug by the writers to answer why Claire didnt recognize Jack's name from the very beginning. lol.

Second, that was the best acting I've ever seen Emelie de ravin do. I thought she was a terrible actress, but she didnt do half bad that episode.

Third, the Jack playing football thing was cool

Fourth, I want Emilie's eyes. haha. No really, I was gonna say I love Desmond and I really want some Daire. Maybe in a later episode! lol. Ok I'm done talking.

IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked this episode. I thought the flashbacks were really good and intresting, the on-island stuff was excellent, and the ending would've left me like if I hadn't read a spoiler that told me the ending

As a Jack/Kate shipper I must comment on her determination, which I thought was sweet. Especially the little talk she had with Danielle, which was cool on Danielle's part with the whole 'my-daughter-won't-even-know-who-I-am-when-I-rescue-her' thing.

Also, OMG. Eye patch guy's death was FREAKIN DISGUSTING. I never wanna see something like that EVER AGAIN.

Overall - Very good episode. One of the strongest/best in the season.

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
KiraMarie
Novice Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You never want to see it again? Maybe I'm just gross, but I want to see it again! I thought it was awesome! lol

By the way, every time I see your sig I almost have a heart attack. I love Alex Turner! He is so hot and his voice....sigh...kill me now. I think I'm one of the few Americans who knows about the Arctic Monkeys, too. At least this part of the US, anyway.

LOSTOnAnIsland
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ew, Patchy's death was pretty gruesome. The whole blood spurting out of his ears etc...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
IntoTheVoid
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He is isn't he?!

But seriously? I had to look away when he the spit-froth stuff happend. And the blood coming out from his ears... please.

Edit: Cross posted with ya Ash! Apologies

"Jack is the guy she should be with.
She does genuinely love him.
And she knows that he would take excellent care of her." - Damon Lindelof
LOSTOnAnIsland
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe it's ok I'm always cross-posting!

Totally with you on Patchy's death though!
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiraMarie wrote:
Aislynn wrote:

...yep. You see, without a Sawyer appearance and/or line in every Lost episode, the Sawyerettes universally begin to emit this whining noise, which, as the Sawyerless episode goes on, begins to cause sonic vibrations which makes innocent bystanders start foaming at the mouth, twitching, then eventually collapsing to the ground and -- yes, sadly -- death. See this ep for further proof... What? You didn't know Mikhail was a Sawyerette? Yes, it's true! Someone gave him the information that Sawyer was not going to be seen or heard from in this ep and look at what happened! So the writers quickly added a few vital, necessary scenes in. And thus, the rest of the Losties and the audience alike were spared that nasty fate! Save the Southern Boy, Save the World!

[/end Sawyerette spin doctor moment]

Ok seriously that is the funniest thing I have ever read.

Thank you kindly.
Noj
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that was a pretty good ep. Emile de Ravin looks hot with black hair But thinking back to Season 1 episode 10, where she finds out she's pregnant. She says her mum would disown her, and Thomas said "she practically has already". Man that's seriously harsh since she must've been in a coma at that point!!

Anyways, good ep. The little jungle expedition wasn't bad, eyepatch mans death was pretty good, sonic waves and all, can't go wrong Kate looking rough n ready, mmhm Ending was pretty good, wanna see what they do with that, because they can't TRULY turn Jack. I mean come on. Must be an act on his part methinks, I have faith.

Charlie-Claire stuff was nice, just wish he'd be 100% honest with her all the time though. Mistakes teach lessons Charlie! But overall it was nice, good to see more of her actual back story, since it's been over 2 seasons since we saw her real-world life! Good stuff, and clarification of Christian being her father (Ace John Terry being in there, love it)

Sawyer was just pointless though. Ok the nickname thing made sence, but the shot at the end was utterly pointless.

Tear The World Apart - Just To See If You're Right
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
rbexter93
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Noj wrote:
Well that was a pretty good ep. Emile de Ravin looks hot with black hair But thinking back to Season 1 episode 10, where she finds out she's pregnant. She says her mum would disown her, and Thomas said "she practically has already". Man that's seriously harsh since she must've been in a coma at that point!!

Anyways, good ep. The little jungle expedition wasn't bad, eyepatch mans death was pretty good, sonic waves and all, can't go wrong Kate looking rough n ready, mmhm Ending was pretty good, wanna see what they do with that, because they can't TRULY turn Jack. I mean come on. Must be an act on his part methinks, I have faith.

Charlie-Claire stuff was nice, just wish he'd be 100% honest with her all the time though. Mistakes teach lessons Charlie! But overall it was nice, good to see more of her actual back story, since it's been over 2 seasons since we saw her real-world life! Good stuff, and clarification of Christian being her father (Ace John Terry being in there, love it)

Sawyer was just pointless though. Ok the nickname thing made sence, but the shot at the end was utterly pointless.

I agree with almost everything you said there!
Wasn't Christian arguing with Claires mum in two for the road? wierd.
I loved it though! Emilie was uber sweet and very nice PB+J. I was squeeing through it!
I don't really get why you were dissing Charlie in this episode though. He didn't do much wrong....
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well like Cinthia said I'm no going to get into why I like Charlie ... it won't change anyone's opinion...

I will say that I didn't find him being mean or a jerk at all to Claire... I mean he was in a situation where he was just told by Desmond what would happen if he did help Claire... yeah maybe he could have thought of a better excuse I don't know... but he doesn't go out and intentionally try and hurt Claire. The reason he kept it from her was so she wouldn't worry. Charlie isn't perfect but I also felt that him reading what Claire wrote at the end and telling her how great it was .... was his way of just letting her know that he does care about her idea.

And that's all I have got to say

~byhttp://irises.livejournal.com/
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KC - thank you, you said it better than I ever could (or did, for that matter). Totally agree on all parts.
And just to add: does Charlie learn lessons...? I mean, he got in huge trouble from Claire for lying to her before about the drugs, and now he does it again (for what? to protect her? make her feel better..?). Though it was probably just a writers ploy to make a plot for the ep where there wouldn't have been one , it's another prime example of the stuff Charlie does that I just don't get.
But I know how the story is supposed to go - druggie starts out bad then gets turned around by the end. I get it. But he certainly hasn't done that now. Maybe you aren't "giving up on him", but he's still a selfish jerk right now. I'm sure we'll end up liking him before the end, as he finally turns around and does something good for once, but... meh I'm just kinda confused with this constant fan base.

mistojen wrote:
Hobbes wrote:
(Jen's last post: that defends him, but doesn't answer my question. )

mistojen wrote:
I like that Charlie is flawed like this, because, of all the character flaws on this show, I feel like Charlie's tendency to be selfish and self-absorbed is the most realistic and common character flaw...one which, it seems, the other characters on the show seem to be higher than

That is what I see. So...it kind of does answer your question. It also doesn't hurt that when he's with Hurley, he makes me smile in the midst of all the angst, drama, and boring "action" sequences that they've had on lately

I've liked Charlie from the start, and I still do, because, yeah, he's a jerk...but his character has never been given a random 180 like Locke or Jack, or hell, even Sawyer with the random "I love you, too" stuff in 3x06, which was SO out of character. I like that even if some of the things he does are stupid or the things he says are mean, he's always in character and always has been. At least, as far as I'm concerned. Others might not see it the same way, I guess. *shrug*

I guess that's the difference. I don't find him realistic, but you and others do. Fair enough. I can't say I understand why though.

Quote:
But thinking back to Season 1 episode 10, where she finds out she's pregnant. She says her mum would disown her, and Thomas said "she practically has already". Man that's seriously harsh since she must've been in a coma at that point!!

I wondered that too - probably just talking about her aunt as her "mom" in that case. And ditto with Christian's argument in Ana Lucia's last flashback.

Back to Claire:
KiraMarie wrote:

I want Emilie's eyes. haha. No really, I was gonna say I love Desmond and I really want some Daire. Maybe in a later episode! lol. Ok I'm done talking.

I totally understand what you mean . Do those things glow in the dark or something?
KiraMarie wrote:

that was the best acting I've ever seen Emelie de ravin do. I thought she was a terrible actress, but she didnt do half bad that episode.
Also totally with you on that. As I said, I am really liking Claire after this ep. I hope we have more opportunities for Claire to be in a new situation than this angry protective mother role she constantly has going on (though thinking back, I reeeeaaaallly liked Claire's S2 ep at the Medical station where she had flashbacks to Ethan.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Noj
Intermediate Vidder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rbexter93 wrote:
Noj wrote:

I agree with almost everything you said there!
Wasn't Christian arguing with Claires mum in two for the road? wierd.
I loved it though! Emilie was uber sweet and very nice PB+J. I was squeeing through it!
I don't really get why you were dissing Charlie in this episode though. He didn't do much wrong....

I'm not dissing Charlie, I love him, he doesn't do anywhere near enough anymore. But he got in trouble with Claire before because he lied to her, and now over things he CAN tell her he's not being upfront with it.
He's gotta stop that or he's never gonna get Claire!

Tear The World Apart - Just To See If You're Right
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: