Lost Video Island Forum Index Lost Video Island
A Multifandom Vidding site

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Discuss: Has "LOST gone too far?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marcus
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooangeliceviloo wrote:
When it comes to killing off characters, no I don't think they are going too far.

TPTB can't make a poll every week to ask "which character would you like killed off next?" to suit the fanbases. I'm sorry, but it can't be done. Most likely, Jack, Kate, and Sawyer will stay, because their fanbases are WAAAY higher than the others I think.

This is a show, and it has to at least look half-real, and the island is dangerous. There are people who would kill, steal babies, there are polar bears, there is big ol' Smokie, then there is just the natural surviving on an island dilemna. TPTB can't just say "Well Boone was supposed to get killed, but since the fanbase is too big we're gonna have to let him live" That's unfair to the writers and to the show.

The constant answered questions with more questions thing does yes get annoying, but that has been the way they've done it from day one. I think if you're able to go two seasons with it, you can go three too. That's just the way the show is. If they answered all the questions, then what would happen? Nothing, there would be nothing left to ask, and nothing left to watch the show for.

If all questions were answered, then it would become a show about a bunch of people on an island, relationship drama and the like, making it too much like survivor for my tastes. The show would probably be cancelled then. If all my questions were answered for me, I wouldn't have a show to watch anymore. I'd simply go "Okay, they answered my question, I'll go watch MTV now" It would be boring to have all questions answered without creating more questions.

This is not your run of the mill drama or reality show. This one has mystery and science fiction, which makes it different from the rest. Perhaps that's why people stop watching. It has been a long while since a show like this has been on the air, and since then, it's been nothing but Desperate Housewives, Big Brother, Amazing Race, and Survivor. We're not used to having such a show with so many questions, and I think that's why people get frustrated.

My mom still watches the show, and is still interested, as am I. I'm okay with not having my questions answered just yet, I'm a patient person, and I watch the show for the show and the entertainment it brings me. If noone else does, that's fine, whatever floats their boats, but I'm not going to stop, and no, not even if Kate, Jack, or Sawyer gets killed off. If a person just watched the show for one character and one character only, I guess they weren't interested in the show to begin with. No offense, but that's how it is. If you watch a baseball game for one player, because he's hot or something, then you're not watching the game, you're just watching that person, and that's the comparison I make. I love Sawyer, I love watching him, but I wouldn't quit if he was dead. I watch for storylines, mystery, science fiction, and just the feel of the show. I'm a true fan and it sucks to see that this show is losing so many fans because they can't have their answers right now. Patience is a virtue.

I completely agree with everything said in that post. I sit back, enjoy what's happening, and don't expect anything. And I still love the show more than ever.

Rocksiren wrote:
I am saying SOME of the questions could be answered...as annoying as X-Files was, we did get answers (even if they were "little" answers) along the way.

That would make sense if we didn't get answers every episode. But we do. They may be small but in this show I think pretty much everything counts. If you're only watching the show now to yell at the TV on Wednesday nights and to be able to watch vids and know what's going on in them, there's really not much point in watching it.

It's official - Aislynn is 36. Add a 0 to the end of that and you've got a full circle.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooangeliceviloo wrote:
My post was just my opinion and my discussion on how I MYSELF feel about it. Please don't take offense, it's only an opinion.

...just wanna jump in and let you know that even though I agreed with Rocksiren (and still do), didn't mean that I felt you were ragging on us. Felt I needed to clarify Truce?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hobbes
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol my mom's friend gave up on it, and my mom is starting to give up on it They say "It's just too complicated"

In my opinion, Lost has been getting better since about the last quarter of the second season, and has constantly been doing so. It's been getting more intriguing and dramatic, which I love. But from a more casual fan's POV, "intriguing" and "dramatic" are just other words for "confusing" and "nerveracking" . I think Lost is putting off the tv-flicking people who watch it. But you know what? I say good riddance. Lost SHOULDN'T be run by people like that who don't care about story or intrigue, but just want to see fun scenes, funny jokes, and shirtless Sawyers. Lost is better without them.
Of course, Lost CAN'T survive without those people, so if it isn't already ccatering to them, it will start soon and suddenly the hardcore fans will be disliking it. Great, just great.

P.S. on the subject of char killing:
Dear writers:
If killing characters is for the sake of realism and storyline, then why do the "least popular" characters die? I know the answer, but still. You're supposed to stand up to bullies, like the public, to tell your story.
Oh well... so far they actually kinda have handled them fairly well, considering the circumstances. The deaths have has SOME sort of point to them, and they haven't sacrificed any major major characters that might have put the show in danger. I'm not disappointed with the way deaths are handled right now. And I'm interrested on who bites the bullet next.... scared though. Whoever it is, I'm not sure I'll be happy unless their death has a MAJOR impact on the story.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Aislynn
Council Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
but just want to see fun scenes, funny jokes, and shirtless Sawyers

Not that there's anything wrong with wanting to see shirtless Sawyer, right, Warren??? *glares*

I hear you. If they pander to the casual viewer, that will make it too "simple" for the hardcore fan. If they make it deep and complex enough for the hardcore fan, then the casual viewer is going to be confused and channel surf right on by. It's a lose-lose situation in that respect.
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hobbes wrote:
but just want to see fun scenes, funny jokes, and shirtless Sawyers.

...now, now...don't be jealous, Warren

But, to be fair, I agree with you on that point entirely. If the writers cater to casual viewers, those of us who have been watching forever are going to get really disinterested really quickly, because they'll have to dummy down the story for those who haven't been paying any attention. God, I hope they don't do that... and yeah, I meant you, Warren, when I said God. Promise to hunt down the writers and try the ever-risky fire-breathing/laser-shooting combo on them if they do that to us loyal Lost-watchers?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Fan4Lost
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warren is just begging for an angry mob of Sawyerettes to jump him. He might actually like that!
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mistojen wrote:
ooangeliceviloo wrote:
My post was just my opinion and my discussion on how I MYSELF feel about it. Please don't take offense, it's only an opinion.

...just wanna jump in and let you know that even though I agreed with Rocksiren (and still do), didn't mean that I felt you were ragging on us. Felt I needed to clarify Truce?

Okay truce lol. Sometimes my opinion steps on peoples' toes, so I wanted to get that out there
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Whoa whoa WHOA, I wasn't ragging on anyone okay? I was discussing this, and that's my take on it. What I don't get is why everyone wants answers now now now when we're only coming up on the 5th episode of the season. Like I said in my last post, you're entitled to feel the way you do, you are the viewer. My post was just my opinion and my discussion on how I MYSELF feel about it. Please don't take offense, it's only an opinion.

Nah its cool

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
Rocksiren
Expert Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm 100% with you. I don't mean for EVERY question to be answered, either, because then, yeah, why bother continuing to watch, but I think that instead of just continually adding more and more questions and NEVER answering ANY...how about a fair trade off of "here's your answer for this, now you should wonder about THIS...dumdumDUUUUUUUMMMMM...." ya know? It's just starting to get a little annoying and it's like what if Lost gets cancelled prematurely for some reason or another (yeah, it's happened to other shows, and as far as I'm concerned, no show is ever SAFE from this, no matter what it's fanbase is like. Depends on a LOT of things whether or not a show stays on the air, not just ratings.) then we're NEVER going to get our answers and that'll leave a LOT of fans with a sour taste in their mouth about the show.

Thanks!

"You are just an encyclopedia of weirdness." ~ Supernatural
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocksiren wrote:
Quote:
I'm 100% with you. I don't mean for EVERY question to be answered, either, because then, yeah, why bother continuing to watch, but I think that instead of just continually adding more and more questions and NEVER answering ANY...how about a fair trade off of "here's your answer for this, now you should wonder about THIS...dumdumDUUUUUUUMMMMM...." ya know? It's just starting to get a little annoying and it's like what if Lost gets cancelled prematurely for some reason or another (yeah, it's happened to other shows, and as far as I'm concerned, no show is ever SAFE from this, no matter what it's fanbase is like. Depends on a LOT of things whether or not a show stays on the air, not just ratings.) then we're NEVER going to get our answers and that'll leave a LOT of fans with a sour taste in their mouth about the show.

Thanks!

Lovin' the sig there RockSiren
mistojen
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooangeliceviloo wrote:

Lovin' the sig there RockSiren

I second that
xgene
Advanced Vidder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LoL, no one else in my family really watches for the actual show really as I can't even strike up a godd conversation about the show except when my sister notices a new "hunk" . They're not really into with all the details story wise cause it is a bit much without answers. I bet they watch it for the eye candy *coughSawyercough*, but I won't hold that against them. Still, I guess it is still enjoyable if you watch it just on the fly...maybe.

IMO, I love the show but for some reason I'm losing the "excited for next episode" feeling. I'm more excited for a show airing tonight more than any Lost episode so far and I'm not saying what show cause it's sort of a family-soapy

There is a lot of repitition and cycling in Lost. Jack needing to "fix" or "burry" his problems spread 2 freakin seasons! Sawyer's last flashback added really no flavor to the character that wasn't somehow already seen in some shape or form before and I don't even want to get into some characters. I mean it's season 3 stop micro-developing the characters and for goodness sake stop adding new characters that will have flashbacks that will take away from the original cast (unless its a flashback about the others).

Alright...I'm doing with my rant.

I have spread my dreams under your feet; tread softly because you tread on my dreams.
xXAngelicEvilXx

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xgene wrote:
LoL, no one else in my family really watches for the actual show really as I can't even strike up a godd conversation about the show except when my sister notices a new "hunk" . They're not really into with all the details story wise cause it is a bit much without answers. I bet they watch it for the eye candy *coughSawyercough*, but I won't hold that against them. Still, I guess it is still enjoyable if you watch it just on the fly...maybe.

IMO, I love the show but for some reason I'm losing the "excited for next episode" feeling. I'm more excited for a show airing tonight more than any Lost episode so far and I'm not saying what show cause it's sort of a family-soapy

There is a lot of repitition and cycling in Lost. Jack needing to "fix" or "burry" his problems spread 2 freakin seasons! Sawyer's last flashback added really no flavor to the character that wasn't somehow already seen in some shape or form before and I don't even want to get into some characters. I mean it's season 3 stop micro-developing the characters and for goodness sake stop adding new characters that will have flashbacks that will take away from the original cast (unless its a flashback about the others).

Alright...I'm doing with my rant.

While yes, Jack did go through two seasons having to 'fix' or 'bury' his problems, in this season and the premiere (which I thought was emotionally awesome due to him) he actually had to FACE his problems. You cannot bury them until you face them. Hopefully his character will progress through the season instead of going back to the old "I have problems" deal. He's faced his demons which I think is pivotal for the character.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Lost Video Island Forum Index -> Lost Talk All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: